Loa of Light?

90 Human Mage
I've been thinking a bit about troll priests who use holy magic. As I understand it, priests in troll society are pretty much an offshoot of shamans; whereas shamans and mages get their powers from Loa associated with elementals or the arcane, priests get their power from Loa associated with shadow or light.

But are any Loa associated with the Light? Do the trolls have, say, a sun-god?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
No. Loa are animal gods. An'she isn't associated with the holy light either.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
So where do troll holy priests get their powers?
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
The Light is based on faith.

I believe by the trolls having faith in the loas, they can simply draw upon the 'light' to their own whims without worshipping the light itself. There is no light loa, thier faith allows them acess to the Light.
Edited by Ximothy on 2/20/2013 2:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
02/20/2013 02:01 AMPosted by Gibbons

They're loa priests. They use the light because of game mechanics, nothing else.
Edited by Lena on 2/20/2013 2:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/20/2013 02:02 AMPosted by Lena

They're loa priests. They use the light because of game mechanics, nothing else.

I'd say on the most part this is correct, much like the Elune Priestesses.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I thought the Loa weren't just animal spirits, and that they could be associated with pretty much anything. Wikipedia certainly implies as much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa

The Rada Loa, for example, seem pretty Light-based to me.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
I thought the Loa weren't just animal spirits, and that they could be associated with pretty much anything. Wikipedia certainly implies as much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa

The Rada Loa, for example, seem pretty Light-based to me.

Wikipedia is not your friend. Seriously. Anyway I think it was stated in the game that the Loa were ancient animal spirits that grant power to those loyal to them. The more loyal you are the more power you gain. That's how Trolls got to be Druids.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/20/2013 02:01 AMPosted by Gibbons

Voodoo.

Alternate answer: They don't exist except for Zabra Hexx.

Consider the Darkspear Priest trainer in Orgrimmar boasts the title of "Shadow-Walker" and his quests all provide items with said name.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
What about Bwonsamdi?
He's not a animal spirit but he is still a Loa.
On the Wowpedia page it says
"Loas are powerful spirits who have been a part of the world predating even the titans. Countless Loa exist, most weak, but some very powerful. Most are shapeless, whereas others have animal or creature forms."

So its probably entirely possible for their to be a Loa that uses the Light, and that we just don't know about it yet.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Loa are typically spirits that embody the essence of a particular animal, but not necessarily. The most obvious example is Hakkar the Soulflayer, who is a loa of blood but appears to be a very modified wind serpent, in contrast to Quetz'lun, who is explicitly a wind serpent loa.

Other examples include Bwonsamdi, Guardian of the Dead (a darkspear loa); Ueetay no Mueh'zala: God of Death, Father of Sleep, Son of Time, the Night's Friend (a sandfury loa); and Zanza, a zandalari loa whose aspects are unknown but appears to take the form of a ghostly troll.

A loa of light wouldn't likely be explicitly of light, but would probably be some other force/creature that might have connections to light. Dragonhawks are connected to fire (fairly obviously) and eagles are connected to lightning (less obviously); it's perfectly reasonable for another creature to have a connection that would easily manifest as light even if it's not as obvious. Another sort of bird could easily be likely, or even a plant loa of some form could be reasonable.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Bownsamdi seems a cool loa for shadow priests to worship. Like when trolls turn into animal forms like their animal loa, the shadowform can be the result in Bwonsamdi worship. However I don't know about loas for holy priests.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/20/2013 08:55 AMPosted by Hammerlóck
Wikipedia is not your friend.

There is nothing wrong with Wikipedia.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Except that Wikipedia's definition of "loa" has almost no bearing upon the term as it applies to WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
"Light" is a type of magic derived from faith.

"The Light" is what the Alliance races call it when dealing with priests or paladins.

"The Holy Light" is the name of the main religion of the Alliance.

The way Trolls cast the Light is not the same as humans. Humans follow their Three Holy Virtues and, in time, their faith in them gives them the ability to cast spells.

Trolls put their faith in the loa, and that faith ultimately manifests itself as Light magic. But it has nothing to do with the philosophies of the Holy Light, which is a specific religion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
02/20/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
Except that Wikipedia's definition of "loa" has almost no bearing upon the term as it applies to WoW.

Why not? The Loa in real life are spirits in Haitian Vodou, and troll religion (particularly Darkspear religion) is based on Haitian Vodou.

Besides, the Haitians incorporated some elements of Christianity into their religion as a result of their contact with the Europeans.

We know that the Darkspears have had similar contact with the humans of Kul Tiras (http://www.wowpedia.org/Riders_on_the_Storm), so they could have incorporated some elements of Kul Tiras' religion into their own in the same way.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
At this point, I'm not even sure. It's entirely possible that all priests in this world get their powers from the light.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/20/2013 11:52 AMPosted by Gibbons

Why not? The Loa in real life are spirits in Haitian Vodou, and troll religion (particularly Darkspear religion) is based on Haitian Vodou.

Besides, the Haitians incorporated some elements of Christianity into their religion as a result of their contact with the Europeans.

We know that the Darkspears have had similar contact with the humans of Kul Tiras (http://www.wowpedia.org/Riders_on_the_Storm), so they could have incorporated some elements of Kul Tiras' religion into their own in the same way.

Troll religious beliefs, and therefore priests, most likely pre-date the existence of Humans on Azeroth. Trolls are one of the most, if not most, ancient races of Azeroth while humans are one of the youngest "native" races.

Also, real-world resources are irrelevant in WoW lore discussions; even if Troll religious beliefs are inspired by on Haitian Vodou, they're not Haitian Vodou.

Many races' priests wield "The Holy Light" for game mechanics reasons only. Hell, from a lore perspective Gnome priests are actually medical doctors and have nothing to do with faith, religion or the Light.

As Lena said: "They're loa priests. They use the light because of game mechanics, nothing else."
Reply Quote
Wikipedia is not your friend. Seriously. Anyway I think it was stated in the game that the Loa were ancient animal spirits that grant power to those loyal to them. The more loyal you are the more power you gain. That's how Trolls got to be Druids.

Yeah, that's not what the Loa are either. The Loa are a combination of primordial old gods, quasi-dimensional monsters like Hakkar, ancestor spirits of sometimes immense power like Bwonsamdi, and the animal spirits you are used to watching them channel before killing them in dungeons.

Amongst the eclectic group of various sources that make up the Loa, it's perfectly reasonable to expect a source of holy power.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If there is a Loa of Blood and apparently Shadow, it stands to reason that a Light Loa would exist. But what would it manifest itself as? All the Loa I've seen manifest as something. Would it be extremely selfish and possessive like 90% of the Loa or would it allow others to teach their priests like the Druid Loa did.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]