why do you even bother still?

90 Undead Warlock
I just don't know that lock=mage now is true, in that they both feel a lot different in play style.

I've been leveling a frost mage, he's at 88, and I just don't see any real similarities in style. Chubwubwub (named for a friend's dear departed chihuahua) plays nothing like this toon. It's the most boring rotation ever...frost bolt, proc fingers, ice lance, repeat.

Kiting is simply rooting, and stand and cast, root and blink, do it again. (pve, mind you, he hasn't done pvp since about lvl 70).

Nope, two vastly different playstyles.

Now, do I deny we've lost some important things that made us different? nope.

The original felpup paranoia, dark pact, drain mana, detect invis (seriously, buff mage's invis, and then remove teh only way to detect it?).

The biggest change is what nobody has mentioned - Locks were the anti-caster caster - those were our real prey. We were the "other" pet class...now, everybody gets some kind of pet or summonable companion.

We were tanky, because other dps classes/specs didn't have self healing.

So, while I still love this lock, and don't find the style/feel has degraded nearly as bad as some of you, yeah, I'm vaguely bitter about some things that have been done.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
yeah I miss being able to dump an infernal on noobs in orgrimmar, it seems alot of what made warlocks warlocks are gone

it's like they took that patch that introduced soulstones into 3 rune like thing, then just chucked it into all our specs like "here you go!"
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/16/2013 08:10 AMPosted by Vual
Chubwubwub (named for a friend's dear departed chihuahua) plays nothing like this toon

CUTEST NAME EVER. /omgcutegasm.

/clears throat
anyways...

Kiting is simply rooting, and stand and cast, root and blink, do it again. (pve, mind you, he hasn't done pvp since about lvl 70).

I disagree. Kiting, in my opinion, refers to in-general keeping a distance between your enemy and yourself. While mages kite with slows/roots(and blink), warlocks I think are given things like burning rush and KJC to kite with movement. Warlocks were primarily not "kiting" classes before this. It's why things like demonic circle teleport had a 40 second cd and can be considered a "new" spell. Soulburn teleport even gives a movement speed buff.

I refer to these as "new" because they were not "original". for exampl, grimoire of sacrifice, while being "new" in that it came in pandaria, was based off the old spell "demonic sacrifice". "new" in this sense applies to things introduced that were not in the "original" warlock. Soul link, for example, was always intended to mitigrate large amounts of damage, just as drain life was alwyas intended to self heal a lot while dealing an okay amount of damage.

I feel things like the new blood horror and archimonde's vengeance are definately more of a testament to the traditional warlock. You hit the warlock, and the warlock does something to you. Plain and simple. As opposed to these new spells like unbound will, old blood fear, KJC and burning rush that say "don't get hit, don't get caught, just kite"

The original felpup paranoia, dark pact, drain mana, detect invis (seriously, buff mage's invis, and then remove teh only way to detect it?).

I can see the removal of some of those. While drain mana had its reasonable risks, it was still a kinda "annoying" way to deal with a healer. I think detect invis is okay to remove, since it only worked with majors and anyone besides aff should easily be able to place an aoe and knock them out of it. Aff just has to channel rain of fire, so it's just 1 second harder :P. However I completely agree paranoia should've been placed somewhere else.

The biggest change is what nobody has mentioned - Locks were the anti-caster caster

Definately that too. I don't think it needs much mentioning though, I can still rock mages and boomkin fairly hard.

We were tanky, because other dps classes/specs didn't have self healing.

Yeah but our self healing was nerfed to the ground. Also, I do still think we were tankier. I def remember soul link being much better than it currently is.
Edited by Demonwizard on 2/16/2013 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
There's even a Chubwubwub song...Ftr...my chi/jack cross is named Squiggle-pig, complete with song.

ahem.

Do you remember fear kiting as a lock? I do. And that was the difference - other classes kite(d) by staying out of reach of the attacker, Locks kited by making, hopefully, the attacker move away. Shadowflame was the start of our mobility being used in tanking.

Maybe it's the mindset of the player - Things like KJC and UR/UW feel, to me, like my lock is using brute force of will to resist the enemy, and keep coming at them.

To me, it all feel more like other classes have appropriated some of our lockness, rather than us losing it, and that's why we feel less distinct as a class.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]