RP and You: What do you want to see more of?

90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm (more than a tad) bored, and this question keeps popping into my head. So I figured what the hell-I'll ask the WRA forums. Because why not?

So, I ask: What kind of RP do you not see enough of? More specifically, are there any types of groups/guilds that you would want to see/be a part of? If so, why?

On the opposite end, what do you think there is TOO MUCH of?

Keep it civil, ya'll.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I want to see more dwarven mortar teams.

That is all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I want to see more dwarven mortar teams.

That is all.

Mortaaaaar combaaaaaat
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Dwarves.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Gnomes. Male ones. Male Gnomes with Big Bushy Beards!
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
Dwarves, definitely!
Reply Quote
I want to see the Gnomish/Goblin version of the Mythbusters.

And then I wanna see less people with a clique mentality.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
02/15/2013 11:25 PMPosted by Zipsy

That would be an epic thing to watch.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I am the anti-clique! I will pelt pumpkin seeds at random!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I actually don't care much for group RP.

I suppose there's the token "epic" feeling that people see in them: the idea of being a part of something big and grandiose affecting the world around you. Still, I think my feeling of immersion comes from investment and I invest in individuals.

That said, the individuals I'd like to see more of are orcs and draenei.
Reply Quote
Chubby toons are always good <3
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Reply Quote
I don't come around any more, but if you'd ask me that before, i'd've said less belligerent, quick to feel slighted/quick to insult RP, more friendly RP.

"But friendly is boooo-ring."

Really? What do you do when you're with your friends? Are you constantly taking exception to anything they say, or are you more friendly, having a good time? Don't tell me friendly is boring, else you wouldn't do it with your friends.

"But i have no friends!"

Nice try. Balderdash.

This unnaturally bellicose attitude is one thing that kept me shy from RP out of the blue.

"Ok, but conflict is what drives a good story forward."

I'll have you realize that the conflict that drives a story forward - in a good story, here - is more often than not a "decision" type of conflict, and less often a fight (fisticuffs or other type of fight) pitting people against each other. Especially not a stupid fight over nothing important at all. That's just cheesy.

"My character is all grumpy and fighty, though, and gets into fights all the time."

Your character would also be in jail all the time. Or a cripple from getting broken legs from people getting sick and tired, and ganging up on your character, and putting your character in their place.

"Quit telling people how to RP."

Hey, the question was asked what i would like more of, i answered, and i addressed the line of objections most often encountered. No one has to follow any of what i put up. But that is what i would have liked before i stopped playing.

*Hesitates to press "SUBMIT"*
It's not like me to post stuff like this...
Bah. Too bad.

*Presses the submit button*
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
02/16/2013 12:24 AMPosted by Tikky
Really? What do you do when you're with your friends? Are you constantly taking exception to anything they say, or are you more friendly, having a good time? Don't tell me friendly is boring, else you wouldn't do it with your friends.

...I think I have a very different set of friends than most people. *cough* Most of our time is spent insulting each other and seeing who can outwit the other with ruder commentary. We're so got-last that sometimes we log out on each other to prevent the other getting the last word. Almost nothing is off-limits, and I rarely add people to Battletags because we can be so genuinely offensive that I've had people ragequit who aren't like us. >.> And I wouldn't change a moment of it.

ANYHOW.

02/15/2013 07:30 PMPosted by Zelenas
What kind of RP do you not see enough of? More specifically, are there any types of groups/guilds that you would want to see/be a part of? If so, why?

Intrigue. I get so weary of stories that last less than a month. I've had some story arcs last six months, and I'm still involved in one on Ziichi that's been ongoing for two years. I plan certain aspects of characters to not be available even on an OOC level for others to be aware of on a yearly scale, not a daily or weekly one. I wish that I could see more characters who are backstabbers and liars and be more often surprised at the wool being pulled over people's eyes.

I miss twists in stories. =( Thankfully I have a wonderful RP partner (or four) who do enjoy that sort of RP, but every time I come across a character otherwise, it's like... "OH THIS PERSON SEEMS SO AWESOME AND SHADY AND-- they just told their secrets in the first week. =( Boo."

02/15/2013 07:30 PMPosted by Zelenas
On the opposite end, what do you think there is TOO MUCH of?

Villains who cackle like bad comic book roles and heroes who must be right and will do anything to always be heroic-looking. I avoid DEMONS OUT warlocks and I'M A PARAGON OF VIRTUE toons usually for that reason. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me, and it exasperates me because it feels a little... flat?

I like my heroes to vary and my villains to vary enough that it's about perspective rather than right and wrong or good and evil.

The majority of my toons, even, really don't get along/dislike each other/spew vitriol when they come in contact in stories. And they're all right to me, and all a little wrong, because they're people rather than roles to fulfill an archetype in a story.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I'll tell you this much: I'm not sure what charm school all these villainous characters go to, but they ought to get their money back.

I've noted, though, that the snarling, slavering, barely-controlled-rage villain is just as numerous (and far more annoying). These are the types that hang around in scary-looking armor, usually under the influences of a growth potion, constantly emoting aggressive or threatening actions in the hopes that someone will acknowledge them long enough to give them an excuse to attack.

And, of course, once they attack, you're not supposed to fight back and/or remove them, you're supposed to marvel at their strength and wonder what tragic backstory is behind such fiery passions.

Goodness.

I would say that, if you are a villain and you're aware of that fact, you've probably created a pretty pristine disguise to operate in Stormwind. Someone sociable, friendly and outgoing, with just a few frayed edges--a twitch of the eyelid when someone mentions the Light, a smile that's just a bit too big when the topic of that murder down the street comes up--to give away their disposition would be ideal.

Or, even better, if you're a villain, you're probably convinced that what you're doing is right, so why bother getting all cackley or snarly?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Enekie's managed to hit the nail on the head again re: villain-y types.

I'm honestly not sure what I'd like to see more of, as I'm generally shy enough that I stick to RPing with people that I know and am not all that great at approaching people anyway.

I like smaller RP-type stuff: one-on-one, groups under ten people, as too many folks means things get lost in the shuffle (sometimes it's a blessing to be on Skype with Bomzik when I'm RPing with him, especially at tonight's Club Trix, holy crap, haha). So, I guess, just more folks emoting or interacting with things when they're wandering the world.

(As an aside, if I'm noticed out int he world and making cracks at whatever I'm doing, people are more than welcome to join in or remark back, of course)

Stuff! Things!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I want to see more RP based on what's actually happening with the war. I've really only seen my guild rp anything related to the Horde vs Alliance conflict on our side ICly but I know there are others, I just don't know who. I want moar take military action rp.

I would like to see less high school drama rp. Everyone and their mother has to let it be known they have some lover and are prego. I had to deal with that kind of stuff for four years already, I would rather not have to see it everywhere I go on WoW too.

All in all I want more..exciting rp that gives me chills like I know can happen on WrA and less...babymamadrama.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
I want to see more RP based on what's actually happening with the war. I've really only seen my guild rp anything related to the Horde vs Alliance conflict on our side ICly but I know there are others, I just don't know who. I want moar take military action rp.

I would like to see less high school drama rp. Everyone and their mother has to let it be known they have some lover and are prego. I had to deal with that kind of stuff for four years already, I would rather not have to see it everywhere I go on WoW too.

All in all I want more..exciting rp that gives me chills like I know can happen on WrA and less...babymamadrama.

This, one thousand times this.

I'm all for romantic roleplay, but I would much rather it be shrouded in the adventure of the game. Versus.....

Finding a little white picket fenced home just outside of x-city and living the rest of our lives there without any danger. As well as raising children in this wartorn time, to grow to fight the scourge/burning legion/Deathwing/Mogu...yadda yadda.

I want to be an 'ADVENTURER..........not Betty flippin' Crocker'.
Edited by Whim on 2/16/2013 5:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
"Ok, but conflict is what drives a good story forward."

I'll have you realize that the conflict that drives a story forward - in a good story, here - is more often than not a "decision" type of conflict, and less often a fight (fisticuffs or other type of fight) pitting people against each other. Especially not a stupid fight over nothing important at all. That's just cheesy.

I'd like to see more good conflict-driven RP because of ^

I've unfortunately been part of bad RP where the other person insisted it was "drama" - which was nothing but an IC cover for poor OOC behavior. The drama revolved the player's inability to communicate because they were too busy trying to manipulate the story to suit their own purposes. It resulted in miserable RP and harebrained schemes that I eventually ignored because the other characters that were involved - or supposed to be involved - were ignored, too ("I assumed your character would do [completely uncharacteristic behavior]" ... wat)

The kind of good conflict-driven RP I like is where it appears dramatic on the outside, but outsiders aren't privy to the insanely funny discussion where we all communicate our ideas, agree on actions, and then proceed to riff our own RP on a MST3k-worthy level.

I'd also like to see more well-played gritty, dark/horror RP.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
The kind of good conflict-driven RP I like is where it appears dramatic on the outside, but outsiders aren't privy to the insanely funny discussion where we all communicate our ideas, agree on actions, and then proceed to riff our own RP on a MST3k-worthy level.

Hahahaha yes. This is always, always awesome.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]