whats an ideal casual guild?

I would like to ask people what they think would make an ideal casual guild. By casual I mean, for people who have a lot of real-life commitments for work and/or family and therefore cannot commit to a regular raiding schedule, who are trying to level a lot of alts, who are working on professions and farming rep primarily, and who mainly see endgame content via LFR.

some thoughts off the top of my head:

- guild bank: should be oriented around crafting mats, maybe one tab per profession. greens should go in a separate tab with intention of d/e. withdrawals should be 1/tab for newbies/probation/alts, 2/tab for members' mains, unlimited for officers, except for Greens tab which should be unlimited for all. One tab for raid gear, MOP-level only (flasks, etc).

- raid schedule: LFR or 10-man groups should be organized using Doodle.com or other online tool. Slots should be organic, no raid leaders, just signups. There should be weekday morning slots for the stay-at-home folks to participate who are too busy in the evenings with family.

- alts: everyone should put their first name (IRL) and main toon's name in their alts' Info on guild roster.

- leveling: regular dungeon runs with guild groups should be a great way to boost leveling, esp through Northrend and Outland (have a guild 90 take a few level appropriate folks through).

- communication: instead of a gaudy guild website, use doodle for scheduling, and just have a simple wordpress blog for announcements, and forum for conversations. require usernames to match mains' names. Forum used mainly for crafting requests and dungeon requests.

what do you all think? what's your opinion? And what guilds out there do you consider casual/meet any of these criteria? brag about your guild here, too :)
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
I would limit the newbie/probation/alt rank to 0 withdrawals from the bank. Even if people are well-intentioned they could still get hacked and wreak havoc on your guild. Or people you think are totally cool will raid the gbank on their main and all of their guilded alts (and their girlfriend's guilded characters) because of a minor spat in gchat (this happened in Gnomeland Security during Cata... and Wrath).

Raiding without a designated raid leader seems like an exercise in futility to me. You could be loose about loot rules and invites and such, but there should be one person organizing the group and explaining/guiding people through each encounter. Having no clear leadership tends to be a disaster in my experience -- what happens is either nobody speaks on vent/mumble and you have a raid full of mimes, or everyone is talking all at once. imo, designate a leader but be casual about everything else.

Side note: why not use the in-game calendar to schedule events? Is it not as good as the third party options? I've never tried other methods.

Being on a first-name basis with guildmates seems weird to me, too.

Leveling together in dungeons = good. Having a 90 rush everyone = bad. This is counterproductive. You'll receive less exp and hit dungeon lockouts. If you have a 90 that's gung-ho about helping people and running dungeons then sure, take him up on the offer. But if you're looking to level quickly and efficiently, not so much.

Agreed on the website thing. You can use a web forum to facilitate all the goings-on of your guild, from scheduling to announcements to random chat. Of course, in 8 years of playing this game (most of that time in a casual environment), I've never seen more than a handful of guildies actually sign in to a forum. In a casual guild, asking people to use an outside resource to manage the game is asking a lot. Or so it seems.
Edited by Merrz on 2/18/2013 12:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
02/17/2013 06:35 AMPosted by Rranma
raid schedule: LFR or 10-man groups should be organized using Doodle.com or other online tool. Slots should be organic, no raid leaders, just signups. There should be weekday morning slots for the stay-at-home folks to participate who are too busy in the evenings with family.

I agree with Mer on this in the fact that you NEED someone that can lead a raid. You don't just walk in expecting it to be easy (even 10 man has it's up's and down's difficulty wise). Believe it or not, 10 man isn't "easy mode" as people around the forums and MMO-Champ like to claim.

Also, as Mer said, it's much easier just sticking things like that up on the in game calendar since more folks tend to look there.

alts: everyone should put their first name (IRL) and main toon's name in their alts' Info on guild roster.

This I'd be kind of meh about- people generally don't like giving out their real life names without knowing someone for a long time.
Edited by Jujubiju on 2/18/2013 4:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
alts: everyone should put their first name (IRL) and main toon's name in their alts' Info on guild roster.

This I'd be kind of meh about- people generally don't like giving out their real life names without knowing someone for a long time.[/quote]

Agree. Even if someone give you there real name it is taboo for you to refer to them by it in guild and vent. I like to think of it as one of the unspoken rules of wow.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/25/2013 06:32 AMPosted by Dalfina
Even if someone give you there real name it is taboo for you to refer to them by it in guild and vent. I like to think of it as one of the unspoken rules of wow.

What.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Even if someone give you there real name it is taboo for you to refer to them by it in guild and vent. I like to think of it as one of the unspoken rules of wow.

What.

People in my guild know my real name (heck, I'm surprised half the server doesn't at times), but I'm normally referred to as "Juju" or- by the long timers on the server- "Twil". And that's only because I've been in Devoted for a long time and have known Shay and Healz since about LK.

I'm only comfortable with giving out my real name if I've known the people for a long time. Heck, there's only one person on the server that has my cell number (besides my old man).
Edited by Jujubiju on 2/25/2013 10:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I understand the whole not being willing to give out your name, but I don't get how it is "taboo" to refer to someone by their name in guild if they know it.

Hey, maybe that is just because I have been in this guild so long that I'm just used to it, who knows.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
Facebook groups work well; easy to send out call outs to people when you need a fill-in for a raid... easy to discuss things with people who are not always logged in too.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
I understand the whole not being willing to give out your name, but I don't get how it is "taboo" to refer to someone by their name in guild if they know it.

Hey, maybe that is just because I have been in this guild so long that I'm just used to it, who knows.

Hehe, probably.

It's hard to explain to be honest. Sometimes, you may not want everyone in guild knowing your name.

Kind of like on Facebook- you always see those people that put there phone number out on a friends page. Not the kind of info you want everyone to have.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
02/27/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Whaang
Facebook groups work well; easy to send out call outs to people when you need a fill-in for a raid... easy to discuss things with people who are not always logged in too.

yea untill one persons ex starts harassing her and we light em up xDDD
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2013 11:16 AMPosted by Lohk
long

Been in Vicious for over 5 years and been raiding with the same 10 people since then. We all kno each others first and last names and cell #. But there is also 400 other people in our guild. i would never want my name used in guild chat or vent nor would anyone I raid with.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
02/27/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Obbi
yea untill one persons ex starts harassing her and we light em up xDDD

LOL! That idiot deserved it.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
02/27/2013 07:35 PMPosted by Dalfina
i would never want my name used in guild chat or vent nor would anyone I raid with.

Must be all women; cause men don't give two flying craps about that. Most the guys/gals in my guild are all familiar with each other's RL First names.

Since the last few weeks of WOTLK until now I can only remember one person who has ever asked me never to use her RL name in open chat.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

I know most of the people in my guild by RL first name either through their applications to the guild, Facebook, or Real-ID, but it is completely optional if they want to use it in-game. I've never had anyone ask me to remove their real name from our guild notes, forums or Facebook, but I would completely understand if they wanted that privacy.

02/18/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Merrz
I would limit the newbie/probation/alt rank to 0 withdrawals from the bank. Even if people are well-intentioned they could still get hacked and wreak havoc on your guild. Or people you think are totally cool will raid the gbank on their main and all of their guilded alts (and their girlfriend's guilded characters) because of a minor spat in gchat (this happened in Gnomeland Security during Cata... and Wrath).

Good advice! For The Texas Heat, I created an Inactive rank (for characters inactive 30 days or more), and a "Detention" rank (for those people who misbehave). Both of these ranks have zero bank privileges. The Inactive rank was designed solely to protect our guild bank in case one of our inactive members were to be hacked. I've never had to place anyone in Detention *knock on wood...lol* but it's there just in case someone becomes disgruntled and decides to rob the bank. Our "trainee" rank only allows people to withdraw 1 item a day from the GB (raid/dungeon mats excluded). You must be a trainee for at least 2 weeks active in-game. Most GB ninjas probably won't want to wait that long to steal from a bank, especially one that is restricted. That is also plenty of time to learn about them and their true motives for being in your guild. There is a "Free-For-All" tab for lower-level potions, consumables, bags, and other fun stuff like fireworks, pets, etc. We also have a Deposit Only tab, with the rest of the tabs being Withdrawl only. This helps to keep things organized and not have people just throwing stuff where they want.

02/18/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Merrz
Agreed on the website thing. You can use a web forum to facilitate all the goings-on of your guild, from scheduling to announcements to random chat. Of course, in 8 years of playing this game (most of that time in a casual environment), I've never seen more than a handful of guildies actually sign in to a forum. In a casual guild, asking people to use an outside resource to manage the game is asking a lot. Or so it seems.

Our guild has a website, but getting people to actually use it hasn't been so easy. I'm considering just dropping our current site and going to a forum-only site. We also have a Facebook page, and Twitter. Overkill for a casual guild? Maybe... but all are good resources for people that will take the time to use them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I would say join an existing casual guild... our server already does not have the masses of people might as well join forces.. lol.... I am in uncommon valor... we have raids scheduled and if people can come great if not no worries.... we help each other level and get gear... We just have fun....

Our bank is open to everyone... we dont allow access for everyone but if there is something you see and you are newer just ask and we will get...

GL to you if you still want to make your own guild.... =)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]