Bagamut's Resolution for "Ganking"

90 Troll Warrior
02/18/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Nalinne
Your suggestion doesn't cover graveyard camping though...

Yea I thought of that shortly after which is why I added the "Nearest faction hub" Perhaps nearest faction specific flight path.

Again, this does not "force" the character to rez with no rez sickness or durability loss. It becomes an option, leaving those who want to head back and engage the ability to do so. It's a choice for the player who is constantly a victim of pvp and it will only show up if the player has sustained a loss of time due to said pvp activities.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Many of you know that I support Ganking. I support anything PvP and I argue quite a bit on behalf of the PvP community.

After much thought on the issue, I believe I have finally come to a solution for PvP "Ganking" and "Corpse camping" as people "clearly" believe it to be an issue.

Just like when you die, you obtain a lengthier resurrection timer. If a character is ganked more than x amount of times within x amount of minutes. "Let's say 5 in 10 minutes (That's dead every 2 minutes), then they are able to resurrect at the Spirit Healer without taking Durability Loss or the Resurrection Sickness. This allows them to leave the area and venture elsewhere while avoiding their attackers.

This solution is for those who are getting killed continuously by the opposite faction.

Here are some better resolutions:

1) roll on a pve server
2) join a guild that will step in and protect you
3) deal with it
4) log into a 90 and go get revenge (not always possible)
5) get better
Reply Quote
that revenge option, always handy when doing daily's. always someone to go after.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
1) roll on a pve server
2) join a guild that will step in and protect you
3) deal with it
4) log into a 90 and go get revenge (not always possible)
5) get better

As an Elitist, this is the most common response. I too had this response for the longest time. But then realized that quite a few people become victim to this, even those of us who pvp quite actively. And noone enjoys wasted time.

Roll on a PvE server. A lot of people won't because they have too much time invested into the characters on the pvp server and don't have the means to transfer them.

Join a guild that will step in and protect you. This may not be viable as the conditions are based upon guilds recruiting and the player looking to join a guild.

Deal with it. The easiest of the list to accept.

Get Better - No matter how good you are, if there are 5 Blood DK's camping you and you're a priest, doesn't matter if you're the best pvp priest in wow, you're not going to survive that.

Again, this idea is to assist those who are constantly getting killed and have lost all progression due to the pvp activity in that location.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
"Many of you know that I support Ganking. I support anything PvP and I argue quite a bit on behalf of the PvP community."

- Why would we know this? That is quite some arrogance that you assume anyone has actually heard of you.

"... as people "clearly" believe it to be an issue."

-- really? I spend every day on these forums bored at work, and it really isn't an issue as far as I can tell. You must be reading different forums than me.

"...This allows them to leave the area and venture elsewhere while avoiding their attackers"

-- pretty much what anyone with half a brain does now with the current system. Again, this really is a non-issue. I have been playing since beta on pvp servers...has anyone attempted to camp me? of course they have...but it doesn't happen often, and it is always easy to escape. Every class in the game has avoidance skills. lrn2play.

"This solution is for those who are getting killed continuously by the opposite faction."

-- Once again, a total non-issue...if you don't want to get ganked, choose a pve server.
Edited by Divasatanica on 2/18/2013 12:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
"Many of you know that I support Ganking. I support anything PvP and I argue quite a bit on behalf of the PvP community."

- Why would we know this? That is quite some arrogance that you assume anyone has actually heard of you.

"... as people "clearly" believe it to be an issue."

-- really? I spend every day on these forums bored at work, and it really isn't an issue as far as I can tell. You must be reading different forums than me.

"...This allows them to leave the area and venture elsewhere while avoiding their attackers"

-- pretty much what anyone with half a brain does now with the current system. Again, this really is a non-issue. I have been playing since beta on pvp servers...has anyone attempted to camp me? of course they have...but it doesn't happen often, and it is always easy to escape. Every class in the game has avoidance skills. lrn2play.

"This solution is for those who are getting killed continuously by the opposite faction."

-- Once again, a total non-issue...if you don't want to get ganked, choose a pve server.

100% hostile and argumentative - Not worth a reply at all. Thank you for your constructive contribution to the conversation tho.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
02/18/2013 10:17 AMPosted by Bagamut
If they are unable to do anything based on preventative mechanics such as Level difference or number difference, a way to assist them in getting out should be given.

How about a free port while still dead, to another spirit healer of the player's choice , and arrive alive and no rez sickness
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
02/18/2013 12:18 PMPosted by Nebliina
How about a free port while still dead, to another spirit healer of the player's choice , and arrive alive and no rez sickness

That could potentially be abused tho. Wouldn't want it to be used as a fast travel sort of thing.

I think that if the character had the choice to rez at the nearest faction flight path, it would benefit them greatly without creating a way to abuse it. This also puts the character within range of guards.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Knowing that after a certain number of deaths the player will be auto-rezzed at the spirit healer, the ganker quickly moves to the spirit healer to continue camping the player...

Better solution: make friends and call on them for backup when getting ganked. While they're keeping the ganker busy, you're free to keep questing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Knowing that after a certain number of deaths the player will be auto-rezzed at the spirit healer, the ganker quickly moves to the spirit healer to continue camping the player...

Better solution: make friends and call on them for backup when getting ganked. While they're keeping the ganker busy, you're free to keep questing.

Amended to nearest faction Flightmaster (Not neutral flightmaster) instead of spirit healer.

As for the better solution, I disagree. You are relying on whether or not the player is willing to make friends and if they are able to make friends. Both of these are based on an assumption and an individualized preference. That shouldn't be taken into account.

I, personally, have no friends on my realm nor do I have a guild of people I can rely on. Should I be forced to play the way "you" play just to enjoy a pvp server? I enjoy pvp. I enjoy solo pvp. I've been ganked. I've ganked. I couldn't see myself enjoying a PvE server. But I don't have the time nor commitment to join a guild nor commit to friends.
Reply Quote
I got an idea.

How about we add a 5 minute res timer when you get killed by a person in the world.

That way people won't corpse camp you, because they have better things to do than wait around for 5 minutes.

So now you are further punishing the person that got ganked by forcing them to wait for 5 minutes. Even if they are not being camped by the person who ganked them? Yeah thats a perfect solution.....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Are we defining ganking here as simply losing to another player in pvp?

... because the 90 kills a level 1 case is obvious, but there's also the two level 90's kill one level 90 - and the level 79 killing a level 78 case.

I don't see how either of those is considered 'ganking'. I mean that is a really big stretch of the word. Usually ganking involved killing someone 5+ levels lower where, no matter how skilled the player would have almost no chance.

...you obtain a lengthier resurrection timer. If a character is ganked more than x amount of times within x amount of minutes. "Let's say 5 in 10 minutes (That's dead every 2 minutes), then they are able to resurrect at the Spirit Healer without taking Durability Loss or the Resurrection Sickness. This allows them to leave the area and venture elsewhere while avoiding their attackers.

This solution is for those who are getting killed continuously by the opposite faction.

I can back this.
Edited by Kalycto on 2/18/2013 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
02/18/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Kalycto
I don't see how either of those is considered 'ganking'. I mean that is a really big stretch of the word. Usually ganking involved killing someone 5+ levels lower where, no matter how skilled the player would have almost no chance.

My deffinition of ganking is any pvp activity in which the victim has absolutely no chance of winning the fight.

Uneven numbers in battle could constitute as ganking if there are multiple 90's ganging up on 1 lvl 90.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest

I think there are some varying definitions of the word, to me it means "attacking someone knowing you have the advantage". That can happen due to numbers, level, class balance, gearing, or situation.

i.e.
Two level 90's can gank one level 90.
A level 90 can gank another level 90 by attacking them while they have a pack of npcs.
A level 90 in full malev can gank another level 90 in greens.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
i.e.
A level 90 can gank another level 90 by attacking them while they have a pack of npcs.

This is my definition as well. Any engagement where the victor is already pre-determined based on factors is a "gank".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My deffinition of ganking is any pvp activity in which the victim has absolutely no chance of winning the fight.

Uneven numbers in battle could constitute as ganking if there are multiple 90's ganging up on 1 lvl 90.

I dunno, I've owned 3 people on my frost mage (same level) before. Even now I can face off against 2 fairly well despite being semi-well geared. But I get what you are saying.

I think there are some varying definitions of the word, to me it means "attacking someone knowing you have the advantage". That can happen due to numbers, level, class balance, gearing, or situation.

i.e.

I guess but I've always felt it was more appropriate to reserve it for level differences, although a huge gear gap can make sense, although it's still easier to escape.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
02/18/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Bagamut
As an Elitist, this is the most common response

An elitist? hah, now thats funny. I'm not on, nor have I ever been on a pvp server. Because I knew when i rolled my toon 6 years back it was simply not an environment I wanted to open myself up to.

Nothing elitist about me. Its actually called 'taking time to assess a situation and make an informed decision.' I think that much better describes why I'm not on a pvp server. I'd get wrecked daily and wouldn't enjoy it.

But I tend to look at the law of unintended consequences. You want to stop ganking and proposed an idea. Realistically for every 1 reason why you think this is a great idea that you've so thoroughly thought thru, there are 3 ideas why this would backfire in your face that you never considered.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
02/18/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Kalycto
I guess but I've always felt it was more appropriate to reserve it for level differences, although a huge gear gap can make sense, although it's still easier to escape.

Well what I do there is apply the "two-word rule", which is to make a term more specific.

i.e. I'd just call that "lowbie ganking"
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
This is a reasonable solution to help victims of ganking and I support you, Bagamut. People who say deal with it are what's wrong with this game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I would be willing to gamble that the largest number of people that camp lowbies are those that are unable to compete in a pvp match with someone their level. For a fully geared 90 to gank a lowbie is an immense waste of their time and takes NO skill whatsoever. I do not know anyone that is pvp geared that would go out of their way to stop and kill a lower level toon let alone camp them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]