Medivh

90 Night Elf Druid
02/19/2013 07:15 PMPosted by Veloran
The whole, "Azeroth doesn't need guardians anymore" thing kind of falls apart when you take into account the threats facing the planet, and then look at our characters.

The role of the guardian was to secretly hunt down demons appearing on Azeroth as a result of the usage of magic by humans (of Dalaran, specifically), who were oblivious to both the demonic threat to Azeroth and the effects of using magic recklessly.

After the events of WC3:RoC, everybody knew about the demons, so it was no longer secret. Also, the accomplishment of the mortal races in defeating the legion proved that they were capable of handling it. For these reasons, the guardian was no longer needed.

The Burning Legion may still pose a threat to Azeroth, and there may be other powerful threats as well, but the mortal races can handle it; this was the resolution at the end of WC3 that Medivh was going on about.

Though that may no longer hold, or it may be tenuous, since the factions that comprised the "guardians of Azeroth" are now at war with one another. Even then, Wrathion's plan should fix that.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Merely speculation...but if Kil'Jaeden peed his pants over seeing Medivh, I'll venture a guess and say he pops up if we ever face Sargeras
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I wouldn't mind being a super mage, although with alter time every 1.5 min I feel like a super mage in BGs.

*Rhonin's hair turns Yellow*: THIS IS TO GO....EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!!

Sorry I had to.

Don't even joke about that kind of stuff, you are going to give someone a heart attack.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If you guys want to learn more about Medivh, you can read the book The Last Guardian. I always had head about Medivh before but never real knew the story line until I read that book. It's really interesting and I highly recomend, if you want to learn more about Medivh, to read it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

*Rhonin's hair turns Yellow*: THIS IS TO GO....EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!!

Sorry I had to.

Don't even joke about that kind of stuff, you are going to give someone a heart attack.

BUT BUT MOM!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/19/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Aeliren
He's not coming back. He said it himself, the world won't need Guardians anymore. It will take care of itself.

Lol, I think WoW kinda disproves that. There are literally MILLIONS of Guardians on Azeroth....
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/24/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Cernak
He's not coming back. He said it himself, the world won't need Guardians anymore. It will take care of itself.

Lol, I think WoW kinda disproves that. There are literally MILLIONS of Guardians on Azeroth....

This is a different kind of Guardian.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/20/2013 07:07 AMPosted by Treegrower
The whole, "Azeroth doesn't need guardians anymore" thing kind of falls apart when you take into account the threats facing the planet, and then look at our characters.

The role of the guardian was to secretly hunt down demons appearing on Azeroth as a result of the usage of magic by humans (of Dalaran, specifically), who were oblivious to both the demonic threat to Azeroth and the effects of using magic recklessly.

After the events of WC3:RoC, everybody knew about the demons, so it was no longer secret. Also, the accomplishment of the mortal races in defeating the legion proved that they were capable of handling it. For these reasons, the guardian was no longer needed.

The Burning Legion may still pose a threat to Azeroth, and there may be other powerful threats as well, but the mortal races can handle it; this was the resolution at the end of WC3 that Medivh was going on about.

Though that may no longer hold, or it may be tenuous, since the factions that comprised the "guardians of Azeroth" are now at war with one another. Even then, Wrathion's plan should fix that.

Read "The Last Guardian" for his full story. Also There is a comic which covers the transfer of his Guardian powers to his son, Me'dan. In it, Medivh appears before his son as a spectre, basically saying he will never return to Azeroth.

World of Warcraft disproved his "This world doesn't need Guardians anymore." statement almost ten years ago.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/24/2013 12:06 PMPosted by Aeluron

Lol, no. He said Azeroth didn't need GUARDIANS anymore. Guardians, as in plural. At the time, he was right, Azeroth was headed towards peace. He didn't say "Azeroth doesn't need the Guardians of Tirisfal anymore"
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Lol, no. He said Azeroth didn't need GUARDIANS anymore. Guardians, as in plural. At the time, he was right, Azeroth was headed towards peace. He didn't say "Azeroth doesn't need the Guardians of Tirisfal anymore"

Because that is what it means. As in the class Guardian not the actual term Guardian. That is what he means but you are confused by it I am not. I think you need to reread the lore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Because that is what it means. As in the class Guardian not the actual term Guardian. That is what he means but you are confused by it I am not. I think you need to reread the lore.

What you said makes no sense and you obviously don't know the lore so.....

Aside from that, Me'dan is the new Guardian anyway. So it shows what he knew.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

No I do know the lore, you do not. Guardians meant the Guardians of Tiristfal not the actual term Guardian. Med'an is the new guardian but it shouldn't of come to pass.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

No I do know the lore, you do not. Guardians meant the Guardians of Tiristfal not the actual term Guardian. Med'an is the new guardian but it shouldn't of come to pass.

Based on who's judgement? Medivh clearly didn't know squat, especially about himself. At the moment of his death, the power of the Guardian was transferred to Me'dan. Medivh only came back because his mother brought him back, using her magic and giving it to him, as detailed in "Cycle of Hatred" He no longer possessed the Guardian power. He must have believed the power died with him. And as I said before, the planet was heading towards peace, he probably THOUGHT the planet didn't need a guardians anymore. And he obviously didn't discuss this with the Dragon Aspects, the planets ACTUAL Guardians.

The idea that Azeroth doesn't need a Guardian is silly. The Guardians main function is to halt demon incursions and there are still demons, so....
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
02/24/2013 12:49 PMPosted by Cernak
The idea that Azeroth doesn't need a Guardian is silly. The Guardians main function is to halt demon incursions and there are still demons, so....

The role of the Guardians of Tirisfal is to SECRETLY hunt down demons.

Armies can do that, hell with faction warlocks, they can bind demons that are on a rampage.

It seems the Role of Guardian has be reborn to fight the Old Gods, however.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
The Echo of Medivh in Karazhan told Med'an that Medivh is gone. There's nothing left of him after WC3.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/24/2013 01:43 PMPosted by Ximothy

Armies can do that, hell with faction warlocks, they can bind demons that are on a rampage.

My own thoughts on this are that the Old Gods are the real force behind the Burning Legion. IN Ulduar we experienced what even a dead Old God could do to not only the Titans, but everything else. It's not a stretch to assume the Old Gods are behind Sargeras and the Burning Shadow. I assume Med'an, and the Titans will be featured more prominently in a future expansion. I look forward to seeing the young Guardian in action.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
02/24/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Cernak

My own thoughts on this are that the Old Gods are the real force behind the Burning Legion. IN Ulduar we experienced what even a dead Old God could do to not only the Titans, but everything else. It's not a stretch to assume the Old Gods are behind Sargeras and the Burning Shadow. I assume Med'an, and the Titans will be featured more prominently in a future expansion. I look forward to seeing the young Guardian in action.

Except the Old Gods are a force on their own. The Legion is seperate from the Old Gods.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/24/2013 01:57 PMPosted by Dreignei
The Echo of Medivh in Karazhan told Med'an that Medivh is gone. There's nothing left of him after WC3.

Gone does not necessarily mean dead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Except the Old Gods are a force on their own. The Legion is seperate from the Old Gods.

Where did you get this assumption? After defeating the Old Gods and making the Universe safe for habitation. The Titans noticed a slow corruption growing and building among the races. They assigned their greatest warrior, Sargeras to fight it and learn its source while they continued to seed the Universe with life. Over time, Sargeras was corrupted by what the Titans referred to as "The Burning Shadow" They then assigned their second greatest warrior to fight him, Aggramar. Blizzard has never explained the source of the Burning Shadow and it could very well be related to the death and binding of the Old Gods at the hands of the Titans.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Where did you get this assumption? After defeating the Old Gods and making the Universe safe for habitation. The Titans noticed a slow corruption growing and building among the races. They assigned their greatest warrior, Sargeras to fight it and learn its source while they continued to seed the Universe with life. Over time, Sargeras was corrupted by what the Titans referred to as "The Burning Shadow" They then assigned their second greatest warrior to fight him, Aggramar. Blizzard has never explained the source of the Burning Shadow and it could very well be related to the death and binding of the Old Gods at the hands of the Titans.

It's not an assumption it's been pretty much stated the Burning Legion is it's own force unrelated to the Old Gods. You are basically making a lot of assumptions here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]