Disc healing on 10m Empress - Help please!

90 Dwarf Priest
Hello, wise Disc priests out there... please help me with any pointers/tips. D: for normal 10man Empress in HoF. I am normally Holy and I love Holy, but my GM has ever so gently suggested trying out Disc for this particular encounter.

I have only downed Empress once as Holy in a pug and we had a disc priest & resto shaman.

Our current healer comp: Holy Paladin & a Resto Druid (who is normally a boomkin)

I have literally only played Disc one day this expansion in the LFR & then some in Wrath.

Disc feels so foreign in its preventive healing style versus healing reactively when in Holy Spec. I don't have a problem with going Disc, I've just believed it meshed well with a Holy Paladin who I am normally 2 healing with (and will be coming 5.2+)

I assume Prayer of Mending on CD, trying to keep 3 stacks of Grace on the tanks., Prayer of Healing, Cascade... and Spirit Shell...

So, how do I actually use this spell effectively? :S I'm sorry I'm a noob but could someone explain how I would set up SS before say Sonic Charge from the Dissonance Field?

Is there a good mod to track Rapture? I'm assuming I can set up something in Weak Auras?

Gahhh. T_T
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/20/2013 03:44 PMPosted by Caffara
I'm assuming I can set up something in Weak Auras?

Yes, weak auras can track it just fine. See here for an import string: http://talesofapriest.com/resources/weak-auras/

RE: Spirit Shell: depends how your raid is using healing cooldowns. The way the spell works is you activate it and any heal, flash heal, greater heal, or Prayer of Healing you cast will become an absorb instead of a heal, scaled by crit and mastery.

In my raid, I spirit shell the first explosion and part of the 2nd, heal up the rest, and use Healing Tide Totem and Boomkin Tranq for the second set. I'll usually start spirit shelling at around 10-13% hp left on the field. Hit AA, IF and PoH group 1, then two PoH casts on group 2 and both should be nearly capped before the explosion hits.

Spirit Shell can (and probably should) be used for the add phase to keep a tank up. A greater heal cast will cap (or nearly cap) the absorb on one tank.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hello, wise Disc priests out there... please help me with any pointers/tips. D: for normal 10man Empress in HoF. I am normally Holy and I love Holy, but my GM has ever so gently suggested trying out Disc for this particular encounter.

I have only downed Empress once as Holy in a pug and we had a disc priest & resto shaman.

Our current healer comp: Holy Paladin & a Resto Druid (who is normally a boomkin)

I have literally only played Disc one day this expansion in the LFR & then some in Wrath.

Disc feels so foreign in its preventive healing style versus healing reactively when in Holy Spec. I don't have a problem with going Disc, I've just believed it meshed well with a Holy Paladin who I am normally 2 healing with (and will be coming 5.2+)

I assume Prayer of Mending on CD, trying to keep 3 stacks of Grace on the tanks., Prayer of Healing, Cascade... and Spirit Shell...

So, how do I actually use this spell effectively? :S I'm sorry I'm a noob but could someone explain how I would set up SS before say Sonic Charge from the Dissonance Field?

Is there a good mod to track Rapture? I'm assuming I can set up something in Weak Auras?

Gahhh. T_T

I wouldn't worry about the explosion from dissonance fields so much. Particularly with a Resto Druid and a Pally. That mechanic should never be what wipes a raid. Ever. Just make sure they don't blow up together. Something like 10-15second difference between them exploding and you're gold.
They do a lot of damage yes, but it's not a wiping mechanic. Because if you have them properly seperated (in timing of when they both go off) you have ample time to heal a raid up entirely without having to pop any Cds. (Theres ZERO raid damage going out at this time as long as whoever gets the debuff hops right into the field and gets out before the next one explodes)

Really this part of the fight is where healers should be doing as little as possible and saving/preserving all mana.

Edit; I Should note that we do use DPS healing cooldowns to get the raid up after explosions. 1 Vamp embrace will do the job, as will 1 ancestral. Setup a rotation for dps to use cooldowns like this upon explosions.

It's the add phase you need to worry about. In which case I'd have the Resto Druid take Tree form, focus one tank. Pally focus the other while obviously making use of beacon. And you just sit right there in the middle and laugh as you bubble your heart out.

Ps this fight is easily doable as Holy.

Priest Pally Druid is actually a very nice combo for this fight. Though Druid may have mana issues if he was a boomy. Consider Hymning for him right before every add phase and/or yourself. Add phase = healer burn.
Edited by Tonydanza on 2/20/2013 4:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It's a fun encounter!

With all the constant raidwide AOE, PoH is your goto spell. Keep stacking Evagenlism, then use AA on PoH and PoH + SS.

Keep rapture procs on the tanks.

PoM should be cast on CD.

Cascade right after one of the discs explode. Preferably timed with AA.

Have fun!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
APM
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/ingelasrapture

^^ is outdated but it still works for rapture.

Its a blue bar counting down on your screen and makes a sound when rapture is ready. No need to set it up once installed its automatic when bubbles are damaged off. ( dont forget to load out of date addons )

PW: Shield can be nice in the last phase as well as SS. Dont forget to make good use of fear ward on your self just in case.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Nah. Don't bother with Ingelas Rapture if you have WA.

http://talesofapriest.com/resources/weak-auras/
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I do this fight as disc and I run with shaman and a pally and here is what I do.

EVERY time he summons fields, the first explosion I absorb with Shell. I wait until the field has about 15%ish life to pop shell to start spamming.

Second one shammy pops HTT. Or pally pops a cd. We have a boomie sitting on tranq just incase but normally we keep that for last phase.

Add phase comes, I take druid tank, shaman takes DK tank and Pally helps both of us. I talked to tank and told him right when he engages adds I will be hitting him with Pain sup. During this time there will be a high usage of mana, so make sure you have your cds good to go after the add phase.

Last phase, during this time you want to use Shell and anything else you can on CD. Make sure you dispel!!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I think you're making this too complicated.

Phase 1. Atonement heal empress. Rotate CDs with other healers for dissonance explosions. As disc, you can probably get more with spirit shell than other healers can.

Phase 2. Pain Sup and shield tanks when they're picking up adds. Heal tanks and spirit shell when you can.

Phase 3. PoH spam like crazy. Use spirit shell on CD. Use barrier. Call out dispels with other healers.

Compared to some other fights (Garalon..) healing empress is easymode.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've only killed this boss once. Because it was our first kill, I found it better to use Spirit Shell for the 2nd explosion, because sometimes, the 2 explosions were just too close to each other.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Gahhh. T_T

Hi! :)

Here's some tips:

1) Macro Spirit Shell to Power Infusion, Inner Focus, and Archangel. All four spells work together, and by macro'ing them together, you ensure that you will get the full benefit of these spells for your Spirit Shell rotation. This is the macro I use:

#showtooltip Spirit Shell
/cast Power Infusion
/cast Archangel
/cast Inner Focus
/cast Spirit Shell
/s SPIRIT SHELL SHINIES!
/raid SPIRIT SHELL SHINIES!

(My Resto Druid co-healer likes to know when he should take a vacay, so I make my macro announce when I use Spirit Shell lol)

2) Don't worry about Grace. Let me repeat this for you: don't worry about Grace on the tanks. The only time you need to worry about intensive tank healing on this fight is during the Retreat (add phase). At that point, you'll be directly healing the tanks, and Grace will magically be there! Outside of the Retreat phase and the final phase, however, all you need to be doing is a) Atonement spamming the boss, and b) Spirit Shelling the raid.

3) I don't use a Rapture timer, but I don't think we need to be that worried about it on this fight. There's very little damage going out when there isn't a Cry Terror/explosion of the Dissonence Fields, except on the tanks. So, whichever tank has aggro should have a bubble on him 100% of the time. Just recast it when Weakened Soul drops off, and you should be fine for Rapture uptime.

4) Make sure to bubble anyone standing in the Dissonace Field. It will actually absorb the damage they take for being inside.

5) How to use Spirit Shell for Dissonance Fields:
Step 1: Make sure to have Enemy Healthbars enabled so that you can see the healthbars of the Dissonance Fields.
Step 2: Make sure that everyone with Cry Terror goes into the same field until it is dead.
Step 3: Make sure that anyone with Cry Terror in the Dissonance Field comes out and is healed up just prior to the explosion (trust your cohealers to do the actual healing while you are cycling Spirit Shell.
Step 4: When the lowest Dissonance Field reaches approximately 12-14% health, start in your Spirit Shell rotation.
Step 5: Hit your Spirit Shell Macro and cast PoH on Group 1, then Group 2, then Group 1, then Group 2, and so on until Spirit Shell expires. It helps if you have hte ranged in one group and the melee in another. A Tip: Make sure that you are tracking the actual Spirit Shell on your raid members. If one ranged is way out in Timbuktu and you aren't hitting him with your casts of Spirit Shell, Then you can cast it directly on him, or just make sure you have a bubble waiting for him when the field explodes.

I bully my raid members until they're close enough together that I can cast on someone in the middle of the pack and get everyone. Sometimes Spirit Shell will absorb all of the damage of the first one, and still have some left over for the second. Either way, if you have the spare mana, feel free to bubble anyone low or that you're concerned about for the second explosion. Alternatively, you can do what I do - let the Druid Tranq and make everything better.

6) Don't use Cascade on CD unless there is massive raid damage going out (the final phase is a good example of this, and after a Sonic Discharge is another good example). It's too expensive to use willy-nilly.

I hope that helps! :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Hello, wise Disc priests out there... please help me with any pointers/tips. D: for normal 10man Empress in HoF

Setup range in 1 group, melee in another.

P1:
Until 5.2, just cast PoH (SS ~15sec before bubble explodes).
PW:S on whoever is standing in the bubbles.

P2:
Bomb heals on a tank until the adds start to focus/run around

P3:
PoH x 1000. SS on cooldown.

The big thing Disc Brings to this encounter is bonus EH and is the only heal that works while people are in the bubbles.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Spirit shell in 10 man is stupid easy to use. 15 seconds before expected raid damage (ie fields going off) hit SS, then poh group 1 poh group 2 poh group 1 poh group 2 and enjoy the 150k+ absorb.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/22/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Felshifter
Spirit shell in 10 man is stupid easy to use. 15 seconds before expected raid damage (ie fields going off) hit SS, then poh group 1 poh group 2 poh group 1 poh group 2 and enjoy the 150k+ absorb.

It actually caps in 10 man.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/22/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Felshifter
150k+ absorb.

250k*
Reply Quote
1 Pandaren Shaman
I'm bored so I'll throw out what I've found to work best...

P1

1. Get AA up for every field explosion via HF on CD and offensive penance when you need faster evangelism generation.

2. Keep PoM out and jumping, which probably means using it close to on CD.

3. PW:S the tank actively tanking the boss, as well as cry of terror targets (the p1 debuff).

4. Spam PoH between all of this, even if the raid is topped. The DA is guaranteed to be consumed, whether it's from field explosions or the random raid damage.

For field explosions use SS to shield blanket the raid. Which field explosions you do this on depends on when other raid CD's are being used. IMO it works best to SS blanket on explosion 1 and 4 in p1. But again, it depends on your raid. Feel free to pair other CD's with SS (AA, IF, PI). It goes without saying to use cascade after field explosions if damage gets past your OP shields.

You can also position barrier somewhere to mitigate an explosion where SS isn't being used Even if it only mitigates damage on 3 people it's better than nothing.

P2

Most of p2 consists of tank damage with intermittent raid damage. Keeping PW:S up on one tank, or both if mana can support it, is a good idea. You should feel free to use penance defensively when/if tanks start getting wailed on, and follow it up with GH/FH as necessary. Use pain suppression on a tank when it's called or, if the tanks don't call for it, once their CD's have been spent. Make sure you are ready to void shift if one of the tanks starts to go down.

Typically, if p1 goes according to plan, I find SS comes off CD during p2 before a trap is out. I usually pop it here and drop a GH into each tank and use the remaining SS duration to blanket everyone with SS PoH. Once a trap is out tank damage goes way down and I focus on bombing the windblades with penance/HF/smite. Use hymn of hope towards the end of p2, not the beginning.

The optimal approach to p2 depends heavily on which strategy/approach you're using, so keep that in mind.

P3

At the start of p3 fear ward yourself in case you get visions of demise. If any fields are going to explode just before or early into p3 drop barrier and tell the raid to stack in it when p3 begins. For the most part p3 is really easy and you can just keep PW:S up on the tank with the boss, spam PoH, keep PoM out and use HF on CD for evangelism. Your other CD's/abilities like SS, AA, IF, PI and cascade (when entire raid is damaged) should be used whenever they're up.

Outside of the above dispel visions in p3, make sure you get away from the raid when you have it and you're not fear warded, and don't be that guy who stands in purple stuff on the floor.

Spamming so much PoH in p1 may not be necessary on normal (you'll make the other healers look like !@#$ doing it too :)). You might not even have the mana to support it. I would run heavy mastery/spirit gearing and cascade/PI/mindbender for this encounter.

Also, since nobody mentioned it and you said something about a Holy Paladin.... stuff like BoP stops damage on cry of terror targets when they stand in dissonance fields. So it's a good idea for your Pallies to put it on these people to extend how long they sit in the fields to spread out the explosions.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I just want to note that the Dissonance Fields actually explode when their energy bar runs out, not their health bar. These bars move together when nobody is actively casting inside the Field, but tend to get unlinked for reasons I honestly still do not understand despite watching their behaviour for weeks.

The DBM warning goes off of health bars since it can't detect the energy bar. It's just worth double-checking the progress of the energy bar vs the health bar before popping Spirit Shell. Many a time I've forgotten to do this and blown my Healing Tide Totem when the health is low, but the energy was high, and mostly wasted it. :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I just want to note that the Dissonance Fields actually explode when their energy bar runs out, not their health bar. These bars move together when nobody is actively casting inside the Field, but tend to get unlinked for reasons I honestly still do not understand despite watching their behaviour for weeks.

The DBM warning goes off of health bars since it can't detect the energy bar. It's just worth double-checking the progress of the energy bar vs the health bar before popping Spirit Shell. Many a time I've forgotten to do this and blown my Healing Tide Totem when the health is low, but the energy was high, and mostly wasted it. :P

The thing is, outside of directly targeting the dissonance fields, there's no way to see their energy bar at all. As Disc, you should have the boss targeted nearly 100% of the time. I've personally never seen the energy bar come unlinked from the health bar, and for me the health bar is just fine to time your Spirit Shell by. There's a lot more wiggle room for Spirit Shell than there is for HTT.
Edited by Tiriél on 2/23/2013 2:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I usually just leave the boss focused, use my smite/HF/penance/mindbender over the boss focus frame, and target the dissonance field to see its energy bar. It's strange but they get unlinked almost every time I do the fight. Usually the health runs out and then it's like, I dunno, 6-10 more seconds before the energy bar does. I've definitely messed up spirit shell because of it. But I've only done it on LFR on my disc priest so I'll take your word for it :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The thing is, outside of directly targeting the dissonance fields, there's no way to see their energy bar at all. As Disc, you should have the boss targeted nearly 100% of the time. I've personally never seen the energy bar come unlinked from the health bar, and for me the health bar is just fine to time your Spirit Shell by. There's a lot more wiggle room for Spirit Shell than there is for HTT.

Well, depending on how aggressively the person inside the field casts, there can be quite a gap between the health and energy of the fields. The energy bar is certainly something you'd want to watch if you want to time your SS perfectly. I would recommend starting SS at around 30-40 energy.

Also, a simple [@focus, harm][@focustarget, harm][@targettarget, harm][@mouseovertarget, harm] macro should work really well for offensive Penance and gives you the freedom to target anything. It'll definitely require two binds for Penance, but I find that the benefit it confers outweighs the additional keybind.
Edited by Ceddya on 2/23/2013 4:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/23/2013 04:20 AMPosted by Ceddya
Well, depending on how aggressively the person inside the field casts, there can be quite a gap between the health and energy of the fields. The energy bar is certainly something you'd want to watch if you want to time your SS perfectly. I would recommend starting SS at around 30-40 energy.

I've never noticed there are 2 bars, either. I should check it out next time.

I think spamming heals on the person in the field depletes it faster, even though the person doesn't get healed. It is probably because the field needs to work harder to absorb those heals.

In a good LFR (where nobody stands in it even they should), when 2 fields seem to go down at the same rate, I'd PWS myself and stand in one. Then that field usually goes twice as fast as the other, and I'd see all the heal absorb messages popping up in combat text.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]