Hello, wise Disc priests out there... please help me with any pointers/tips. D: for normal 10man Empress in HoF. I am normally Holy and I love Holy, but my GM has ever so gently suggested trying out Disc for this particular encounter.
I have only downed Empress once as Holy in a pug and we had a disc priest & resto shaman.
Our current healer comp: Holy Paladin & a Resto Druid (who is normally a boomkin)
I have literally only played Disc one day this expansion in the LFR & then some in Wrath.
Disc feels so foreign in its preventive healing style versus healing reactively when in Holy Spec. I don't have a problem with going Disc, I've just believed it meshed well with a Holy Paladin who I am normally 2 healing with (and will be coming 5.2+)
I assume Prayer of Mending on CD, trying to keep 3 stacks of Grace on the tanks., Prayer of Healing, Cascade... and Spirit Shell...
So, how do I actually use this spell effectively? :S I'm sorry I'm a noob but could someone explain how I would set up SS before say Sonic Charge from the Dissonance Field?
Is there a good mod to track Rapture? I'm assuming I can set up something in Weak Auras?
Here's some tips:
1) Macro Spirit Shell to Power Infusion, Inner Focus, and Archangel. All four spells work together, and by macro'ing them together, you ensure that you will get the full benefit of these spells for your Spirit Shell rotation. This is the macro I use:
#showtooltip Spirit Shell
/cast Power Infusion
/cast Inner Focus
/cast Spirit Shell
/s SPIRIT SHELL SHINIES!
/raid SPIRIT SHELL SHINIES!
(My Resto Druid co-healer likes to know when he should take a vacay, so I make my macro announce when I use Spirit Shell lol)
2) Don't worry about Grace. Let me repeat this for you: don't worry about Grace on the tanks.
The only time you need to worry about intensive tank healing on this fight is during the Retreat (add phase). At that point, you'll be directly healing the tanks, and Grace will magically be there! Outside of the Retreat phase and the final phase, however, all you need to be doing is a) Atonement spamming the boss, and b) Spirit Shelling the raid.
3) I don't use a Rapture timer, but I don't think we need to be that worried about it on this fight. There's very little damage going out when there isn't a Cry Terror/explosion of the Dissonence Fields, except on the tanks. So, whichever tank has aggro should have a bubble on him 100% of the time. Just recast it when Weakened Soul drops off, and you should be fine for Rapture uptime.
4) Make sure to bubble anyone standing in the Dissonace Field. It will actually absorb the damage they take for being inside.
5) How to use Spirit Shell for Dissonance Fields:
Step 1: Make sure to have Enemy Healthbars enabled so that you can see the healthbars of the Dissonance Fields.
Step 2: Make sure that everyone with Cry Terror goes into the same field until it is dead.
Step 3: Make sure that anyone with Cry Terror in the Dissonance Field comes out and is healed up just prior to the explosion (trust your cohealers to do the actual healing while you are cycling Spirit Shell.
Step 4: When the lowest Dissonance Field reaches approximately 12-14% health, start in your Spirit Shell rotation.
Step 5: Hit your Spirit Shell Macro and cast PoH on Group 1, then Group 2, then Group 1, then Group 2, and so on until Spirit Shell expires. It helps if you have hte ranged in one group and the melee in another. A Tip: Make sure that you are tracking the actual Spirit Shell on your raid members. If one ranged is way out in Timbuktu and you aren't hitting him with your casts of Spirit Shell, Then you can cast it directly on him, or just make sure you have a bubble waiting for him when the field explodes.
I bully my raid members until they're close enough together that I can cast on someone in the middle of the pack and get everyone. Sometimes Spirit Shell will absorb all of the damage of the first one, and still have some left over for the second. Either way, if you have the spare mana, feel free to bubble anyone low or that you're concerned about for the second explosion. Alternatively, you can do what I do - let the Druid Tranq and make everything better.
6) Don't use Cascade on CD unless there is massive raid damage going out (the final phase is a good example of this, and after a Sonic Discharge is another good example). It's too expensive to use willy-nilly.
I hope that helps! :)