Built a new pc last week and it won't boot

90 Undead Priest
I built a new pc last week, and it won't boot. Pressing the power button will cause the fans to spin up for about 2 seconds, the everything turns off, waits a couple seconds, then starts up again. This process repeats until I cut the power.

Here's my parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CvYc
And a video of what happens when I try to boot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTRvRfU4Wg

After reading around and talking to some tech-savvy friends, as well as reading reviews for my old PSU(Rosewill HIVE-650, explanation incoming), I was almost entirely sure that the PSU was the problem. RMA'd and replaced with my SeaSonic SS650-AM, and now I have the same problem.

I've almost entirely deconstructed the computer trying to ficure out what the problem is, to the point that I had nothing but the motherboard with CPU connected to the PSU; graphics card was removed, HDD and optical drive disconnected, case pins(power/reset switch, HDD LED, and power LED) disconnected. Shorted the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver, and it went about 6 or 7 seconds before restarting, in stead of just 1 to 2. Added a stick of ram, and that 6-7 dropped back to 1-2. I tried all combinations of my 2 sticks of ram in the 2 ram slots, all with the same result.

Based upon the above, I can only conclude that the problem exists with the motherboard, CPU, or ram, though I have no idea which and I don't really even know if it really is one of them. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Further possibly-pertinent information: My case does not have a built in system speaker, and I don't have one anywhere around here, so all my troubleshooting has been nothing more that shots in the dark without the beeps.

(Also copy-pasted all this from a thread I just put on Tom's Hardware and didn't want to read through and edit the whole thing so some things may not look right. Who knows.)
Edited by Yourpetrock on 2/13/2013 4:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
The motherboard might be shorting out to ground.

Remove the motherboard from the case and put it on a bread board or rubber mat. Something that is an insulator. Then install the cpu and 1 stick of ram. Then plug in the necessary harnesses from your psu. Make sure you also plug in the 4 or 8 pint ATX connector by the cpu.

If it boots then your motherboard was most likely shorting out to the case.

Also I don't know your particular mother board. But if it still doesn't work. Check if it as any beep codes or light codes on the mother board. As well some motheboard will give a 2 Digit Hexedecimal boot code. This should lead to to whether it failed at the cpu or ram during the boot up.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
5 attempts with the breadboard; 1 for each stick of ram in each of the 2 ram slots, as well as 1 with no ram at all, for !@#$s and giggles. Same problem, so we can rule out the short. So far as I can tell, there are no lights on the motherboard and it hasn't made any sounds at all. As for a hexidecimal boot code, I would imagine that would be displayed on a monitor(correct me if I'm wrong), but it never gets far enough into the boot sequence to output any display.

So are we thinking at this point that it's probably the cpu, or am I not following as well as I had hoped?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It's almost never the cpu, honestly. It's more likely to be the motherboard. You have the 20+4 and the additional 4 or 8 pin power cable connected to the board, right? Also have the 6 pin cables connected to the video card? Make sure the ram is seated completely - the clips on the slots should lock into a groove on the ends of the dimm. Then reset the CMOS jumper as well.

edit - just thought of something...any chance the cpu is in the socket backwards? Sounds kind of derpy but sometimes sh!t happens...
Edited by Selvaganesh on 2/13/2013 10:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
5 attempts with the breadboard; 1 for each stick of ram in each of the 2 ram slots, as well as 1 with no ram at all, for !@#$s and giggles. Same problem, so we can rule out the short. So far as I can tell, there are no lights on the motherboard and it hasn't made any sounds at all. As for a hexadecimal boot code, I would imagine that would be displayed on a monitor(correct me if I'm wrong), but it never gets far enough into the boot sequence to output any display.

So are we thinking at this point that it's probably the cpu, or am I not following as well as I had hoped?

No the hexidecimal boot code would be displayed right on the motherboard. As well as some motherboards display a row of led light or led lights in various positions on the motherboard to show you where the boot process got stuck.

All motherboards have some way of visually or audibly telling you how the POST (boot process) did.

I took a quick look at your motherboards manual and it appears to use the beep code system. You need to plug in the case speaker to the JFP2 connector.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It's almost never the cpu, honestly. It's more likely to be the motherboard. You have the 20+4 and the additional 4 or 8 pin power cable connected to the board, right? Also have the 6 pin cables connected to the video card? Make sure the ram is seated completely - the clips on the slots should lock into a groove on the ends of the dimm. Then reset the CMOS jumper as well.

edit - just thought of something...any chance the cpu is in the socket backwards? Sounds kind of derpy but sometimes sh!t happens...

The 20+4 and 4 pin are both plugged into the motherboard, and this problem exists even without my video card connected to the motherboard, let alone the PSU. Also, the CPU is most definitely in the slot the right way.

No the hexidecimal boot code would be displayed right on the motherboard. As well as some motherboards display a row of led light or led lights in various positions on the motherboard to show you where the boot process got stuck.

All motherboards have some way of visually or audibly telling you how the POST (boot process) did.

I took a quick look at your motherboards manual and it appears to use the beep code system. You need to plug in the case speaker to the JFP2 connector.

Unfortunately my case doesn't have a speaker that I can plug into the JFP2 connector, so I basically have to just try things and hope they work. Selvaganesh said that it's almost never the CPU, and I might have some compatible ram in another computer here that I can try, so I might be able to rule those out and bring it down to the motherboard being the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
When my buddy built his there was a bent pin on the cpu that prevented it from booting, happened in shipping since we're pretty careful handling parts in general.

Also not helpful, but my mobo has a speaker and doesn't make any noise when it posts which i thought was odd. But I would assume the motherboard as well.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
When my buddy built his there was a bent pin on the cpu that prevented it from booting, happened in shipping since we're pretty careful handling parts in general.

Also not helpful, but my mobo has a speaker and doesn't make any noise when it posts which i thought was odd. But I would assume the motherboard as well.

As far as I can tell, there aren't any bent pins on the CPU. I've done so much trying to figure out what's wrong with this thing that I've entirely deconstructed the whole computer at least 2 or 3 times now, and haven't been able to find any obvious physical damage anywhere, whether it be CPU pins or motherboard caps. Nothing looks wrong, which is making this a lot harder to fix.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage

The 20+4 and 4 pin are both plugged into the motherboard, and this problem exists even without my video card connected to the motherboard, let alone the PSU. Also, the CPU is most definitely in the slot the right way.

Unfortunately my case doesn't have a speaker that I can plug into the JFP2 connector, so I basically have to just try things and hope they work. Selvaganesh said that it's almost never the CPU, and I might have some compatible ram in another computer here that I can try, so I might be able to rule those out and bring it down to the motherboard being the problem.

I haven't built an intel computer. But if they are like amd the cpu can only go in one way into the socket. If you tried to put it a different way a pin would have to be bent.

I kind of figured you were going to mention about not having a speaker in your case. Which I think is stupid of case manufactures. Anyhow you might want to just get a cheap speaker to put in your case. It would help with any diagnoses you might have now or even in the future.

Try some other sticks of ram. Without the speaker though you are guessing and could try and rma the motherboard.

EDIT

A couple of other things I thought of. Check to make sure your cpu fan connector is connected to the cpu fan header. As well as try starting it with the reset leads from the case reset button disconnected.
Edited by Keynar on 2/14/2013 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Not all new things work. Time for a RMA.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
With the Intel cpu, the pins are in the motherboard's socket and the bottom of the cpu just has contacts, so I believe it's actually possible to put it in incorrectly. That said, look at the pins in the motherboard socket and check if any are bent.

Also, yeah, you need a case speaker to check the beep code. Otherwise, I'd say RMA the board.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
RMA'd the motherboard and my new one should be here tomorrow. Hope that was the problem its my third RMA on this build already haha
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]