Does healing get less stressful at later leve

70 Night Elf Priest
This is like my third attempt at leveling this character. She was my first vanilla character and my first (and at the time, only) 60. I remember healing many of the five mans in vanilla in shadow spec, back before the priest pass even, when g-heal was a four second cast.

Now heal/gheal is a 2.5 second cast and no one lives long enough to actually use it on them. I get that I'm not going to run out of mana not using it at this level and with this many heirlooms basically any heal at all is adequate, the point is more that everyone dies so freaking fast that the every time I stop to look at my loot or something someone is already dead. I've tanked for years and I've never felt this inadequate about my reaction time.

Is it always going to be this twitchy? because if it is I'll give shelf this character forever.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Go disc. Pom/shield/afk.
Reply Quote
95 Draenei Priest
Ive been running holy strictly in dungeons for a little while now and have not had any issues with healing even keeping a certain priority.

My advice is make sure you are in the right chakra (Serenity for single target, Sanctuary AOE)
Keep renew up on the tank
Holy word Serenity provides good single target instant heal with 25% bonus healing to target
prayer of mending on tank on cooldown

Use AOE heals as needed, I usually cast those on tank as well as everyone should be near each other most of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
If you stop to look at loot and the tank isn't using a defensive CD/active mitigation he may very well drop. You should know that as a tank if you aren't receiving any heals for a while that you will most likely drop ;)

02/14/2013 11:10 AMPosted by Avvana
Now heal/gheal is a 2.5 second cast and no one lives long enough to actually use it on them.

This sounds like an exaggeration o.O Or people are flat out in need of a Flash Heal when you are trying to fall back on GH due to its efficiency. Have you read over: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412411510 Perhaps it will help you in these situations.

I still find healing very enjoyable having played a Priest healer since WoTLK.
Edited by Ashleycakez on 2/14/2013 11:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Priest

This sounds like an exaggeration o.O Or people are flat out in need of a Flash Heal when you are trying to fall back on GH due to its efficiency.

I am exaggerating a bit, yes, but it still feels like damage is way too spiky. Incoming damage seems to be either low enough for renew/serenity to keep people up, or dead in 3 seconds and little in-between. It's like long stretches of doing nothing punctuated with the occasional frantic eight seconds where everyone dies if I don't hit everything correctly.

Maybe I'll get used to it after unlearning apparently everything I knew about healing from vanilla, but at the moment this is massively not fun.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I'm not really sure anymore what constitutes less stress.

I know that when healing I have to time my sneezes with the rate of hp drops...

I also know that the longer I'm a healer, the more "eh whatever" I get about deaths.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Well, that is how damage patterns are often presented in raids.

Either it is no damage -> huge hit -> no damage or something like light AoE -> increasing AoE -> light AoE after some effect, with an occasional lull in damage.

I see you have a Discipline spec. Do you use it in 5 mans? Perhaps mitigation based healing may be what you are more comfortable with.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
This is like my third attempt at leveling this character. She was my first vanilla character and my first (and at the time, only) 60. I remember healing many of the five mans in vanilla in shadow spec, back before the priest pass even, when g-heal was a four second cast.

Now heal/gheal is a 2.5 second cast and no one lives long enough to actually use it on them. I get that I'm not going to run out of mana not using it at this level and with this many heirlooms basically any heal at all is adequate, the point is more that everyone dies so freaking fast that the every time I stop to look at my loot or something someone is already dead. I've tanked for years and I've never felt this inadequate about my reaction time.

Is it always going to be this twitchy? because if it is I'll give shelf this character forever.

Yes. I too healed in vanilla dungeons and raids, as shadow. (w00t vanilla BGs as shadow - we melted faces in PvP) Worked fine, nobody died...often. Got to BC, tried healing a fury warrior tank - big failure. Think that's when I quit healing forever - level 63. I used to find myself at the edge of my chair, swearing and sweating (it's Hawaii, it's hot anyway) while healing. Stress level and headaches while playing has been minimal since I stopped trying to be the heals.

It's a personality thing too, on top of practice and experience and skillz. Some are natural healers, I'm a natural ninja assassin. I watch over our healers more than other DPS prolly and will off-heal to help but that's about it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
So long as the tank doesn't die, it doesn't matter.

When in Holy spec, I like to go Serenity and keep renew rolling on the tank with heal (it extends Renew). If there's a spike I cast the instant Holy Word:Serenity, followed by a Greater Heal if necessary (or Flash Heal if required).

Most of the time, it won't be very hectic or "twitchy". You only run into this if you get a bad tank or bad group.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I found healing less and less stressful at later levels because I found myself drinking more and more (which also had a negative effect on my reaction speed, but oh well).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Regarding PvE -
Keep in mind a badly geared tank (which can happen easily especially at lower levels) or even worse a badly geared tank who pulls everything is going to be a pita to heal. Once you get into cata, you'll also start finding some mechanics are one shots or almost one-shots if someone screws up. Those screw ups are not your fault. It's awesome if you can prevent them through things like Power Word: Shield; however, the deaths are not your fault.

Also, I personally think it's a lot worse when you're not used to a dungeon. Once you start doing a dungeon regularly, you'll know which mobs are going to be more difficult, and you'll also learn when you might want to precast something like a greater heal. Healing isn't twitchy in the sense that you have to react right away. Instead I think healing is mainly about anticipation. Whether it's through the default UI or addons, knowing when a dps takes aggro from a mob or seeing the boss casting X ability allows you to anticipate who will take damage. Knowing the dungeon will help you to anticipate how much damage.

Having said that, healing is not often the sort of thing where you can just stop for a couple seconds once a fight begins until you learn the dungeon and tank well enough to know when there won't be a sudden ramp up in damage. Just be glad for aoe looting now! I used to miss so many mobs because I was running to keep up with the tank once the fight ended.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Use raidframes for 5 player healing and use /cast [@mouseover] macros bound to your action bars. Mousing over saves you vital fractions of a second which if you're click healing will lead to deaths.

You'll find that healing becomes a complex game of whack a mole where you match the speed of the cast to the rate of decline in health and the amount you need to heal.

It also helps if you can get into an organized group, try looking for Levelling guilds on your realm via the guild recruitment tool or join an Openraid levelling team. A tank that knows how to avoid hits, avoid getting the group hit, use cooldowns is a real asset. Similarly, DPS that do more than Autoattack/Petattack, don't stand in fire, etc. are great too.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
The priest has the most healing spells of all healers and we have two healing specs so there's a lot to learn. It gets easier the more you heal and it becomes second nature. At that point, you don't even think about it as stressful. My favorite analogy is that healing is like juggling. There's always one ball that is out of my hands and I just have to keep them moving.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Does healing get less stressful at later levels?

No. That is why they are called "levels."

Things get fundamentally more complicated as you level up.

There is far more at stake at max level than at any other level.

Was this meant to be a serious question?
Edited by Dreamskull on 2/15/2013 9:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I know that when healing I. Have to time my sneezes with the rate of hp drops...

Oh god, when we were progressing on Garalon and we were flirting with enrage every wipe. I sneezed and let a DPS drop while a healer was kiting, we then wiped with 0.3% due to enrage. .-.
Edited by Pyrrah on 2/17/2013 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think eventually it does.

I agree that Disc is less stressful at times than Holy in 5 man.

It really depends on your group though and sometimes the particular dungeon. Some groups are just bad. My advice is look at those types of groups as a way to improve yourself :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]