What was the most useless hunter ability....

90 Orc Hunter
Duel wield.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Few things I never use.

feed pet

eagle eye

widow venom

wing clip (never PVP)

Beast lore

Just a few off the top of my head.... I'm sure there's others I've never bothered with too.
Reply Quote
What makes the current Widow Venom usless?

Sorry, new to hunters.
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Hunter
Widow Venom has its uses. I can't really think of a useless spell now, and maybe that's because if it's useless I don't use it enough to remember it. :)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I remember "jousting if a melee got too close to you. RS was on next attack so youd queue it get a nice hit or lol KB with a RS crit and wingclip all at in the same strike.
Reply Quote
56 Worgen Warrior
Aspect of the Wild was useful when ZG was current raid content. That snake boss poisoned the entire raid, and the little bit of mitigation it gave helped out the healers quite a bit over the 20? people they then had to heal.

As for most worthless.. old school tranq shot was only used on 1 boss in BWL in vanilla IIRC. And if you weren't a raiding BWL, you had no use for it at all. That's a pretty bad ability.
Edited by Fíppy on 2/15/2013 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Everyone is naming abilities that were situational useful even if very little.

Original Disengage on the other hand (especially considering Feign Death) had zero use. Still takes the cake imo.
Reply Quote
98 Troll Hunter
Everyone is naming abilities that were situational useful even if very little.

Original Disengage on the other hand (especially considering Feign Death) had zero use. Still takes the cake imo.

On top of it being a minor subtraction of threat (permanent, yet less than an auto-shot if memory serves), it was melee only (when min range was 8 yards), took a GCD, did no damage, AND, it had a cooldown, so you couldn't even spam it.

Pretty sure it wasn't a cheap (mana wise) ability either...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Most of the items people are naming made the class more difficult to play. It made you actually work for something. Sure, there were lame ones like rend and such. But things like scorpid sting or viper sting actually kinda worked way back then. Heck, building up some dodge to go along with aspect of the monkey actually worked quite well in pvp. You worked it in tandem of wing clip and other such abilities. (oh and wing clip was awesome for building up your weapon skills). Remember, this was a time when we had a dead zone. Too far to melee and too close to range. It was our only way to avoid be frozen by a caster and then fap the time away while they killed us and we could do nothing.

Now weve been dumbed down to 1 aspect (unless you glyph for beast, which worked well against other hunters who were guarding a base using track humanoids, way back then). Survival was the pvp spec, with just enough into marks and BM to make it interesting. Marks was as it implies, the ranged aspect and BM was the leveling one.

As for widows venom sucking, its a 50% healing debuff. Nice on those mobs that do heal.

And I saw someone mention tranq shot and how it was only good for 1 boss (its 2 actually. Chromagus and Magmadaar) so it was worthless if you werent raiding.... Hmmmm... Maybe thats why the only way you could get it was THROUGH raiding. But they have added bosses along the way that this skill is still useful for.

This is one reason the game is so bland and boring. People whined that things were too hard and they couldnt just mash buttons and win, so the devs simplified the game to make more money by catering to those who were afraid to strategize.
Edited by Jatarri on 2/15/2013 8:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
98 Troll Hunter
02/15/2013 08:51 AMPosted by Jatarri
Survival was the pvp spec, with just enough into marks and BM to make it interesting. Marks was as it implies, the ranged aspect and BM was the leveling one.

For the most part, your post made valid points (and I agreed with several, loved my SV/BM PVP spec, 21/0/30 - patch 1.7-1.11), but this is bad design, however you look at it.

As for dumbing it down, some cases, it was removing unnecessary complications (i.e. dead zone...the 5-8 yard one, only issue against Cata setup was our melee was basically crap, not that being forced to a different set of skills in melee was an issue...made all sorts of things quirky, especially in PVE).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I agree the dead zone had to go. Unless we specced deep enough to get scattershot, we were doomed. And our melee never scaled, because if it did, we would be way way OP.

I havent played my hunter much in the last couple months (leveled a pally and spriest for something different). I may have to dust off and do some pvp tonight. I do miss the mix and match specs though.
Edited by Jatarri on 2/15/2013 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
With the tools now I would have to say, Aspect of the Beast. Since activating this, in the situational times I want to use it, has become even more situational when I realized; I could just camo...
Edited by Farsightrx on 2/15/2013 9:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/14/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Thatfeel
Not loving wing clip means you didn't know how to play.

Reading comprehension is not your strong point.

02/14/2013 06:02 PMPosted by Whim
When they changed Deterrence they did not change Counterattack. It also stayed the same in Cataclysm when the class shifted from mana to focus. That's right it cost mana it's whole existence.

...your point is what? It used to be useful. Since release, counterattack was at one point mildly useful in niche situations, like just about every other hunter ability.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Aspect of the Wild was useful when ZG was current raid content. That snake boss poisoned the entire raid, and the little bit of mitigation it gave helped out the healers quite a bit over the 20? people they then had to heal.

As for most worthless.. old school tranq shot was only used on 1 boss in BWL in vanilla IIRC. And if you weren't a raiding BWL, you had no use for it at all. That's a pretty bad ability.

Aspect of the wild was useful up to and including Dragon Soul... the current content when it was removed.

Tranq shot in its original configuration was used in just about every raiding tier in vanilla at least once.
Reply Quote
56 Worgen Warrior
I only remember using Tranq shot on 1 boss when using back in vanilla, then we had farmed pretty much everything we needed from BWL and moved on to AQ 20/40 where I don't recall ever using it. But if other say there were more bosses, then I'll believe them, cause I honestly don't remember the raid encounters that well, from 8 years ago.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/15/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Subrosian
This is one reason the game is so bland and boring. People whined that things were too hard and they couldnt just mash buttons and win, so the devs simplified the game to make more money by catering to those who were afraid to strategize.

And yet, for some reason you didn't do H. Ragnaros 25 progression... the hardest boss in the history of the game, period... and chose not to do Heroic 25-man Tier 14... despite it being a throwback to BC both in how progression worked and the difficulty of the content?

The game is what you make of it.

I took about 2 or so years off over 2 breaks. The first time, my guild had mostly retired or moved on and the next time when I came back, pugs only wanted experienced people. I join pug groups now, even if they are faceroll. Even the LFR stuff, Ive only done a couple times due to not really being the hard core raider I once was.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
02/15/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Koneko
When they changed Deterrence they did not change Counterattack. It also stayed the same in Cataclysm when the class shifted from mana to focus. That's right it cost mana it's whole existence.

...your point is what? It used to be useful. Since release, counterattack was at one point mildly useful in niche situations, like just about every other hunter ability.
When Deterrence changed it became useless given how rarely Hunters Parried. Then after the switch from Mana to Focus it was even more useless since we had no Mana to spend on it. It was used so little it was forgotten. That is my point. It was niche at it's best and almost never used. In the end it was just used to point out that the Developers didn't really finish the class last expansion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]