Monk Tank vs DK Tank

100 Human Monk
My holy pally friend tells me dks are harder to heal because their life drops faster.

is that relatively true??

because i was actually going to make a blood dk. ??

the only facts that i can narrow down is that the dk has 25%more stam and only 10% less damage taken, and monk has 20%more stam and 25% less damage taken... but still that dk stamina is too dang high and i want it >.<

so are they squishy at all??

and my buddy is an expert holy pally, 483il+ etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Posts like this make me cry inside.

First: Your buddy is a blithering idiot.
Second: If DK tanks were horrible, you wouldn't see us in top-tier raiding guilds. We're there, ergo, we're not terrible.
Third: We do take more damage... and then we heal the damage BACK. That's why we have extra stamina, to make sure we don't flat out die from an attack.

Example: A Death Knight takes 100k damage from an attack. A Warrior would only take 83.3k damage from the same strike... however, the Death Knight will heal the 16.7k difference back, while the Warrior won't. In the end, both tanks will end up taking a total of 100k damage, they just take it differently.

Fourth: Stamina is not a synonym for "epeen." Do not treat it like such.
Fifth: If you make a tank because "they told me it was better" and put the same amount of work in to playing it that you put into picking it, you're going to suck no matter what tank you play.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You don't need the extra Stamina. You have lower health because you have Stagger and amazing avoidance and mitigation. Just as Krinu said, DKs have higher health because of the way they work.

Any person, "expert" or not (and ilvl does NOT denote someone being an expert, just that they have a lot of time and a guild that can carry them) that tells you that the more Stamina you have = the more pro of a tank you are is wrong. This is not Wrath. This is not bosses designed to squish a tank in two hits flat.

How good you are as a tank is dependent on how much effort you put into learning the class, not hopping from class to class based on hearsay.
Edited by Meixie on 2/15/2013 2:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/15/2013 12:47 AMPosted by Krinu
Posts like this make me cry inside.

It's okay, Krinu. Just /drink instead.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/15/2013 12:11 AMPosted by Poel
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
Unfortunately I'd have to agree with Krinu - your friend is not the most knowledgeable in tanks - he/she is basing their opinions on their subjective experience, which may not have been with experienced tanks of all 5 classes.

There are situations where monks have advantages over dk tanks, but the reverse at times is also true.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
While all tanks "work" differently, tank balance overall is the best it's ever been.

Quite frankly, your buddy sounds FAR from being an expert healer.

You also have to take the skill level of the tank into account. Back when MoP first came out and everyone was still leveling one of our healers was a bit worried about pally tanks because he ran across a lot that weren't all that good. Then he did a run with me tanking and said "Nevermind, pallies are fine....pull the whole room."
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/15/2013 02:53 AMPosted by Kennjin

I'm a fricking messias and I didn't even know about it, then ! =o

but yeh .. generally speaking, ask tanks about how tanks are. Healers will have a subjective view based on the players they healed (which will have different levels of skills) ..

oh and as harsh as it sounds, both ilvl and stamina can not be used to measure player skill and knowledge.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
yeah, i do find myself not taking so much damage and specially with great healers behind me all i need is a shield or earth shield.

but other than that, i thought they were good cuz the extra stamina lol

oh and he doesnt has experience with monk tanks much either. he was just comparing dk tanks to prot warriors. still, he's my #1 hpally preference lol
Edited by Poel on 2/15/2013 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
To be fair, the OP's friend may simply have run with terrible DKs who weren't gearing well and weren't death striking often enough. My guild had a blood DK at one point who was simply unhealable in raids; he died so often the healers mutinied and the guild removed him from the raid group.

They were hesitant to bring in my DK, but once I was tanking for them they were blown away by how easy I was to keep up. Because like any good tank, I know how to use my active mitigation and how to rotate my survival cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/15/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Gruklaar
To be fair, the OP's friend may simply have run with terrible DKs who weren't gearing well and weren't death striking often enough. My guild had a blood DK at one point who was simply unhealable in raids; he died so often the healers mutinied and the guild removed him from the raid group.

this basicly i know for my self healing on my priest some classes i don't like why i ahve seen more abds of a certain class or in the case of monks the first few monks i meet sucked and created a stigma in my head against them this does happen

PS. at the OP your friends item level is not high enough to show he is an expert:P 483 is LFR gear:P
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys

They were hesitant to bring in my DK, but once I was tanking for them they were blown away by how easy I was to keep up. Because like any good tank, I know how to use my active mitigation and how to rotate my survival cooldowns.

Yes but they should not be basing class balance on their sole experience with just 1 tank. That is a limited sample size right there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]