the impending rollercoaster

90 Night Elf Druid
02/20/2013 10:57 PMPosted by Howmanylichs
[quote]But please, enlighten us.

Please read my post again. I most definitely can do better with 2-3 hours to kill than 50% buff to this and 50% nerf to that. Those aren't actual attempts to solve a problem - those are throwing !@#$ at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Please provide us with the information that is better than a % fix. Not hypothetical information, provide concrete proof with actual sims and mathematics backing it that prove your solution is better than Blizz's. I am really curious how you would solve the multitude of problems with scaling, stat weights, encounter mechanics, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/20/2013 07:23 PMPosted by Thanatosia
you mistake me (and sheesh some of you are down right rude). i dont mean that iam some amazing programmer who knows everything and blizzard sucks. i dont mean to say that blizzard sucks either.

all your post is asking is for bliz to nail class balance absolutely perfectly. It's already their goal. It's what they would love to do. Bliz doesn't do rollercoaster class balancing because they think it's fun, they do it because it's very hard not to.

All your post is doing is yelling at someone doing a extremly difficult highwire act to 'not fall'. Yeah, it's technically good advice, but its not exactly advice that needs to be given.

no thats not what my post is saying. really man, at least say "i assume" thats what you are saying.

all im saying is, keep at it, however another patch with HUGE changes is coming, please be careful please get it right.

if it irks you that i type that out. well then that is not my problem is it XD. just as i cannot expect you to agree, you cannot expect me to change my view based off of your opinions.

ON TOPIC:
all im hoping for is a little more foresight.

for example. fire mages. started out great. they were a little above. but ended up getting completely obliterated and arcane mages rose to power.

and now arcane mages are taking a nerf. That is a rollercoaster.

moonkins. we started out slow this expansion since crit is alot more important now than before. and early on crit sucks. however our burst cycle is already being nerfed cuz it was too bursty and feral burst is cascading into us.

I believe (i could be wrong) but we are being compensated with a 9% buff to sf, wrath and ss.

however now they are eyeing our dots. our dots were the scaling issue that got us the slow start. when they crit ss procs (30% chance). like i said crit sucked before. but now that crit is getting to that nice spot and moonkins are scaling they are keeping an eye out on our dots.

and ill tell you what. i am in favor of the keeping an eye out. thats how it should be. i care not for the tweaks so long as its done with the purpose of keeping balance and done with planning. yes i know blizzard aims for that too. but just in case...just in case...
Edited by Suprêmacy on 2/21/2013 2:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
02/21/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Feathring

Please read my post again. I most definitely can do better with 2-3 hours to kill than 50% buff to this and 50% nerf to that. Those aren't actual attempts to solve a problem - those are throwing !@#$ at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Please provide us with the information that is better than a % fix. Not hypothetical information, provide concrete proof with actual sims and mathematics backing it that prove your solution is better than Blizz's. I am really curious how you would solve the multitude of problems with scaling, stat weights, encounter mechanics, etc.

Ohhhhh one of those people.

Explain to me how a flat 50% buff or nerf to any ability is considered carefully thought out? Explain to me how doubling a single ability's damage is a well thought out change.

Its exactly like I said it was - its throwing !@#$ at a wall and hoping it sticks. The example I provided, in the very post you quoted, is the doubling of damage on serpent sting. It is a poorly scaling ability. If they made hunters "ok" with it this tier, it won't even be close to being "ok" next tier. It will eventually be crap and possibly not worth the focus cost to even cast it.

But you go right on thinking that everything blizzard does is somehow well thought out, planned, and never needs to be fixed (again) after they've done it.

FFS people, no one is asking for everyone to be within 1% of everyone else - I've specifically said I think is a 10% range from top to bottom is more than realistic - and this means across all fights of a given tier. Some will favor spec A over spec B. Some will favor spec B over spec A, but at the end of the day, it should be more than simple enough for a company with over 2 billion a year in revenue to put out a product that meets customer standards. Saying its "too hard" or "impossible" is bull and you know it.

Think of it this way - if you were to just pay people $100,000 a year and all they had to do was balance the game - and keep it balanced - how many people could you hire for QA purposes? You could potentially hire 20,000 people with all of that money. But let's be realistic - do you think a team of say, 50 people could do it? Maybe even 100? Let's say you hire 100 people full time at 100,000 a year (a hefty salary if all you are doing is balancing a game). Blizzard would be putting out 10 million dollars a year for balance reasons. Or, to put it more bluntly, 0.5% of their total revenue.

Its not impossible - its the fact that we as gamers just assume its "too hard" and "can't be done". Its bull. We accept less, so that's what they offer. Would you buy a car that only ran 80% of the time? Would you go to McDonald's, order 10 cheezeburgers but would be happy with only getting 6? 7? 8? Nope. You would demand your 10 cheeseburgers or you would "vote with your money" and you would no longer go to McDonald's.

In vanilla, we had classes that did 40% of the damage of other classes. Each expansion it gets a bit closer. This expansion, we were told that all specs would be viable. We were told that all classes would be within that magical 10% of each other (for dps). Minor adjustments need to be made? Of course - minor adjustments. 5% off of a spell power coefficient here, 5% more weapon damage there. Those are minor adjustments.

Arms is doing poorly in PvE? Let's just redesign how the class works. Seems good to me. Fire scaling "may" be out of control at the end of the expac? Nerf it to the ground now. Seems good to me. Hunters complaining they aren't doing enough damage? Double serpent sting and call it a day. Seems good to me.

None of those is minor adjustments. Most of what's coming in 5.2 aren't minor adjustments. They're pretty significant. And they never had to happen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
so now that the patch is here.

hows it look people? serious question.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

For PvE damage? Not enough logs yet to judge.

For PvP balance? New season hasn't started yet, so it's hard to judge.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Terrible according to certain people who post.

In some sense I don't disagree with the OP; I think blizz does a very poor job of balance.

iam the OP.

just looking for opinions though. the game is always a work in progress, which is a good thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]