expertise

13 Gnome Priest
I don't understand the concept of expertise. Can someone clear it up for me?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Currently, it is essentially the same as Spell Hit for casters. Used to be no benefit to casters, and arguably still is since there is actually very little cloth gear w/ expertise (if any).

Probably mainly useful for feral druids and enhancement shaman.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Expertise
Edited by Jåy on 2/21/2013 3:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
13 Gnome Priest
So what's the practical diff between + to hit gear and + expertise gear (because there is + to hit caster gear)?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/21/2013 04:13 AMPosted by Germet
So what's the practical diff between + to hit gear and + expertise gear (because there is + to hit caster gear)?
Nothing, You need a certain level of hit (depending on your content) to not miss mobs/bosses/raid bosses. For raid bosses it is 15%. So you need to get to 15% either by +Hit% or +Expertise or a combination of the two adding to 15%.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Hit increases your character's ability to not miss. Expertise increases your character's ability to not be dodged/parried. Which sounds like essentially the same thing, but in game mechanics, are two different things.

As Jay said, for a spell caster, expertise also gives spell hit, making it functionally the same as +hit for caster specs. This is actually relevant for three reasons:

1. It allows melee specs that use spell attacks (enhancement shaman, retribution paladins, to a lesser extent rogues as I believe poisons are considered spells) to have the same hit/expertise requirements as other melee classes. 7.5% hit + 7.5% expertise (the caps for non-caster melee) = 15% spell hit

2. It allows pure caster specs (warlocks, mages) who are under hit cap to make the best of poorly itemized pieces of gear. Say your spec doesn't get much benefit at all from crit rating, and you are currently under hit cap and have a piece of gear that has crit and hit on it. You can reforge that crit to expertise to help you reach the spell hit cap. (This essentially replicates the spirit&hit reforging options that balance druids, shadow priests, and elemental shaman have had since cataclysm introduced the spirit=hit conversion for those specs.)

3. It allows casters to benefit from weapon expertise racials. For example, gnomes have a racial called shortblade specialization, which gives them an extra 1% expertise when wielding a dagger or one-handed sword. That means a gnome mage using a spell dagger will get 1% spell hit the same as a gnome rogue would get 1% expertise from using an agility dagger.
Edited by Honorata on 2/21/2013 5:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
13 Gnome Priest
Thanks, guys. I especially like the explanation of the diff between the not-miss chance and the dodge/parry chance. I can see how those would be different.

If I have a choice between a dagger that's +1 int and a staff that's +2 int, I guess I could legitimately pick the dagger for the expertise.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Thanks, guys. I especially like the explanation of the diff between the not-miss chance and the dodge/parry chance. I can see how those would be different.

If I have a choice between a dagger that's +1 int and a staff that's +2 int, I guess I could legitimately pick the dagger for the expertise.
Depending what is in the your off-hand with the dagger, generally speaking, INT is a casters best stat. For DPS casters generally Stat priorities are:

1. Intellect
2. Spellpower (only found on weapons or temp buffs from trinkets)
3. Spell Hit =expertise (=spirit for s. priests)
4. The rest (crit, haste, mastery)

1. It allows melee specs that use spell attacks (enhancement shaman, retribution paladins, to a lesser extent rogues as I believe poisons are considered spells) to have the same hit/expertise requirements as other melee classes. 7.5% hit + 7.5% expertise (the caps for non-caster melee) = 15% spell hit
Yep but since the OP is a priest, spirit is the better option because it will give you some out of combat mana regen.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/21/2013 06:15 AMPosted by Jåy
3. Spell Hit =expertise (=spirit for s. priests)
no
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
02/22/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Shamantra
no

yes it does as of patch 5.0
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]