Veterans of WoW

90 Night Elf Warrior
seriously?
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Mage
Give veteran gamers the title of "Old Fart".

(I'm kidding)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
No.
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter
I had a couple ideas which would make having a "veteran" in your group or raid beneficial. - each year (either by account creation or by wow's release) players would receive small bonus. *5% boost to critical (party or raid members also gain this effect and will stack with ingame buffs) *5% health bonus (party or raid members also gain this effect and will stack with ingame buffs) *Real ID friends who both reach the Veteran status needed will receive bonus experience / reputation gain while grouping together. *5% haste (party or raid members also gain this effect and will stack with ingame buffs)
couple things here.

After 8 years I'm entitled to 40% crit and 40% stam buff? Right.

Are you suggesting this for just the toon that's been played for a long time, or all the toons on the account. I hardly see how a pandaren monk I just rolled 5 months ago is "a grizzled veteran."
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've already got my reward for being a long-time player. I have had many years of entertainment. That's more than good enough for me. :)

Amen.

I played from the original launch all the way till now. I don't need something to deem me a special snowflake, merely the memories of good times back then and good times I'm still having now.

The only possible legacy effect I could see is something like a discount on Blizzard services, like character transfers or race changes (because seriously, they're just way too expensive right now), and maybe a higher preference list on Beta programs for new expansions or Blizzard products.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What about players (such as myself, a Vanilla vet) who don't have access to their original account anymore? Or people who don't use Read ID (Crazy but they're out there!). As for new players having equal or better gear, well... they pay the same monthly fee everyone else does, so their start date shouldn't be held against them, or their opportunities to get top level gear.

What you're suggesting is a clique, a "cool kids club", which would exclude players who have just as much love and dedication to the game as millions of "vets". There are enough elitists out there without encouraging them to act even more superior. Nostalgia is nice, and I love looking back through the last (almost) decade of WoW, but it doesn't mean I am more special than a person who just created an account yesterday.

truth
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I want free stuffs too!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/21/2013 08:20 AMPosted by Yubz
Where's Paladinchaz? He always comments in these threads.

People always miss the point of 'veteran rewards' threads, throwing around phrases like 'entitled' or 'your reward was old content'

Its somewhat ironic that a lot arguing against it are the ones arguing for things like more convinced because they feel 'entitled' to experience everything.

I could make a long drawn out post why veterans awards are good for the game, but its like talking to a brick wall on these forums.

Old content isnt a 'reward' its what those that have been playing a long time paid to have access too back in the day, the fact that another person wasnt playing back then doesnt mean that it was a 'reward' to those who were. Technically an older player has 'invested' a lot more into this game than a newer player has.

And I could cite various other real world companies and programs that reward people for sticking around too but that usually gets lost in the cries of 'entitlement' from the various masses who dont realize how easy they have it these days in regards to gameplay, systems I would have killed for in Vanilla and BC, others have no idea on what its like not to have those.

Again, veterans rewards would not be a one time thing, they would be milestone awards, that with time; everyone could receive, if they kept playing.

Nothing I ever suggested ever gave a character advantage either, thats not the right way to implement a system like this, it would purely be cosmetic rewards, though cosmetic rewards one has that others dont seems to draw out even greater ire than a mere power advantage over another

But brand loyalty, or any sort of loyalty is foreign to the gamer generation of today.

If it wernt for the vets funding this game from day 1, you wouldn't have your game today.
Edited by Paladinchaz on 2/21/2013 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
My reward for playing this game for 8 years has been... playing the game.

I don't need extra incentives or rewards to do an activity I already enjoy doing.

And furthermore, I don't see how these rewards encourage veterans to play. If you don't enjoy a game why would you enjoy being more powerful in a game you don't enjoy?
Edited by Captnronn on 2/21/2013 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Just to chime in with some ideas... Another KNOW which features superheroes has a veteran reward system that gives you a perk every three months you have played. The perks were minor such as special titles or different animations for a movement type, up to quality of life stuff like teleportation to a base. Nothing game breaking just a quality of life improvement.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
My reward has been enjoying my time in game.

Cosmetic things would be cool, but my account shouldn't have any PvE or PvP advantage that a new player does not.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/21/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Annostrasz

My reward for playing this game for 8 years has been... playing the game.

I don't need extra incentives or rewards to do an activity I already enjoy doing.

Why do you view your 'enjoyment of the game' as a 'reward'? Isnt expected that you enjoy a product you pay for? If it wasnt you wouldnt keep playing it.

Paying for a product promising an enjoyable experience and getting that enjoyable experience isnt a 'reward' its getting what you pay for.
Edited by Paladinchaz on 2/21/2013 8:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight

Cosmetic things would be cool, but my account shouldn't have any PvE or PvP advantage that a new player does not.

This. Giving a game play advantage would cause all sorts of issues with raid groups and guilds. Sorry, Kahz. We're having to bench you because you only have a 7 year buff and not an 8 year one.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Things come in time. There are a few mounts and titles around that people who haven't been playing a long time won't have. People still ask me where I got my black proto-drake from. It might be better to ask to let sleeping dogs lie that add new stuff. I used to be so proud of my ghost wolf which took a ridiculous amount of preparation and timing to tame. Then they added Karoma... oh well.

The journey is it's own reward, we don't need anything extra.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/21/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Gillyy
I've already got my reward for being a long-time player. I have had many years of entertainment. That's more than good enough for me. :)

Yup. I don't need free !@#$ to prove that I've been here forever.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
While i would love to to get some kind of cookie for having played WoW as long as I have, It being a bonus that affects gameplay would be unbalanced and not really all that fair.

A title, mount, or something along those lines would be kinda nice though.

Edit: I would like to add that rewarding loyal and longtime customers is a good business practice. While it isn't required of them, It would be a nice way to give back to their dedicated fan base. And an incentive for newer players to stick around.
Edited by Hälcyon on 2/21/2013 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
I have two or three pets that I got just for logging on during anniversary week. I have a mount that no one else can get. There are things that you can EARN in the game. Stop demanding free stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/21/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Deathrattles
Exactly. A common business practice.

It really is, I dont understand why people are so against it, while whining for other forms of entitlement

Everyone will be able to get the 'rewards' eventually
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
02/21/2013 08:55 AMPosted by Somnii
I have two or three pets that I got just for logging on during anniversary week. I have a mount that no one else can get. There are things that you can EARN in the game. Stop demanding free stuff.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]