Bear tanks and the rest of the pack.

90 Night Elf Druid
Alrighty, so ive recently swapped over to bear tank for my guild due to one of our mains leaving. Never really dabbled in bear tanking untill this expac, how would you guys say they "rank" amongst other tanks in terms of survivability and do we have the testicular fortitude to go toe to toe with the best bosses out there? Also if any of you have any corrections or helpful additions to my gear set any and all help is appreciated.
Reply Quote
They are amazing
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I enjoy playing it so far and it seems like they are strong just not sure whats better such as druids having their dodge or a mitigation tank like the paladin, im sure it varies just like everything in this game but there is always that class that has the advantage lol
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
RoC
When it comes to mitigating damage in PVE, Prot Pallies are best. I would possibly say there about 3rd on the tanking spectrum. Behind Blood Dks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Depends on the encounter really. Fights like Will we take basically 0 damage.

But we're not as good on pure magic (or heavily magic) fights as other tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Depends on the encounter really. Fights like Will we take basically 0 damage.

Ya fights with a lot of adds/high melee damage, or fights where we get decent down time with periods of high damage (heroic will for example) is where druids are really strong. On empress for example our dk has to kite his adds even if he blows some CDs, however for me I just chain my CDs and tank them with no issue. He was also getting blown up on heroic windlord where as I rarely dropped below 50%.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Regarding your gear, you seem a little stamina crazy. Are you having issues with dying horribly, consistantly and to the point of despair? If not, remove your focus on stamina.

Focusing Gemming on Crit (Agi/Crit, Crit, Crit/Stam) gems, Enchants should focus on Crit where possible, or agility in other circumstances. Leg enchant as an example should be Agi/Crit.

When it comes to reforging you should look to the following:
Crit > Hit/Exp (remember expertise for a tank is 15% for cap) > Mastery/Haste depending on your preference > Wisdom > Spirit > Chinese Takeaway > Dodge.

When it comes to trinkets, you want 2 stamina and 2 agility trinkets which you can switch depending on the fight, but ultimately it's the crit/hit/exp on your gear which make a bigger difference to your survival (as well as how you spend your rage).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
My personal favorite class to tank with. I have a pally, warrior and DK all tanks and the only one i truly love to play is my bear tank. Tons of HP and pretty decent dps for a tank aswell.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the input guys, I see what you mean why they would be strong for reasons against the mele, but is there a loophole out there for me to better myself against the more magic heavy bosses?

And to Sarella its not so much that i'm getting destroyed its just nice to know that Ive got that cushion i guess in case i get unlucky and aren't able to dodge, but I guess that problem goes away with more agi and crit lol. Is there a magic number i'm lookin for here when it comes to agi and crit? Or is it just preference?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
There isn't really a "loophole". For most fights, you can just use cooldowns and Frenzied Regen wisely and you'll be perfectly fine. Lei Shi is a complete outlier, because it's ALL magic and he can hit like a truck. I think that's one of the few fights where high stam is recommended even for Druid/Monk tanks (not saying you would regem your gear or anything silly, but a flask and trinkets would be fine) to give your healers more room to work with.

I mean, there's no getting around it - you'll get clobbered on Lei Shi, that's just a fact of life (although the discrepancy is exaggerated - one of my guild's main tanks is a Druid and she wasn't bad to heal at all on H Lei Shi, at least once we organized how to chain cooldowns for the final phase). On any other fight where it's a mix of physical and magical damage, you can easily make it up with cooldowns and just topping yourself off with Frenzied Regen. That's why you want a ton of rage gen stats - so that keeping a high SD uptime doesn't consume *all* your resources.

As far as offensive stats go, I really don't think there's a "cap" per se. There may be in future tiers, but for now just keep piling em all on. Just keep in mind that Agi really isn't that effective of a rage generation stat on its own merits - iirc 1 Agi is worth as much rage as like .3 Crit rating. Or something.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Druid tanks are the worst. Never use your active mitigation a. Just rely on your cool downs. U should just use maul primarily for everything and taunt everything whenever it's up on cd. Gem for haste and reforge everything into dodge. Lastly , believe it or not healing gear with spirit is better for tank gear as in bear form the spirit converts into boosting your thick hide by 5 percent for every 100 spirit
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/20/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Morphina
Druid tanks are the worst. Never use your active mitigation a. Just rely on your cool downs. U should just use maul primarily for everything

Savage Defense is good when you're tanking a pack of adds. IMHO it's not the best option for most boss-tanking situations: you can still have an unlucky run of dodges and take big hits in a row. I'd normally only use it if I have enough rage do it without interfering with my use of FR and Maul.

I do use it on Gara'jal because of the Voodoo Doll mechanic though.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Autumni, just ignore him =) He's just mad because people disagreed with him :P
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/20/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Morphina
Druid tanks are the worst.

Morphina playing Druid tanks are the worst.
-- fixed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]