Mouse-Over Issue

90 Troll Rogue
Hi,

I'm running my first healer, a holy paladin, and I've run into a curious issue.

I use the following macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [noharm,exists][@mouseover,exists][] Holy Shock

The issue occurs when I have an enemy or ally targeted. If my mouse is hovering over an player, but I'm targeting an enemy it'll ignore them and attack the enemy. If I target a player but mouse-over an enemy, it'll heal them rather than attack it.

Is there some way to get the macro to make my abilities that are mouse-overs focus on the mouse-over target, while I use other abilities on targeted players/foes?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As far as I can tell, your macro should work. Try substituting "help" for "no harm" and see if it makes a difference. (You also don't technically need the "exists" checks, although they also shouldn't hurt anything)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I don't know much about macros, and mostly copy mine from elsewhere, but what if you switched the modifiers to be:

/cast [@mouseover,exists][noharm,exists][] Holy Shock

?

I'm not sure why it would hit an enemy with the noharm in the first one, but just to try it might be interesting.
Edited by Lifa on 2/15/2013 1:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think he wants a friendly target to take precedence over a mouse over, so switching the order wouldn't work.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I don't know exactly what you want it to do, but this is the "default" mouseover macro that's usually sufficient.

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,exists,nodead][] Holy Shock;

It'll first check for a mouseover target that's alive, regardless if it's enemy or target. If it exists HS will be cast on that target, otherwise it'll be cast on whoever you're directly targeting - or yourself if auto self-cast is enabled.

But if you want to be more specific:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,exists,nodead][help,exists,nodead][@mouseover,harm,exists,nodead][harm,exists,nodead][] Holy Shock;

This will prioritize healing over damage. Checks for a friendly and alive mouseover target, then a friendly and alive default target, then the same two for enemy targets, and finally default to your current target (or yourself).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If I target a player but mouse-over an enemy, it'll heal them rather than attack it.

This is the correct behavior of your macro. You have the "noharm" target condition first, so if you have a friendly targeted it heals them, regardless of mouseover.
If you wrote it [@mouseover,exists][] then it would prefer the mouseover if there is one, then fallback to your target

You could write it [@mouseover,help][harm][@mouseover,harm][help] which will prefer friendly mouseover, then enemy target, then enemy mouseover, then friendly target.
Meaning, if you have an enemy targeted, but mouse over a friendly (they need a heal now!) it goes to them. If you weren't mousing over, it just casts at the enemy. Conversely, if you have the Friendly targetd, you could mouseover the enemy and hit them, or fall back to your friendly target

02/15/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Sreech
Is there some way to get the macro to make my abilities that are mouse-overs focus on the mouse-over target, while I use other abilities on targeted players/foes?

To answer this question: Yes, but you'll have to be more clear as to what you want.
I tend to write my mouseover macros as
/cast [@focus, mod:FOCUSCAST, help][@mouseover,help][] Heal
Which will cast at my ally focus if it exists and i hold alt, at my friendly mouseover, or at my friendly target or myself (the [] is the default behavior)

For something like Penance or Holy Shock, I use something like
/cast [@mouseover, help][@target,help][@target,harm] Penance
which is unnecessarily verbose. When mousing over a friendly, it casts penance on them. when not mousing over a friendly but targeting one, it casts on the friendly target. When not mousing over a friendly but targeting an enemy, it casts on the enemy.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Okay,

So I've read all of the posts thus far; some of it is confusing but the other half I get.

Like this:

02/15/2013 01:59 PMPosted by Evry
You could write it [@mouseover,help][harm][@mouseover,harm][help] which will prefer friendly mouseover, then enemy target, then enemy mouseover, then friendly target.

If I mouse-over a friendly, it'll act on them rather than my targeted enemy. If I have an enemy mouse-over it will prefer them over my friendly target. Right?

For something like Penance or Holy Shock, I use something like
/cast [@mouseover, help][@target,help][@target,harm] Penance

which is unnecessarily verbose. When mousing over a friendly, it casts penance on them. when not mousing over a friendly but targeting one, it casts on the friendly target. When not mousing over a friendly but targeting an enemy, it casts on the enemy.

So, this one casts penance on a friendly that is either targeted or mous'd-over? It won't react if you mouse-over an enemy?

What I'm looking for is to be able to target a friendly, while attacking any enemy; heal them while they are directly targeted on my Hud or attack my enemy my mouse hovers over. I think

[@mouseover,help][harm][@mouseover,harm][help]

is what I'm looking. However, when I tested it out the macro was acting weird. I use #showtooltip for reference but when on my bar it would show as a "?". Is there a way to negate that?

Also, I use:

#showtooltip Holy Shock
/target player
/cast Holy Shock

To self-heal myself on the "fly" but I'd like to to deselect me once used, as when I'm hovering over someone and trying to use a mouse-over heal it just casts on me rather than them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/15/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Sreech
If I mouse-over a friendly, it'll act on them rather than my targeted enemy. If I have an enemy mouse-over it will prefer them over my friendly target. Right?

Yes. It will prefer y our targeted enemy over mouseover enemy. if you don't want that, use
[@mouseover, exists,nodead][] which will simply prefer any mouseover over any target.

So, this one casts penance on a friendly that is either targeted or mous'd-over? It won't react if you mouse-over an enemy?

Correct. I don't like the idea of accidentally casting a penance at a mouseover'd enemy. I usually keep the boss or primary add, etc, targeted.

If you want a macro just to heal you, use [@player]. You could setup a modifier for that too.
ie: [mod:ctrl,@player][] Heal

[@mouseover,help][harm][@mouseover,harm][help]

is what I'm looking. However, when I tested it out the macro was acting weird. I use #showtooltip for reference but when on my bar it would show as a "?". Is there a way to negate that?

It shows "?" b/c it doesn't have a spell for every situation. You can adda [] to the end and it should show, or add the name directly to #showtooltip

What I'm looking for is to be able to target a friendly, while attacking any enemy; heal them while they are directly targeted on my Hud or attack my enemy my mouse hovers over. I think

IMO, this seems awkward for raid healing, where you'd likely want the opposite. If that is what you want, try
[@mouseover, exists,nodead][] for spells that can be cast on enemies or friendlies.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

I've actually tested this once for someone. In case of penance (and I'm guessing most heal/harm spells) you cannot specify for it to cast it on mouseover hostile while friendly targetted or to cast on mouseover friendly while hostile targetted. You can write a macro but spell will refuse to cast. You get a blue hand or you get a spell grayed out. I can't tell you why it does this, but all I know is in case of dual spells like this, you can only specify mouseover over target and so on. Heal/harm won't be prioritizing as they normally should with two different spells. Write it like

/cast [@mosueover,exists][] Penance

and be extra careful when you're casting it.
Edited by Sedivy on 2/17/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
what i use for all my mouse over macros are simple.

/cast [target=mouseover]

forces me to have the mouse over a frame or a person in order to use it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
That doesn't check for existence of a unit under your mouse cursor (in form of a frame, 3D or any other way). Whether you're mousing over a person or not, it'll return the conditional as true and attempt to cast the spell, and since it doesn't have a mouseover unit, it'll fail (and will spam you with an error msg). If you have auto self-cast on, it'll just cast it on you. If you follow it with other conditional like [help] (otherwise cast on target), it'll never read those conditionals as [@mouseover] alone always returns true and macro ends there.

You want
/cast [@mouseover,exists] Spelll
or
/cast [@mouseover,help] Spell

(help implies exists). If you're ever unsure what the macro does, plug it here:
www.macroexplain.com
Edited by Sedivy on 2/20/2013 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]