Major rogues in lore?

90 Troll Shaman
I'm not too sure if rogues have any major lore characters but i haven't heard of any so I'll assume there aren't and post my potential solution which is quite simple; give either varian or anduin a rogue bodyguard, not a mercenary or double agent but a loyal shadow that's always willing to watch their back. I feel this would do two things for rogues lore:

1.) It would keep rogues mysterious and elusive but at the same time allow us to see what they can do without damaging that reputation. 2.) be the shadow to varian/anduin's light in that they could be tempted to use this bodyguard to commit selfish acts.

and lastly though i would prefer it be human, it could be a great chance to add a major lore character to another race such as a gnome.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Rogues aren't supposed to be major lore characters. They're either scoundrels and brigands, or assassins.
A successful assassin would not be famous enough to be a major lore character due to the nature of their profession.
Scoundrels and brigands are out for themselves and as such would generally only accidentally contribute to lore.

Despite that we do have a few:
Mathias Shaw (Head of SI:7)
Garona Halforcen
Duke Falrevere (Leader of the Bloodsail Bucaneers)
Baron Revilgaz (Leader of the Blackwater Raiders)

Edit: added a few
Edited by Kiljagen on 2/16/2013 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
According to the pedia
http://www.wowpedia.org/Rogue

You got Valeera Sanguinar and Maiev Shadowsong as well! VanCleefs are dead. :(
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
http://www.wowwiki.com/Garona_Halforcen

Only one I can really recall, ATM.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
02/16/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Knocrogue

I almost included Maiev but she's technically a Warden which is a good old mix of rogue, warrior, and hunter.

If we're doing mixed classes then you can throw in:
Illidan Stormrage (rogue, warlock)
Vol'jin (rogue, hunter)
Sylvanas (rogue, hunter)
Edited by Kiljagen on 2/16/2013 2:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
02/16/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Kiljagen

I almost included Maiev but she's technically a Warden which is a good old mix of rogue, warrior, and hunter.

Same XD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/16/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Kiljagen

I'll always think of her as mostly a Rogue! Mostly familiar with the Warden portrayed in Warcraft 3:
http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/units/warden.shtml

Their abilities just seem roguey. :P
Well, aside from Vengeance.

Illidan Stormrage was another multi-class hero. Had some Rogue in him.
Multi-class heroes are overpowered.
Edited by Knocrogue on 2/16/2013 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Elling Trias
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/16/2013 02:52 PMPosted by Tantojutsu
Elling Trias

Little do we know, his name is a lie.
He's really VanCleefs son, Edrick VanCleef - Subtlety Rogue who is planning on assassinating Varian at any moment!
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
Multi-class heroes are overpowered.
Lich King was almost as bad as S5 Death Knight.
Edited by Troelvah on 2/16/2013 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
What the !@#$ where did Tanto come from.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Rogues aren't supposed to be major lore characters. They're either scoundrels and brigands, or assassins.
A successful assassin would not be famous enough to be a major lore character due to the nature of their profession.
Scoundrels and brigands are out for themselves and as such would generally only accidentally contribute to lore.

Despite that we do have a few:
Mathias Shaw (Head of SI:7)
Garona Halforcen
Duke Falrevere (Leader of the Bloodsail Bucaneers)
Baron Revilgaz (Leader of the Blackwater Raiders)

Edit: added a few

Which is why i'm saying this rogue should be a bodyguard for either anduin or varian, this way we'd be able to see what rogues do, and while yeah rogues are assasins which is why they'd make such great bodyguards! It wouldn't be strange at all to order your bodyguard to assasinate some certain target before it grows into a bigger threat, and who says all rogues have to be scoundrels anyway?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
02/16/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Relikar
What the !@#$ where did Tanto come from.

IKR that's what I thought when he posted but then I was like "Meh he's Tanto. He's a !@#$ing ninja he's allowed to be all sneaky.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
02/16/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Totemfiend
and who says all rogues have to be scoundrels anyway?

The dictionary does.

rogue
n.
1. An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.
2. One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.
3. A wandering beggar; a vagrant.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
02/16/2013 02:24 PMPosted by Kiljagen

Ehh....not in a story telling sense.

Usually their stories are told one of a few ways:

1) From the PoV of the assassin...in which case you are playing the person...so that wouldnt work as a major WoW lore char (i.e. you cant roll Varian, even though you can roll a warrior)

2) From an "insider" perspective. I.e. the fellow assassin. Afterall if you yourself are privy to all the dealings in the "underworld" you might know of assassins that stay hidden from others.

3) Ally perspective. As in, you meet the big wig assassins on your side of the conflict and aid them every now and then with their missions, or at least encounter them at points as you progress through the story.

Doesnt mean you can NEVER see or hear of the good assassins.

Now as for rogues in general.....that depends on how you define who is a rogue.

If you take rogue as strictly ninja/assassins, you arent going to find many major lore chars who fit the bill imo. If you take it in a more broad "outside the law" kid of guy, you get a bit more people you can point to.

Imo, I dont think any major lore char screams rogue.

For instance if you ask someone who just has moderate interest in WoW lore, someone who plays WoW, reads the major quest plots, follows the main story and may dive into a few detailed bits here and there about the background of the main figures....

Ask them who are some famous paladins and they can probably tell you a few

Ask them about shamans, again you get a few (THRALL!!!!)

Ask them about warriors? Varian

Druids? Malfurion

Hunters? Rexxar, Sylvannas

Death Knights? ARTHAS!!!!!!

Mage? Soooo many to name here...

Priests? Valen and Anduin most recently

Warlocks? Again just like mages there are quite a few

Monks are a really recent addition so not many major lore chars for them yet, But even they have Chen

I think one of the reasons for low rogue pop (one of MANY mind you) is just this fact.....there are not really any notable Lore chars that scream out rogue.

Maive is close.....but if you ask a person who she mosts represents I think you will get a good amount to say warrior as well as rogue.

Garona is one..but again I doubt most people will know who she is

Then you have the VanCleefs who are not THAT major of lore chars, in the sense that again a person with moderate interests will know how they connect with the plot

Then you have Mathias Shaw...but again unless you play an ally AND a rogue you likely wont know who he is or what he does really.

I am not saying its a big major problem....just something I have noticed. No many people can rattle off a list of influential and important rogue figures like they can Mages, Locks, or Warriors.

Boy....I didnt mean for this to be so long lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I think Garona and Valeera are the only "major" 100% Rogues in the lore. Neither of which have got much attention in WoW.

All the other major lore characters that have Rogue attached are multi-class heroes.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/17/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Layy
I love playing a class that isnt well represented lore wise. That is because Rogues are scoundrels, theives and killers not worthy of fame

And they're also assasins, and an assasin can be loyal. Rogues are essentially the ninja's of wow and back in feudal japan some warriors did have loyal ninja bodyguards. just because I'm a rogue doesn't mean I have to be exactly the same as every other rogue. Hmm I guess what I'm arguing is for someone with rogue training who isn't a scoundrel.

But I do agree with the not worthy of fame bit in a way, They shouldn't be recognized for their achievements instead it would be linked to the person they protect, and the player char would agree to keep their existence a secret. this rogue would serve as anduin's shadow which i think he may need as he's simply too nice and as such reckless.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
02/17/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Layy
I love playing a class that isnt well represented lore wise. That is because Rogues are scoundrels, theives and killers not worthy of fame

Al Capone?

Blackbeard?

Heck, take any high profile serial killer....

These peoples were scoundrels, thieves and killers....yet are widely known.

Doesnt matter in fantasy or reality, just because someone is an effective assassin doesnt mean they cant be known to the reader, or in WoW's case the players/major lore chars.

For some kind of corny example.

Lets say Varian had a highly effective assassin at his side that he used to do dirty work. This char could be widely known to players just like everyone knows of Jaina and Thrall and etc. even if the assassin is only known by Varian in the "NPC" world.

But there is no one like that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/17/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Timat

Al Capone?

Blackbeard?

Heck, take any high profile serial killer....

These peoples were scoundrels, thieves and killers....yet are widely known.

Doesnt matter in fantasy or reality, just because someone is an effective assassin doesnt mean they cant be known to the reader, or in WoW's case the players/major lore chars.

For some kind of corny example.

Lets say Varian had a highly effective assassin at his side that he used to do dirty work. This char could be widely known to players just like everyone knows of Jaina and Thrall and etc. even if the assassin is only known by Varian in the "NPC" world.

But there is no one like that.

This is pretty much what I'm asking for a personal shield/assasin for varian or anduin. Who isn't afraid to get there hands dirty if ever ordered away on a solo mission.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]