Varian, an actually High King?

Also, they might have placed Varian in that station so that they can juxtapose him with Garrosh with the two being similar (as supreme leaders of their respectve factions) but with Varian being the "ideal" protagonist and Garrosh being the "messed-up" antagonist. "Varian is leading his faction the right way while Garrosh isn't."

What's funny is that they haven't really done this lately. The Horde storyline has switched more to "The Horde PC is amazing and noble and the hope for the future of the Horde." Garrosh is practically an afterthought.
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Hunter
02/18/2013 03:10 AMPosted by Zerde
What exactly was he suppose to do, let the dwarves have a bloodly civil war?

Supported the Bronzehammers and let them wipe out Moria and the Dark Irons.

02/18/2013 03:10 AMPosted by Zerde
The Alliance has been trying to bring back the blood elves since Burning Crusade. Besides, its not like Varian is the only one who uses various diplomatic channels. Heck, Tyrande allowed for a secret druid meeting back in Cata to talk about peace. Something tell me Varian and the other leaders were not in the loop back then.

He wasn't right to !@#$% at Jaina for kicking the Sunreavers out of Dalaran and screwing up the negotiations either. He hadn't told anyone and he HAD been agitating for Jaina to do exactly what she did. So he has little real reason to complain when she is left out of the loop.

02/18/2013 02:19 AMPosted by Gandred
I really don't get why they went with High King. Why didn't they just go with S.A.C like they did before? High King is VERY confusing as a title name to people because it makes it sound like he has power over every nation when it is literally just a military title. Perhaps they are saving S.A.C for Turaylon? I don't know it just seems like it would have been better if they had gone with S.A.C.

I think it's fairly clear they wanted to be the High King to be exactly what it implies. It's just that after the forum backlash, they backpeddled.

I think that's exactly what happened. they wanted it to be something much, more than just military power and were caught by surprise when the fans wanted the Alliance to be an actual Alliance and not a human run empire.

02/18/2013 05:38 AMPosted by Zerde
That is not really how the Alliance works. When Onyxia and the "fake" Varian were mucking up Stormwind King Magni didnt go "let the humans handle it". On that note lets not forget the entirety of Stormwind was fooled for 4+years by Onyxia. Every race has has had bouts of incompetence.

Magni didn't march into Stormwind and cast down Onyxia either, and neither did she have any say in what the dwarves did with their forces. The only forces she controlled were the ones of Stormwind.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
Personally I understand why a High King is needed. Too many leader at the top and things tend to not get done in a timely fashion. Especially in a time of war. I would like them to show the genesis of it and for the other leaders to express their concerns about it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
02/18/2013 07:48 AMPosted by Kynrind
Supported the Bronzehammers and let them wipe out Moria and the Dark Irons.

Again civil war. Moria is still the rightful heir to the throne and I am sure there are many loyalist to the crown.

He wasn't right to !@#$% at Jaina for kicking the Sunreavers out of Dalaran and screwing up the negotiations either. He hadn't told anyone and he HAD been agitating for Jaina to do exactly what she did. So he has little real reason to complain when she is left out of the loop.

Part of me always wonder about that. Seem counter intuitive to agitate the blood elves when your trying to get them to join your side. I like to believe that he only start to open negotiations after the whole "fate of Dalaran" quest. as an off note the music really wanted me to believe Jaina was right. Granted we wont know for sure unless the Kosak or a blue decides to chime in.

I think that's exactly what happened. they wanted it to be something much, more than just military power and were caught by surprise when the fans wanted the Alliance to be an actual Alliance and not a human run empire.

I really doubt it. Just look at this interview.

We said at BlizzCon, there's a big marquee quest line coming up that takes great advantage of the scenarios that Dave and Scott were talking about today that adds this sort of new place between solo questing and dungeoneering. And we call it the Trials of the High King, and hopefully at the end of this thing, leading right up to the gates of Orgrimmar, Varian's really gonna find his feet and he's really gonna become ... You know, like when I look back at Warcraft past and I see guys like Uther and Lothar -- Stunning, Chris, how many vowels and "th" sounds can you throw into your names? I guess we're just lucky there weren't any apostrophes in there -- but I very much always wanted Varian to become like those characters, you know? He's a little younger than they are, but there's a stud in there, a rock inside that kid, that could be a better king than his daddy was, a better king than we've ever seen.

That convinced that the high king deal was just suppose to about military control and not an attempt at making Varian god king of the Alliance. The Alliance does need a new figurehead leader like Lothar. Done right I think many Alliance fans will enjoy Varian's storyline.

Magni didn't march into Stormwind and cast down Onyxia either, and neither did she have any say in what the dwarves did with their forces. The only forces she controlled were the ones of Stormwind.

That wasnt my point. My point was Magni interfered in human politics. He realize what happens to Stormwind would affect the Alliance as a whole and he had to act. Just as Varian had to act or risk having a civil war that would drag the entire Alliance with it.
Edited by Zerde on 2/18/2013 8:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'd really like it if all the races got a bit more decentralized and self-deterministic.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid

I really doubt it. Just look at this interview.

There are other interviews that say the other races WOULD worship Varian as king.

That wasnt my point. My point was Magni interfered in human politics. He realize what happens to Stormwind would affect the Alliance as a whole and he had to act. Just as Varian had to act or risk having a civil war that would drag the entire Alliance with it.

Are you seriously comparing a black dragon using magic to hypnotize everyone into doing what she says to what Varian did?

It wasn't incompetence, it was magic. Jesus christ, it's silly to even try and compare the two.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
The whole High King thing was the Tyrande's idea in the first place!

Obviously she is submitting to Varian's authority(don't know is the other nations will submit though)!
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
The whole High King thing was the Tyrande's idea in the first place!

Yes, which is equally as stupid.

But, I can't say her meddling in the other races political structure is necessarily OOC for her either.
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Hunter
02/18/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Zerde
Again civil war. Moria is still the rightful heir to the throne and I am sure there are many loyalist to the crown.

She might be one of the heirs to the throne, but she was not popular by any means. The moment she showed up, she and the Dark Irons installed a dictatorship and it would have gone worse. Sooner than later she would have faced a full on rebellion as she was giving the Dark Irons more power and influence over the Bronzehammers(or is it Bronzebeards?). Either way, things were coming to a boil because she wasn't liked.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
How will Varian gain the other factions support though?

Draenei, Dwarves, Worgen and Gnomes still haven't had their Trial with Varian yet!
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Worgen already worship him as a godking, so.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Draenei, Dwarves and Gnomes then which makes 3 more trials to go......
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Velen was already shamed by Anduin, so I'm sure he's out, the Dwarves have already shown they won't stand up to him, so that leaves the gnomes.

That's right. The Gnomes are currently the Alliance's best hope to stick it to the man.

How sad is that?
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Monk
If you want to see the genesis of the whole Varian is the High King, then you really need to go read Wolfheart.

The main plot of the book was Tyrande getting a vision from Elune that Varian is the only leader/hope for the Alliance against the rising tide of the orcs. She and Malfurion then spend the rest of the plot trying to get Varian to be that single leader that will lead the Alliance to victory.

After Varian rescues the Alliance military in Ashenvale from complete destruction at the hands of Garrosh, he gives a big speech, that everyone applauds and approves of, about how the Alliance needs to come together and basically operate as one to beat back the Horde, as well as Deathwing. Tyrande and Malfurion are happy that Varian finally claims the mantle that Elune promised. He was made all but High King at the end.

And then who orders the PC around in Cata with those boards? Varian. Just as the Horde is ordered around by the only leader they all have, Garrosh.

The only problem is that evidently it's forgotten in MoP with these Trials since, as we saw in Wolfheart, he already proved himself to the rest of the Alliance leadership, and since Elune told Tyrande that Varian is Her Chosen, there shouldn't be any reason for the scenario, since according to Tyrande herself, only Elune can forbid her anything and she spent all of Wolfheart trying to prove Elune right and now she is evidently questioning the goddess...

weird stuff....
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/18/2013 04:52 AMPosted by Threeslotbag
Based on the title I expected more weed jokes in this thread.

When you put it that way... Malfurion should be the High King.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
02/18/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Fuliculi
weird stuff....

You forget that most of Wolfheart is really utter bullcrap that shouldn't be canon.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 2/18/2013 11:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Hunter
02/18/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
weird stuff....

You forget that most of Wolfheart is really utter bullcrap that shouldn't be canon.

Unfortunately that is canon.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Lets just all agree that the entire High King thing is stupid, Tyrande giving her troops over to him is stupid and that we hope its not going to come up again and/or disbanded come the next expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Two things, 1) harnessing the sha as weapon seem like a pretty military decision 2) Stormwind does have a powerful say considering its the nation fielding the largest fighting force of the Alliance.

It wasn't just a military decision. That's the point. How far does military go? It was a choice on whether or not the alliance would be corrupted by the sha.

Paladins are pretty cool, maybe Varian should make the night elves worship the light so we have more paladins for the army. Seems like a military decision. Or maybe draenei should be forced to have warlocks since they're great spell casters. Oh, another military decision.

How far does his power go? If he's in control on whether or not the alliance get's sha corrupted that's way, way too much power. Basically anything could be made as a "military decision."
Edited by Lena on 2/18/2013 12:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
A high king is a king who holds a position of seniority over a group of other kings, without the title of Emperor; compare King of Kings. A high king is a king superior to other kings.

but in this game i wouldn't read too much into the title. Varian leading the alliance is a good thing. the other race leaders don't seem to have a problem with it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]