I am intimidated by tanking

90 Undead Priest
I want to roll a tank.

Is it on the same level as healing?

Is there a lot to learn?

I am not worried about the 5 mans, just the raids. They seem to have the hardest job when it comes to raids.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The only fight i've found on all of my tanking toons that takes more than 37% of your brain to tank raid-wise, is the Stone Guard. However, if you can grasp the concept of taunting Mob-A when Mob-B is overloading, you'll be quite fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/18/2013 07:41 AMPosted by Romanie
The only fight i've found on all of my tanking toons that takes more than 37% of your brain to tank raid-wise, is the Stone Guard. However, if you can grasp the concept of taunting Mob-A when Mob-B is overloading, you'll be quite fine.

Aww man I can only use 10% of my brain all the time. 37% is a lot :)

So it is really that easy? I am going to try one then.

Any recommendations, for a Horde Tank?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I can tank my butt off in the lower lvl instances but for some reason at 85 (back when 85 was cap) my tanking skills seemed to elude me. Or so said all of the DBAGs I came into contact with in instances.

Low lvl tanking like a pro. Max lvl tanking retard. Somehow it just didn't add up for me or I couldn't accept the judges decision. Judges being some mouthy craphead(s) depending on the instance, right?

So, my conclusion is that they were WRONG. Totally and absolutely WRONG in their assessment of my tanking skills. I believe nothing was wrong in my tanking, they just wanted me to NOT have the tanking spot in my old guild. Thats all it really came down to. Good old jealousy and ppl being dbags.

So, in conclusion of this post my advice to you is NOT LISTEN to the naysayers and the dbaggers and the negative nancys. If you want to tank read the tank advice posts, websites. Get the appropriate gear for tanking and just go for it.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Mage
Easy classes for tanking (great for new players) to the most challenging, in descending order.

(personal opinions may vary)

1. Warrior
2. Death Knight
3. Paladins
4. Monks
5. Druids

Keep in mind, no class is necessarily better than the other. It's all a matter of which you prefer in terms of a challenge when it comes to tanking. Individual results may vary. This is my opinion and should not be taken as written truth. Enjoy!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I will research. It just seemed like a lot of work, since I am always standing at a distance and really don't pay attention to what tanks are doing. I only look at the character bars and where I am standing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Easy classes for tanking (great for new players) to the most challenging, in descending order.

(personal opinions may vary)

1. Warrior
2. Death Knight
3. Paladins
4. Monks
5. Druids

Keep in mind, no class is necessarily better than the other. It's all a matter of which you prefer in terms of a challenge when it comes to tanking. Individual results may vary. This is my opinion and should not be taken as written truth. Enjoy!

I hate healing Druids and Monk Tanks. I won't put that nonsense on other healers. Since there are a lot of bad healers out there, and I am sure this is just guaranteeing a lot of wipes.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/18/2013 07:51 AMPosted by Healustrious
I will research. It just seemed like a lot of work, since I am always standing at a distance and really don't pay attention to what tanks are doing. I only look at the character bars and where I am standing.

If that is your accustomed playstyle, it may take some getting used to, in order to play a tank properly then.

Go read the tanking forum. There are quite a few threads on there that will give you some wonderful pointers on things. :)

**Try rolling a pally tank to start with. At low levels, their aoe comes in handy when you are first learning the ropes. Do not roll a dk to start with - it will not give you enough time to learn the ins and out before hitting the Outlands dungeons and having to deal with the utter cluster-F that those places usually are.
Edited by Evilmuffin on 2/18/2013 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Easiest class to possibly tank as (while leveling)- Paladin.

1) Throw Shield
2) Concecrate
3) Holy Wrath
4) Hammer of the Righteous

Do this until you get Shield of the Righteous, and then you get a little more DPS as an alternative to a quick self heal.
Edited by Romanie on 2/18/2013 7:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
In my opinion 5 man heroics are actually harder on tanks than raiding. Usually the hardest thing I have run into while tanking in raids is an aggro swap for dropping stacks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I rolled a paladin for my tank.
AoE grinding for leveling is fun.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Mage
Easiest class to possibly tank as (while leveling)- Paladin.

1) Throw Shield
2) Concecrate
3) Holy Wrath
4) Hammer of the Righteous

Do this until you get Shield of the Righteous, and then you get a little more DPS as an alternative to a quick self heal.

My main is a paladin, but I've also leveled a DK. I actually find tanking easier on a DK than on my paladin (I'm sad to admit). Warrior tanks seem to be the cat's meow this expansion, so I'll defer them the number one slot....until I see otherwise. Pallies and DKs could easily be interchangeable between 2 and 3 on my list.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/18/2013 08:00 AMPosted by Taalia
Warrior tanks seem to be the cat's meow this expansion, so I'll defer them the number one slot....until I see otherwise.

Warriors tend to be kind of hard for new tanks to cope with. Their low level abilities are not really newbie friendly. Pallys, by far, are the easiest tank class to play, for someone who is new to tanking.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Evilmuffin
Warriors tend to be kind of hard for new tanks to cope with. Their low level abilities are not really newbie friendly. Pallys, by far, are the easiest tank class to play, for someone who is new to tanking.

I agree with this. Warrior tanks seem to be more "pro-active" playing style when compared to the other tanks classes.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Mage
02/18/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Evilmuffin
Warrior tanks seem to be the cat's meow this expansion, so I'll defer them the number one slot....until I see otherwise.

I suppose I have been fortunate to see some very good warrior tanks this expansion, hence my bias in favor of them. I still love my pally.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Things to remember when tanking:

1. You can still avoid while strafing
2. Always face enemy melee, otherwise you wont block/etc.
3. You can use LoS to pull casters around corners so you can do your rotations on a nice neat bunch. You will have to tell your party what you're doing, but more than likely they'll be stupid and attack without waiting anyway.
4. It can be high stress. You have to deal with stupid dps, or cocky dps thinking they can do what they please. Tank leads. Don't try to babysit their bad behavior, don't taunt and let them die (unless you're just that nice of a person).
5. It is important to know your defensive cooldowns and know when to use them.
6. If you feel that you are taking too much damage from the pulls in the dungeon, ask for CC. Any locked out mob is a mob not hitting you. (Again, prepare for stupid DPS to break it).
7. Ignore the haters. You'll get rude folks running their mouth, ignore them. You get instant queues.

Tanking can be fun, especially when you got all the technicalities down and you have a rocking healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
tanking is quite easy, but theres a difference between an awesome tank and a tank.
Learn to play with your cd and debuff.
As a tank in the horde, tauren with the 5% increase health is a good choice.
Personnaly i like blood elf for the interupt, always useful.
But any races can tank well, choose what you enjoy playing.

In raid, the hardest job depend on the fight, most of them are the tank but healing is always a challenge. It's a different playstyle than healing, some will find it harder, other easier. Personally i think tanking is easier.

Things to learn :
- defensive cooldown (before a big attack, it's prevention, don't pop it after, it's not useful if the next one is in 20sec)
- looking at the other tank debuff to change agro
- Moving the boss so dps to make dps job easier (away from stuff like tornado and fire)
- use your interupt
- learn the fight, in lfr you can get away with just reading the boss spells in the dungeon journal or asking the other one, but not in normal/heroic.
- And the last one is one for dk and pali, when to loose some dps to gain surviability, as exemple, keeping your rune up before a big attack or if the healer has to move.

Tanking seems hard, but try it and you will see, it's a ton of fun and not realy hard.
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
02/18/2013 07:53 AMPosted by Healustrious
I hate healing Druids and Monk Tanks. I won't put that nonsense on other healers. Since there are a lot of bad healers out there, and I am sure this is just guaranteeing a lot of wipes.
Warriors are the ones you don't want to get caught on with a bad healer. They are the only tanks without a self heal (except second wind).

I've played druid/warrior mains since BC. Druid is the one who always gets the compliments. The tend to take a bit more skill to play -well- so you don't see good ones in LFD etc. Then you run into one who's health bar never moves. Monks are pretty much the same way, the bad ones are terribad, the good ones are awesome.

Imo my warrior was way more fun in Cata etc. This feels like a return to BC with spamming shield block/barrier every CD.

Tanking raids is an entirely different skillset than 5 mans though. It's more about timing and less about rounding mobs up. Good situational awareness is required to be competent. Even when all you can see is dragon crotch you are supposed to pick things up etc.
Edited by Loans on 2/18/2013 8:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I have found probably the easiest tank is the pally. They just have everything in terms of tanking abilities, control and utility. Very easy to round up mobs and place them. Anything goes wrong you have some good utility to get out of it.

Warriors are good, but takes some getting use to and they don't have the utility a pally brings to the table. (But they sure are fun to play!!)

Druids, blah couldn't get one past 52.

Monks and DKs never tried. Not sure I would like keeping track of two resources while trying to tank.

edit: missed a word.
Edited by Bumpkinz on 2/18/2013 8:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Just prepare ahead of time. Read the boss strats for every boss fight. You don't have to study and remember every detail by heart, but if you can at least arrive at a boss and say something to yourself like: "Oh! This is the boss that needs to be taunted when I get 5 stacks!" or "Oh! This is the boss that breathes fire! I should face him away from the raid when he breathes fire!"

And you know what's the coolest thing of all? Just play the game on your DPS or favorite toon, and try to understand what's going on during the fight before you start playing your tank alt!!!

Like let's pretend during raids, you're usually chatting with people, or you're watching Futurama episodes, or you're starring at your toolbar 99% of the time clicking spells with your mouse... try watching what is happening around the boss and the tank. Try observing how the tank is positioning the boss, watch the "Target Target's Window" and observe when and why the tank and offtank and taunting off one another.

You could read up tons of tanking guids and boss tanking strats, but most bosses, especially those in LFD and LFR, you can just watch how the tanks play to get a general idea of what to do! Then you read some guides to help improve on a few mechanics.

Because from what I noticed, many people think tanking is just a faceroll. You spec as tank, get a few pieces of gear with Parry, Dodge and Mastery, then you queue up as tank and spam 2-3 buttons, hold aggro and the healer is supposed to keep you alive. But it's not always like that! Blizzard actually put some hard bosses that actually requires a bit of coordination in between 2 tanks! But all that coordination is NOT HARD to learn!!! Just read what I wrote above and tanking is not only easy, but extremely fun! ...... oh and you get instant queues! WHHEEE
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]