I am intimidated by tanking

90 Goblin Warrior
I only started pve let alone tanking about a month after MoP dropped. I have a lot to learn about it still but once you understand the basic mechanics of your class and the encounters it flows pretty well.

Only boss I've cleared so far that I don't like is Stone Guards (Jasper/Amethyst/Cobalt combo) only because you have a lot more stuff to watch out for.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Nowadays, tanking means knowing when to aoe, and single target.

Aside from that, It's like any other dps class...except you want to be the only one getting hit.

Later on down the road, you'll learn about cooldowns, but by then you'll have the hang of it.
Reply Quote
Nah, not that hard.

But until you've become a good Tank, only run with people that you are friends with, or Guildies that understand that you are learning and will be patient and understanding. I've seen way too many new Tanks in a LFG and they just get ripped apart by other players who don't want to give them a break. It's amazing how seriously people will take this stuff.
Reply Quote
42 Tauren Warrior
I want to roll a tank.

Is it on the same level as healing?

Is there a lot to learn?

I am not worried about the 5 mans, just the raids. They seem to have the hardest job when it comes to raids.

The only hard part is the many ways other people mess with you. Pulling for you, messing with your concentration by suddenly speed-boosting or levitating you, refusing to follow you, not actually doing their jobs in various ways, sapping or trapping the foe you were lined up to charge at, polymorphing a foe who is right in the middle of the action - for no obvious reason...

... bringing along an RAF hunter alt who not only doesn't help at all but who auto-shoots whatever it is you target before you can charge... who has a pet with growl on. OH, and that player is a warlock with her taunting blueberry out. (actually happened to me yesterday).

...Healers who heal the DPS who pulled instead of healing you, even though you are in the thick of it and need healing more...

...Healers who go away from keyboard or who are on auto-follow and don't say anything...

Basically, the only part about tanking that is odious is other people. You can't control them.

If the thought that your own teammates will work against you, regularly undermine you, and just plain let you down OFTEN puts you off, then tanking might not be for you.

OH, but you only ask about RAID tanking. Oh, I am sure that is much much better. Good luck with that.
Edited by Candu on 2/18/2013 9:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I'm leveling a new Monk tank.

It's been an awful experience. I'm an experienced tank from playing two Blood DKs. One of which is a 25 man raid tank.

Players in random 5 mans you will see while leveling are awful. I just hit Burning Crusade and so far I've been yelled at for the following:

*Skipping instance bosses
*Not skipping instance bosses
*Pulling too quickly
*Pulling too slowly
*Pulling too many mobs
*Pulling too few mobs
*Going out of my way to get to dungeon quest objectives.
*Not going out of my way to get to dungeon quest objectives.
*Not protecting the idiot DPS who think they need to run ahead and pull every single pack.
*Having the nerve to insist that I pull so that I can do my job.

tl;dr -- people are going to insist that you're doing it wrong no matter what. Knowing when you're actually doing something wrong versus idiots thinking they know how you should be tanking can be a difficult thing to determine when you're new to the role.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Oh, and LFR tanking is the stuff of nightmares. People will always blame you for a wipe even when it makes literally no sense. I got vote-kicked out of a Mogushan Vaults run because the other tank didn't know the encounter and thought he had to stack his boss on top of my boss at all times.

People will scream at you when some random derp pulls an extra 12 mantid during the trash before the first boss in Heart of Fear. Also, people will not understand what Fixate is, refuse to stack up, and yell at you for letting the mobs attack them.

The other tank will not taunt off of you (no matter how many times you ask) when you need a boss to be taunted off because it applies stacks of nasty debuffs; and it will somehow be your fault when you die.

You will, at least once, end up tanking literally all the adds AND the boss during Blade Lord. And the healers will tell you that you take too much damage -- failing to realize that the other tank is "mysteriously" not taking any hits.

.....I'm not bitter at all.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Open up the raid journal and look for any moves with the shield icon. You must know those, and learn everything if you can actually. Watch videos. Best of all ask your fellow tank, make sure he knows what he's doing and should advice you if you don't.

Most fights are.....boss uses a spell that makes tank take more damage or unable to tank, other tank taunts. Back and forth. Throw in some adds or what not. Just ask and you'll learn it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I would say that tanking and healing are roughly the same in difficulty but for different reasons.

As a tank your the one who makes the pulls and your the one who the group follows around and because the boss follows you, your mistakes are usually very easy to spot and come with a higher price when you do mess up.

The first time you tank you may feel a little overwhelmed if you just try a tank spec on a level 90 character. However if you level a toon as a tank I doubt you will feel much pressure at 90 and things will go well for you.

Tanking raids is pretty fun, tanking 5-mans and LFR is pretty mindless.
Reply Quote
42 Tauren Warrior

tl;dr -- people are going to insist that you're doing it wrong no matter what. Knowing when you're actually doing something wrong versus idiots thinking they know how you should be tanking can be a difficult thing to determine when you're new to the role.

Thank you for this.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/18/2013 09:33 AMPosted by Aeolyn
Oh, and LFR tanking is the stuff of nightmares.

I've been levelling a tank and enjoying it but I'm not sure if I'd ever want to tank LFR.
Reply Quote
42 Tauren Warrior

You will, at least once, end up tanking literally all the adds AND the boss during Blade Lord. And the healers will tell you that you take too much damage -- failing to realize that the other tank is "mysteriously" not taking any hits.

.....I'm not bitter at all.

I... I love you.
Reply Quote
42 Tauren Warrior
The real PvP is in LFG dungeons. Play a tank, and both your foes and your teammates will fight you every step of the way. When you survive to the end, you feel like a GOD.
Reply Quote
Monk is probably the most challenging post 80, when you start dealing with heavy damage

Druid is probably the most challenging to start off with, due to lack of agro buttons early on (i think you get swipe at 20? so first 3 or so dungeons might be challenging)

I havent played paladin or warrior since the changes, but i suspect that they are probably relatively easy starting off and ending off so might be better if you're feeling really intimidated

Death Knight remains simple, but you do feel a little like your out in the air a few times because so much of your survival is baked in baseline, you really only have major cooldowns and DS shield to mtigate actively with

all that said, nothing like just diving in and having fun. really any of the tanks are simple enough to learn if you care. :)

the scale as i see it goes a-like this, 1 being most passive (least worry regarding cooldowns and rotational mitigation) and 5 being the most active (have to worry about cooldowns and rotational mitigation the most, but more freedom)

you say you hate healing druids and monks, they have the highest learning curve, but when mastered, they seem to have an edge in versatility and survability at the right time, whereas dks are pretty crunchy overall, but have much less "O!@#$" when you need it.

5 Monk
4 Druid
3 Warrior
2 Paladin
1 Death Knight
Edited by Aladster on 2/18/2013 10:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
95 Undead Warrior
Don't be scared. Each class has its own benefits it brings to the table.

My recommendation is to roll whichver class you choose and only level it through tanking dungeons. It will go very quick because you will have insta ques, and you will be able to learn your skills 1 by 1 and encorporate them into your play as you level.

IMO this is the best way to learn.

As far as classes go, look around on here, there are many posts about how each class works.

I disagree with one of the above posters, warriors are definitely not the easiest class to tank with. Paladins are definitely the most user friendly.

Don't be afraid, I rolled a warrior tank after healing for years. He is now my main, and my priest has taken a backseat.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Give it a shot, tanking can be quite entertaining.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/18/2013 09:41 AMPosted by Glasscannon
Tanking raids is pretty fun, tanking 5-mans and LFR is pretty mindless.

One thing MOP did right was the dungeons. I really miss those, were fun on my monk going back through them though. Tanks actually had to do certain things like avoid damage, pick up adds, turn bosses certain ways.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I personally find healing much more stressful and challenging than tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Started off tanking a paladin. I recommend it to start.
Edited by Bubblêtea on 2/18/2013 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Easy classes for tanking (great for new players) to the most challenging, in descending order.

(personal opinions may vary)

1. Warrior
2. Death Knight
3. Paladins
4. Monks
5. Druids

Keep in mind, no class is necessarily better than the other. It's all a matter of which you prefer in terms of a challenge when it comes to tanking. Individual results may vary. This is my opinion and should not be taken as written truth. Enjoy!

I hate healing Druids and Monk Tanks. I won't put that nonsense on other healers. Since there are a lot of bad healers out there, and I am sure this is just guaranteeing a lot of wipes.

Class doesn't matter. Good tanks are a breeze to heal, bad tanks are not. The only reason druids and monks seem worse is they don't have the passive blocking that pallies and warriors get so the bad ones stand out more.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/18/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Illucia
I personally find healing much more stressful and challenging than tanking.

I did as well. I gave up being healer because it literally gave me headaches.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]