89 Pandaren Shaman
How Effective is it?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
pretty damn effective
Reply Quote
Here's a random fight with my ST in it:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-k6clstbhxacl4l6j/details/0/?s=6343&e=7127

I dropped it twice, and it dealt 377,419 damage. That's 18,871 dps by itself.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
In my 10m, I typically see between 1.4 and 1.8 million damage done per drop (I wrote an addon to track who drops stormlashes and how much damage is done by it).

On some other fights with modifiers, it can be higher. For example, in P1 Heroic Sha of Fear with Lei Shi's 15% haste buff and Bloodlust, we've seen Stormlash totems worth up to 2.8 million damage in 10m.

On Heroic Windlord, where there's a damage modifier, it did roughly 7 million damage.

I can't say for sure what 25mans normally see. I don't remember LFR numbers, and I'm sure they're smaller than you'd expect from a coordinated raid anyway. I suppose you should expect roughly 2.5 times as much. Perhaps slightly more, due to the higher ratio of DPS to Healers/Tanks.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
Super Effective!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
02/18/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Gijira

It's actually 482 DPS. I don't know where the hell you're getting 18k from.

EDIT: Just divided 377,419/20 and got your answer. That is not how you math DPS (At least not sustained DPS, which is what matters outside of real gimmicky situations).
Edited by Peroration on 2/19/2013 12:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
In my 10m, I typically see between 1.4 and 1.8 million damage done per drop (I wrote an addon to track who drops stormlashes and how much damage is done by it).

On some other fights with modifiers, it can be higher. For example, in P1 Heroic Sha of Fear with Lei Shi's 15% haste buff and Bloodlust, we've seen Stormlash totems worth up to 2.8 million damage in 10m.

On Heroic Windlord, where there's a damage modifier, it did roughly 7 million damage.

I can't say for sure what 25mans normally see. I don't remember LFR numbers, and I'm sure they're smaller than you'd expect from a coordinated raid anyway. I suppose you should expect roughly 2.5 times as much. Perhaps slightly more, due to the higher ratio of DPS to Healers/Tanks.
Care to share this addon for those of us who may run different shamans to drop the totem? Does it show when one is down and who dropped it and who has it on CD?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If you're not using it, then you're !@#$ing up.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/19/2013 12:15 AMPosted by Peroration

It's actually 482 DPS. I don't know where the hell you're getting 18k from.

EDIT: Just divided 377,419/20 and got your answer. That is not how you math DPS (At least not sustained DPS, which is what matters outside of real gimmicky situations).

A better way to look at it is dps per execute time.

In his uncoordinated random fight they got 377,419 damage for one global.

In that other shamans situation they re getting about 1.5mi damage for one global. It's an extremely effective and powerful raid cd if used properly
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
A better way to look at it is dps per execute time.

In his uncoordinated random fight they got 377,419 damage for one global.

In that other shamans situation they re getting about 1.5mi damage for one global. It's an extremely effective and powerful raid cd if used properly

It has a high damage per execute time, but the performance still fades over the course of a fight--that's what I was mainly getting at.

It's definitely more when you factor in the whole raid, but individually it's probably about 500 DPS per person (Give or take, more or less depending on certain classes, etc.).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
@Peroration

You have an illogical way of calculating DPS. The fight mentioned was 13 minutes and 43 seconds (approximately). The damage in question for Stormlash was 377,419 total. This was for (2) 10-second durations, or 20 seconds total length. Why would you extrapolate that data over the 823 seconds of the fight to calculate DPS? The damage was contained within the 20-second timeframe, and the DPS of 18K was calculated as burst DPS during that timeframe.

With that logic, you would try to calculate the benefit of Bloodlust as increased DPS burst during the 40-second period by dividing it over the entire fight, rather than just that time period. That makes no sense given the context of what the person conveyed.

You talk about gimmicky dps not being some viable way of calculating dps. Well, given certain situations for certain CD's (like Stomrlash and Bloodlust, and a host of others), I think that timely bursted DPS is crucial for raid success and matters significantly. But, I suppose you consider Bloodlust gimmicky...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]