Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

Community Manager
In the upcoming Patch 5.2: The Thunder King, players using Mac OS X 10.6 will be presented with a message stating that we will no longer support Mac OS X 10.6. During this time, you will be able to continue playing; however, Mac OS X 10.6 will no longer be supported. We recommend Mac users upgrade their systems to Mac OS X 10.7.5 (or newer) as soon as possible.

We are giving players advance notice of this change to ensure Mac users have enough time to update their operating systems in preparation for the release of Patch 5.2: The Thunder King. We will provide an additional update when we no longer provide technical support for Mac OS X 10.6. Mac OS X 10.7 and Mac OS X 10.8 will continue to be fully supported per the recently posted Mac OS Support policy here. For more Mac-related information and help, visit the support site.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Thankfully I'm running 10.8, but 5.2 is expected to hit in as little as two weeks. Hopefully it's a bit more than that, as advance warning that an OS (or architecture, hi Cata!) might be dropped should really be something that's given with 2 months' warning or more.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
02/19/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Azreluna
Thankfully I'm running 10.8, but 5.2 is expected to hit in as little as two weeks. Hopefully it's a bit more than that, as advance warning that an OS (or architecture, hi Cata!) might be dropped should really be something that's given with 2 months' warning or more.

5.2 works on 10.6, it's just a notice that goes out in that patch, not that it's the patch that breaks it. this blue post is merely a forewarning of the meaning behind that message
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I got some additional information from our team regarding this update.

• Players with Mac OS X 10.6 will still be able to patch and play World of Warcraft patch 5.2; however, we are dropping support for that OS and any bugs caused by that OS may not be fixed.
  • We will be unable to assist with technical support issues caused by the use of Mac OS X 10.6. We recommend upgrading to the newest OS to ensure the best compatibility with World of Warcraft patch 5.2.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Alas, it has finally come down to this again. Of course I knew it was gonna happen when they announced pre-MoP that 10.5 wouldn't be functionable anymore but 10.6 was atleast for awhile but not permanently as well. I upgraded to 10.6 during that time but seeing as I'm still running on a machine built in 2006, I cannot upgrade it anymore. This announcement suxs for me but I understand the need with outdated OS's. I agree with the above poster that suggested atleast a 2month potential notice cause maybe ppl could be more prepared as a "greater warning" services on certain OS would not be functionable anymore. They may have a longer window to save to make the investment to another OS or computer. But whatevers, I'm sad it hits me, this tauren druid and I have been through so much since mid-Wrath when i began this journey, it saddens me my guild and rl in-game friends will no longer have this fuzzy feral in the current raiding tier anymore as well.

So long Blizz, so long NorthWatch on Spinebreaker, my Horde Breathren, Lok'tar...
(p.s. maybe I can penny-pinch for a new comp by the time the next expansion is out)

Bye-Bye
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Oh I still got some time left !! /dance party

I missed the above info while i was typing earlier post
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
02/19/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Azreluna
Take a look at the minimum requirements on a Pandaria box. The minimum requirement has been 10.7.4 all along. So advance warning has been since public release of Pandaria xpac.

10.6 has been in so called "soft support" where it isn't officially supported -- but it still runs and Blizzard tries to not make changes that would break the game for them.

Looks like that is going away with 5.2, though. Not only that, but they going to pop up an explicit notice for those still running 10.6 that 10.6 is absolutely not supported anymore and encouraging them to upgrade to 10.7.5 or 10.8.x

In othewords, if patch 5.2 or -any- future patch breaks the game for those people still running 10.6 then that is it. Then game is broken for you and you either have to upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion.

So if you're clinging to 10.6 for dear life over Rosetta support (or anything else) you are officially on notice.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
02/19/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Moogin
(p.s. maybe I can penny-pinch for a new comp by the time the next expansion is out)
Prices were just dropped on certain MacBook Pro models -- this additionally means that refurbished models (which are obviously discounted) are even further discounted.

Might want to take a look and see if there is anything you can afford. (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac)

Mac Mini are $600 -- purchase it thought the education store and you'll get a 10% discount ($60). But, you'll need to provide your own monitor for a Mac Mini.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Oh well, I suppose I will start winding down my wow career. My computer that I play on is managed by an IT team and is stuck at 10.6.8. Its been fun! Maybe I will get a new computer eventually and come back. Thanks!
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Mandrus, though, do remember as has been stated twice by both Daxx and Mack: Patch 5.2 does -not- directly kill your ability to play using 10.6, both are saying that you will still be able to play.

Just that 10.6 is at the end of the road and to make whatever adjustments that are necessary.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
02/19/2013 09:04 PMPosted by Wetoddhid
This is great news actually, I'm assuming it's because Blizzard will finally be updating the OpenGL renderer to the new OpenGL in Lion/ML.

I certainly hope so, 10.6 has been holding all blizzard games back in this regard significantly. One of biggest reasons i hated seeing it supported as long as it was.

So, S4d1k, will we be seeing some opengl 3.2 soon? :)
Edited by Omegal on 2/20/2013 10:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Jeez I've been so confused about this whole "we only support 10.7 and up" thing for the last 5 months. I'm running 10.5 and I NEVER knew until last week that I could have just bought 10.6 months ago and would have been able to play. So I ordered snow leopard from apple and its in the mail and I was very over joyed that I could play WoW again. Now I have to scrape up the 20 bucks to download 10.7. Soon I'll have to scrape up $1,500 to play the next expansion, unbelievable.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/20/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Omegal
This is great news actually, I'm assuming it's because Blizzard will finally be updating the OpenGL renderer to the new OpenGL in Lion/ML.

I certainly hope so, 10.6 has been holding all blizzard games back in this regard significantly. One of biggest reasons i hated seeing it supported as long as it was.

So, S4d1k, will we be seeing some opengl 3.2 soon? :)

As long as it was? Snow Leopard hasn't even been out for four years. The last two expansions killed off support for one OS but this one killed two.

I'm just surprised they aren't supporting an OS that 20% of macs are still running on.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
Rinlen, it's an apple support problem. Apple does NOT update 10.6. not even bugfixes to graphics drivers. Developers can only go so far in supporting old OSes before things break beyond repair. The rapid obsoleting of OSes is because APPLE changed from 2-3 year releases and support to 1 year for their OSes. you can read more about it here on SC2 forums where i explained in more detail

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7415493419?page=2#40

it's distasteful, and crappy. It's also very much out of blizzards control though. They cannot support too many OS versions without sacrificing heavily on the 80% that use the newest. We are already suffering inferior fps probably using older opengl and apis just for 10.6. Then people wonder why mac performance is lower than windows, when windows (regardless of OS) has access to latest and greatest drivers and bugfixes and only the LATEST version from apple does. Maintaining compatibility is a lot more complicated on OS X :\
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I'm bummed out by the news. I run OS 10.6.8. My imac is old, late end 2006 white frame model, but I like it and it's done well for me. Before reading some of the post here I thought this was a Blizzard thing to force upgrade. I don't understand the why's behind things when it comes to computers. All I can say from a layman perspective that I hate how rapid things seem to change. I'm not excited by the new 2012/2013 imacs built slimmer and without a built in optical drive. While that maybe the future, it's not one, as I see and feel, we're ready for. I'm one of those fossil minded people who like hard copies of files and stuff incase you don't have net access.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
02/20/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Omegal
The rapid obsoleting of OSes is because APPLE changed from 2-3 year releases and support to 1 year for their OSes. you can read more about it here on SC2 forums where i explained in more detail

Sadly this is why I will not use Apple Macs. :/ Makes me sad, they were good lil machines when I used them in high school.

/support for the Mac crowd here
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
You can tell by the design of virtually all new Macs, including the MBA, MBP, rMBP, and iMacs that they're designed to be throw away machines. They're nigh impossible to repair, hardly anything user upgradeable past RAM (and in some cases not even that), and prone to massive heat issues. And the next Mac Pro is almost certainly going to be the last, since Apple seems hell bent on killing off its prosumer (like me) and A/V professional user base.

Couple this with an iOS strategy being forced upon a desktop Mac OS and you have a recipe for the end of the desktop computer within about five years at Apple's pace. This would be less problematic if Apple would license OS X for use on most standard PC hardware, but until that happens (it almost certainly never will), this is the continuing situation we get. Next year 10.7 (Lion) users will end up in the same boat, and that will have an even greater impact as a significant amount of Macs in use even by then will be those that cannot upgrade to 10.8 at all. At that point, I expect Blizzard to be stuck with the option of continuing the current cycle or halting progress on the graphics front in its games for the sake of retaining customers on this side.

I do not envy Blizzard one iota in this regard. There will still be players like myself that continue to try to troubleshoot 10.6.8 as long as we can, but aside from us, you're "on your own" if you continue using it.

My next computer purchase will likely end up not being the Mac Pro that I want so much, but a custom PC that can run OS X well. All because Apple can't stop shooting its customers in the legs for being loyal to them.

Apple forgot its roots. It will soon cost them far more than they bargained for.

Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
You can tell by the design of virtually all new Macs, including the MBA, MBP, rMBP, and iMacs that they're designed to be throw away machines. They're nigh impossible to repair, hardly anything user upgradeable past RAM (and in some cases not even that), and prone to massive heat issues. And the next Mac Pro is almost certainly going to be the last, since Apple seems hell bent on killing off its prosumer (like me) and A/V professional user base.

The new iMacs have far better cooling system than the 2011 models. The rest of your points are valid.

I wouldn't give up on the mac pro just yet... At least not until the new model drops.
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Daxxarri
We are giving players advance notice of this change to ensure Mac users have enough time to update their operating systems in preparation for the release of Patch 5.2

Advance notice? 2 weeks notice for a change that will require many players to buy a new computer?

Blizzard is showing their customary display of respect for its customers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]