Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

90 Dwarf Paladin
Give it to me straight, doc. How long do I have? 5.2a? 5.3?

At the absolute maximum you've got until patch 6.0 (whenever that is). But, as you'll be reminded every time you launch WoW now -- you're already dead (jim).

Don't ask for a "cut off date". Instead make whatever arrangements you need to, now. Start saving money now. Start finding out how to migrate off 10.6 now. Look through eBay or Craigs list to find an inexpensive or used computer. Tell your parents. Put it on your birthday list. Buy a ticket for your states Mega Millions lottery.

Post a reply, make a new thread, ask whatever questions you have.

Whatever you do -- do it now.

You are on notice. Don't you dare come back and say you weren't given any warning or not 'enough' warning when the axe finally drops.
Edited by Dwarftude on 3/7/2013 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
If you don't want to upgrade your Mac because you want it or need it to stay locked at 10.6.8 (whatever the reason) or can't upgrade it because its business computer, someone else's computer, or whatever..... Then make sure you put together some solution for the future of your WoW playing ability.

That's all i'm saying.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/05/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Fluffy
So, one day I shall log in and find I can no longer play. I know that no matter what I say or do there will be no real notice. Just a 'hey, in a week or two life will suck for you, deal with it.' Thankfully I have a bootcamp partition running Windows.

I realize you can't move a mountain overnight. That it takes time to figure out how you are going to rectify the situation. So don't ignore this thread and the blue text contained within it. You are being told NOW, in this thread, and again as of my post you will not be able to play in the near future.

Don't wait for patch 5.2A, don't wait for 5.3, or 6.0. Figure out how you are going to deal with this and get it in place -now- so that you don't need to come back here on patch day all agitated and angry that you've been hard locked out.
Edited by Dwarftude on 3/7/2013 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
27 Undead Warlock
This whole updating is confusing to me. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro but I have a 10.6...so can I update it through software update to higher than that or no? I am confused now if I have to pay for it.
Reply Quote
27 Undead Warlock
So never mind..

haha Good buy World of Warcraft...
*hits cancel subscription*
It would be nice if these upgrades were free or cheap since patches are constant. It is bad enough the way pay 15 bucks monthly for the game, pay for the expansions, and then have to pay for the updates our computers require. If anything, we should be able to choose if we want the patch, and just play the game how it is. Against what I say, I will probably end up getting the upgrade on my Mac OS 10.6.8 because I at least want to finish the game. I have never had this much issues when I played vanilla WoW. I came back three times to this game because I enjoyed it, but could not always afford it. And now this bull!@#$. I appreciate WoW warning us about this, but it does not make it any less frustrating. I do not always see these warnings IN MY FACE, and it is not like I browse forums constantly. The warning should have been in the opening screen of WoW, instead of when I reinstalled because of the "servers not connecting." I had to look all over the forums and website to find out it was because I needed to upgrade my Mac.

But that is the end of my rant...
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
So never mind..

haha Good buy World of Warcraft...
*hits cancel subscription*
It would be nice if these upgrades were free or cheap since patches are constant. It is bad enough the way pay 15 bucks monthly for the game, pay for the expansions, and then have to pay for the updates our computers require. If anything, we should be able to choose if we want the patch, and just play the game how it is. Against what I say, I will probably end up getting the upgrade on my Mac OS 10.6.8 because I at least want to finish the game. I have never had this much issues when I played vanilla WoW. I came back three times to this game because I enjoyed it, but could not always afford it. And now this bull!@#$. I appreciate WoW warning us about this, but it does not make it any less frustrating. I do not always see these warnings IN MY FACE, and it is not like I browse forums constantly. The warning should have been in the opening screen of WoW, instead of when I reinstalled because of the "servers not connecting." I had to look all over the forums and website to find out it was because I needed to upgrade my Mac.

But that is the end of my rant...

As has been stated many times so far, the Mists of Pandaria purchase, be it digital or boxed copy, plainly states the minimum system requirements as 10.7.x. 10.6.8 has been "silently" allowed to run so far, but is now showing a warning dialogue box when you launch WoW to remind you that yes, the time is coming when WoW will not run under that operating system version.

Complaining to Blizzard about it won't accomplish anything since their hands are effectively tied. The only way for them to move forward with any of their games' technologies is to limit support to the operating systems that provide the foundation for those technologies to be improved with. That's on Apple for not sticking with a core OS version and updating it to be the best it can be instead of an iOS wannabe that gets scrapped and rebuilt every damned year.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The driving force behind my not "upgrading" is some questionable usability decisions which seem to hinge on a single engineer's vision of the "way forward" (see how "Save As" works as a good example) and if you disagree or have expectations built up since, oh, say, the days of WordStar, you're stupid and wrong and deserve to go sit in the Corner of Shame.

Ties to the theme of "the march towards iOS isn't always the best choice for a lot of us." Artists and other professional media users are hosed by compatibility issues. As a developer and a support person, changes in the basic behavior and the increasing "hey let's hide the filesystem" bandwagon are a logistical and performance nightmare. I appreciate the iPad makes an unimaginable amount of money, but my MBP isn't just a big iPad and you can't decide by fiat to apply aesthetic UI and system architecture decisions to it the same way.

Of course...*gulp*...Apple is terrible at knowing what they're bad at....

You know, these are really my issues.

I'm perfectly happy with how 10.6.8 runs. I'm using an early 2009 MacPro 4,1. It does everything I require. I suppose it is getting a bit long in the tooth these days, but it's never given me any trouble, and new computers just aren't cheap. I don't mind the idea of replacing it should it actually break, because it's worn out. But I do mind the idea of replacing (hardware and software) because some engineer somewhere decides he knows better than me how I want to live my computing life.

If it was just a question of a newer OS, well, I guess that would be okay. But the functionality changes that come as part of 10.8 really annoy me. I know there are some workarounds for things like the "Save As..." function, but it still bugs me.

I suppose I should look into the idea of installing 10.8 on an external drive and seeing how I like it.
Reply Quote
27 Undead Warlock
I apologize that I sounded like a whinny child haha. Yes, it was my own stupidity for not looking, but since it has been working, I did not think to look at that the system requirements because it was never an issue. However, now I know. At the moment, I am playing it with 10.6.8, but I will be upgrading as soon as I can. I will admit, I clearly do not know much about technology. HOwever, it would be nice to have options to WoW game play so we don't need to upgrade every time a new patch comes out.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Complaining to Blizzard about it won't accomplish anything since their hands are effectively tied. The only way for them to move forward with any of their games' technologies is to limit support to the operating systems that provide the foundation for those technologies to be improved with. That's on Apple for not sticking with a core OS version and updating it to be the best it can be instead of an iOS wannabe that gets scrapped and rebuilt every damned year.

Yeah.

It would be good if we could actually update graphics drivers ourselves. Or if we had an updated version of Open GL. Or even get regular graphics drivers updates that drive OS updates.

Instead the Mac team's having to deal with an older Open GL requiring hacks to get the same FPS the windows guys enjoy not to mention all the workarounds they have to do for the older operating systems ....

https://twitter.com/bluspacecow
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/25/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Athôs
We are giving players advance notice of this change to ensure Mac users have enough time to update their operating systems in preparation for the release of Patch 5.2

Advance notice? 2 weeks notice for a change that will require many players to buy a new computer?

Blizzard is showing their customary display of respect for its customers.

If your computer isn't supported for 10.7 or 10.8, there are ways around that. It involves using a Hackintosh build, but you can run it. I won't go into further detail because I don't want to discuss quasi-legal or outright illegal activities.

This isn't like the PowerPC purge that happened at Cataclysm. 10.6 is just unsupported, not completely borked.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
This isn't like the PowerPC purge that happened at Cataclysm. 10.6 is just unsupported, not completely borked.

Don't confuse this announcement for something else, though.

Snow Leopard (10.6) will be completely borked and hard locked out eventually, like Intel based 10.4 and 10.5 Macs. This is not a message of 10.6 is "unsupported" -- its a message of "If you don't figure out a solution for yourself; Then you will be locked out in a future patch."

At most, at maximum you'd have until patch 6.0. But the axe could fall before then.

10.6 has been "unsupported" all of Mists. But make no mistake, the axe is dropping on 10.6 and you will be locked out if you don't figure out a solution.
Edited by Dwarftude on 3/10/2013 8:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
So the thing I find odd that no one has mentioned is the PC support. I fully understand that systems become dated yada yada etc. But the specs say Windows XP, Vista etc etc are still supported. However with Mac we are only going to give you the 2 most recent versions. So should windows not just be windows 7 and 8 then? I mean some of the arguments about the age of 10.6 are kind of funny when compared to Windows. 10.6.8 was released in August 2009. Compare that to XP released in 2001 with SP3 released in 2008 or even Vista which was released in 2007. This is purely a numbers game. There are enough people on ancient PC's that Blizz will support them but not enough on ancient Mac's. That's a legit reason for dropping support but why not just say that instead of the other BS they are giving as a reason.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
So the thing I find odd that no one has mentioned is the PC support. I fully understand that systems become dated yada yada etc. But the specs say Windows XP, Vista etc etc are still supported. However with Mac we are only going to give you the 2 most recent versions. So should windows not just be windows 7 and 8 then? I mean some of the arguments about the age of 10.6 are kind of funny when compared to Windows. 10.6.8 was released in August 2009. Compare that to XP released in 2001 with SP3 released in 2008 or even Vista which was released in 2007. This is purely a numbers game. There are enough people on ancient PC's that Blizz will support them but not enough on ancient Mac's. That's a legit reason for dropping support but why not just say that instead of the other BS they are giving as a reason.

The reason Windows XP is still supported by Blizzard in an active sense is because Microsoft is still actively supporting Windows XP, as are the major graphics card companies (AMD/nVidia/Intel). Windows XP still gets fully vetted updates, and as such, Blizzard can maintain its games on that operating system far more easily than Mac OS X 10.6.8, which has seen no updates other than Java and a couple security fixes in more than two years now. There are no graphics card updates for this operating system anymore. There are no OpenGL enhancements or bugfixes in the pipe - nothing. The operating system is on life support and is being fed by the users that nurture it, but Apple does nothing to keep it going.

So because of that, 10.7.5 is the oldest OS to be supported, and that may well change after the middle of this year too, if Apple sticks to its guns about a yearly OS update cycle to go alongside their iOS line, because once 10.9 ships, 10.7.x will stop receiving updates. At that time, 10.8 becomes the new "bottom of the barrel" OS. That will have a far more reaching impact than losing even 10.6.8 because while most of the Macs in use now can be updated to 10.7, a great many cannot be updated to 10.8 without severe trickery, and that means more problems not able to be anticipated by Blizzard or any other company.

What's complicating this particular transition is the fact that not only does 10.7 not run anything with PowerPC code (PPC), meaning Diablo 2 can no longer run unless Blizzard does one final client app update to a universal binary, but 10.7 also has "features" that put off many users completely, such as lack of Save As..., the Resumes and Versions functionality, and especially the AutoSave feature, none of which are fully defeatable in 10.7 (and in some cases not defeatable at all).

10.8 fixes much of what 10.7 got wrong, but because it was made 64-bit only and many Macs that have 64-bit hardware do not have 64-bit EFI bootloaders, they cannot run 10.8 without the kinds of tricks hackintosh users use to enable their installations. I know this personally - I have 10.8 up and running fully on my Mac Pro 1,1, but I cannot update to 8 GB RAM or more because of the "trickery", which involves a modified EFI.boot file that nobody's been able to get past yet.

I don't use 10.7 because of the aforementioned "features", coupled with the problems associated with eliminating (and you can't do it fully) the mouse acceleration curve, which you can't completely achieve like you can via the Terminal in 10.6 and below. For gamers, that acceleration curve is a dealbreaker.

So I, and Blizzard especially, know very well that this transition is not easy, and is muddied in every way possible thanks to Apple's apathy toward its most loyal customers. There's just not much we can do about it unfortunately.

Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
03/10/2013 06:40 AMPosted by Bluspacecow

Yeah.

It would be good if we could actually update graphics drivers ourselves. Or if we had an updated version of Open GL. Or even get regular graphics drivers updates that drive OS updates.

Instead the Mac team's having to deal with an older Open GL requiring hacks to get the same FPS the windows guys enjoy not to mention all the workarounds they have to do for the older operating systems ....

https://twitter.com/bluspacecow

The only reason they have to resort to 'hacks' is because they choose to support the older operating systems.

Which is why I'm really looking forward to them dropping support for snow leopard.
Edited by Boland on 3/11/2013 4:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
The only reason they have to resort to 'hacks' is because they choose to support the older operating systems.

Which is why I'm really looking forward to them dropping support for snow leopard.

And the only reason they're having to drop Snow Leopard is because Apple is using an iOS strategy for a desktop operating system, despite the fact that people cannot afford to replace desktop equipment that often. They're creating a "throwaway" model for their entire lineup, not just the iOS devices.

This isn't exactly something you should be looking forward to. Had Apple done the operating system strategy properly, we wouldn't be in this predicament at all.

Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The reason Windows XP is still supported by Blizzard in an active sense is because Microsoft is still actively supporting Windows XP, as are the major graphics card companies (AMD/nVidia/Intel). Windows XP still gets fully vetted updates, and as such,

Win XP gets one more year of support. In 2014, MS isn't going to support it anymore. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

And the only reason they're having to drop Snow Leopard is because Apple is using an iOS strategy for a desktop operating system, despite the fact that people cannot afford to replace desktop equipment that often. They're creating a "throwaway" model for their entire lineup, not just the iOS devices.

This isn't exactly something you should be looking forward to. Had Apple done the operating system strategy properly, we wouldn't be in this predicament at all.

But I AM looking forward to it.... I'm not using snow leopard. Even my 2008 macbook runs faster than ever with mountain lion.
Reply Quote
13 Draenei Mage
I find it very odd that Blizzard still supports the 11 year old Windows XP but is dropping support for the 3 year old 10.6 Snow Leopard. Guess I won't be upgrading my starter account after all.
Reply Quote
Ok, so, 10.6 is no longer supported...got it...why do I get an error message EVERY TIME I start my game telling me to upgrade to 10.7.5? I guess 10.7.4 is no longer supported either??

I have a great computer, dual quad core Xeon 3.0ghz with 12gb ram and a 1gb 4890...the issue is its a 2006 Mac Pro and I had to do some trickery to get that 4890 to work in it and that trickery does not like 10.7.5...aka I cant upgrade. As far as I can tell...10.7.4 is still supported so WHY do I get that message??
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
But I AM looking forward to it.... I'm not using snow leopard. Even my 2008 macbook runs faster than ever with mountain lion.

I think you missed my point. The reason we shouldn't be looking forward to this is because of the way Apple continues to force dropping of even recent OS versions by pursuing an iOS yearly strategy. It's fractured Android something fierce. It's starting to fracture iOS device users in the same way. And it doesn't work very well for desktop units that aren't replaced that often. In the end it only promotes problems for nearly everyone in some way or another.

Windows XP may be long in the tooth, but it's a mature operating system. It's been made better and better as time goes by. Apple's OSes never even get that chance, since they're here for a year, then receive only a security update or three, and then a year after that it's dead in the water. It wouldnt' be so bad if Apple's artificial limitations weren't in place, but they are, and as such, the fracturing is made much worse.

When 10.7 becomes "no longer supported", there will be a metric ton more machines that cannot update to 10.8 than those now that cannot update to 10.7. At that point Blizzard will be between a rock and a hard place: Do they continue supporting as many customers as they can, or jettison perfectly viable operating systems because of a failure of a strategy based on throwaway principles and risk losing a great percentage of what little share the Macs make up now?

While it's understandable that technology marches forward and all that good stuff, but Apple's desktop strategy is not the way to do it. At their current pace, none of their desktop lines will exist in five years because consumers cannot afford to continually throw away machines just to have the current (and presumably most secure) operating system out there.

Microsoft has only a couple OSes to support from a span of more than thirteen years. Apple will after another two years be stuck with users that are fractured among five different OSes. That's an IT department's worst nightmare, and is also the customer's worst nightmare. It's a strategy that will cause Apple to continue to lose the market share they fought so hard to gain with their desktop lines, all in the name of their mobile devices.

There's a reason Apple keeps losing talent - those folks are intelligent enough to know Apple is digging itself into its own grave with its ways, customers be damned.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]