Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

20 Blood Elf Paladin
The smart move for Mac users would be to play on 10.6 until it fails, and then wait for 10.9 to be released to get the most bang for your OS buck.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Death Knight
well my mac is at 10.6.8 and it will not let me patch wow i payed for game time and I CAN NOT PLAY WTF!!!!!!!!!!! i am so pissed
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
The smart move for Mac users would be to play on 10.6 until it fails, and then wait for 10.9 to be released to get the most bang for your OS buck.

See my previous post(s) regarding supported Macs that cannot update past 10.7 and what will happen with them next year. ^_^

Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
my experience with this update

cons: such a fkn hassle to update to lion. i havent updated since 10.6 and it took almost have the day to update esp with all the CRAP i have on my mac. plus i shot myself in teh foot for improper planning as well as late updates.

pros: lion was only 20$ =]

i personally think that this is an inside job between apple and blizzard towards their respective account holders and consumers.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
03/11/2013 10:40 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
But I AM looking forward to it.... I'm not using snow leopard. Even my 2008 macbook runs faster than ever with mountain lion.

I think you missed my point. The reason we shouldn't be looking forward to this is because of the way Apple continues to force dropping of even recent OS versions by pursuing an iOS yearly strategy. It's fractured Android something fierce. It's starting to fracture iOS device users in the same way. And it doesn't work very well for desktop units that aren't replaced that often. In the end it only promotes problems for nearly everyone in some way or another.

I understand your point. But it doesn't change how I feel about support for snow leopard being dropped.
Reply Quote
6 Human Warrior
Personally this doesn't affect me too much since I have Windows 7 installed on my Macbook Pro as well. However, I will say that Blizzard is dropping Snow Leopard support way too quickly. I do appreciate that they're slowly phasing it out instead of "BTW PowerPCs won't run WoW in 2 weeks", but the fact is that Blizz is using 10.8's early arrival to bury Snow Leopard too early.

To put it in perspective, 10.3's last major update was in April 2005 and Burning Crusade was released in January 2007, but despite that 10.3 was supported for all of BC (or at least most of it, I upgraded to 10.5 near the end and stopped paying attention). By the time patch 3.0 rolled out, 10.3.9 was over 3 years old.

In comparison, 10.6.8 was released in July 2011. Diablo III came out in May 2012, less than a year afterwards, and didn't support Intel HD 3000 for 10.6 even though it's a graphics card that many Mac users are stuck with. In September 2012, Mists of Pandaria is released and only soft-supports the barely 1-year-old 10.6.8. And then in March 2013, Starcraft and WoW demoted 10.6 to below soft-support even though its still not as old as 10.3.9 was at Burning Crusade's launch.

It's especially insulting since Snow Leopard's predecessor was supported by Blizzard until mid 2012, so apparently 10.6's 2 years worth of advancements were only good for an extra 6 months from Blizzard.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
You're missing the major point here Naacho, which is that Blizzard is unable to both improve their games on the graphics front while simultaneously having to work around bugs that will never be fixed in Snow Leopard because Apple no longer releases any updates outside of Java/Security fixes for that OS.

Apple is the one that chose the yearly OS migration, making many a machine a "throwaway" system. Blizzard can't add new features to its games when it is tethered by graphics drivers that are bug ridden and not updated at all anymore, or an operating system's frameworks that also get no updates (OpenGL specifically).

Had Apple taken the approach where they make one great core OS and add to it over a few years and only then begin a transition to a newer major OS version (like what XP has gone through, though not quite that long), we wouldn't be in this predicament.

But as long as Apple sticks to very short yearly OS migrations and stops making any updates for OSes past the "two latest OS versions" block, this is going to be a continual cycle. Eventually what it's going to do is erode the number of people able to use their Macs for games and such, and ultimately that may end up meaning the end of Mac support altogether down the line for Blizzard as it just won't be worth the trouble to constantly fight against Apple's refusal to stick with a mainstream OS that gets updates for a decent lifespan.

Apple is now all about "buy and throw away". They've got it stuck in their collective heads that what is good for the mobile devices is good for the desktop, and that's proving to be anything but true.

Edited by Tiapriestess on 3/13/2013 3:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
03/11/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
So the thing I find odd that no one has mentioned is the PC support. I fully understand that systems become dated yada yada etc. But the specs say Windows XP, Vista etc etc are still supported. However with Mac we are only going to give you the 2 most recent versions. So should windows not just be windows 7 and 8 then? I mean some of the arguments about the age of 10.6 are kind of funny when compared to Windows. 10.6.8 was released in August 2009. Compare that to XP released in 2001 with SP3 released in 2008 or even Vista which was released in 2007. This is purely a numbers game. There are enough people on ancient PC's that Blizz will support them but not enough on ancient Mac's. That's a legit reason for dropping support but why not just say that instead of the other BS they are giving as a reason.

The reason Windows XP is still supported by Blizzard in an active sense is because Microsoft is still actively supporting Windows XP, as are the major graphics card companies (AMD/nVidia/Intel). Windows XP still gets fully vetted updates, and as such, Blizzard can maintain its games on that operating system far more easily than Mac OS X 10.6.8, which has seen no updates other than Java and a couple security fixes in more than two years now. There are no graphics card updates for this operating system anymore. There are no OpenGL enhancements or bugfixes in the pipe - nothing. The operating system is on life support and is being fed by the users that nurture it, but Apple does nothing to keep it going.

So because of that, 10.7.5 is the oldest OS to be supported, and that may well change after the middle of this year too, if Apple sticks to its guns about a yearly OS update cycle to go alongside their iOS line, because once 10.9 ships, 10.7.x will stop receiving updates. At that time, 10.8 becomes the new "bottom of the barrel" OS. That will have a far more reaching impact than losing even 10.6.8 because while most of the Macs in use now can be updated to 10.7, a great many cannot be updated to 10.8 without severe trickery, and that means more problems not able to be anticipated by Blizzard or any other company.

What's complicating this particular transition is the fact that not only does 10.7 not run anything with PowerPC code (PPC), meaning Diablo 2 can no longer run unless Blizzard does one final client app update to a universal binary, but 10.7 also has "features" that put off many users completely, such as lack of Save As..., the Resumes and Versions functionality, and especially the AutoSave feature, none of which are fully defeatable in 10.7 (and in some cases not defeatable at all).

10.8 fixes much of what 10.7 got wrong, but because it was made 64-bit only and many Macs that have 64-bit hardware do not have 64-bit EFI bootloaders, they cannot run 10.8 without the kinds of tricks hackintosh users use to enable their installations. I know this personally - I have 10.8 up and running fully on my Mac Pro 1,1, but I cannot update to 8 GB RAM or more because of the "trickery", which involves a modified EFI.boot file that nobody's been able to get past yet.

I don't use 10.7 because of the aforementioned "features", coupled with the problems associated with eliminating (and you can't do it fully) the mouse acceleration curve, which you can't completely achieve like you can via the Terminal in 10.6 and below. For gamers, that acceleration curve is a dealbreaker.

So I, and Blizzard especially, know very well that this transition is not easy, and is muddied in every way possible thanks to Apple's apathy toward its most loyal customers. There's just not much we can do about it unfortunately.

You are very mistaken. Microsoft first discontinued Windows XP since they have seen a huge significant jump of people migrating to Windows 7. The reason Microsoft jumped on the bandwagon again for XP is, they were pressured from customers and computer makers.

BUT! Microsoft is going to end support on Windows XP SP3 next year...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

People complaining cause they don't want to go to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard is ABSURD! Mountain Lion requires at least 2GB memory among other things, I'm sure Mountain Lion will run on their Mac. AND DON'T SAY, "My processor doesn't support it." - Because, I'm sure it does. Your Mac is not a PPC (Power PC). If it was than you would be at OS X 10.5 Leopard. The issue is, No one has the money to buy a new OS. But yet, they have $14.99 a month for a game. Funny how this works out...

Macs that will support OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (from their Website):

MacBook Pro – 13″ from mid 2009 or later, 15″ from late 2007 and newer, 17″ from late 2007 and newer
MacBook Air – late 2008 and newer
iMac – models from mid 2007 and newer
MacBook – 13″ aluminum from 2008, 13″ from 2009 and newer
Mac Mini – early 2009 and newer
Mac Pro – early 2008 models and newer
XServe – early 2009 models and newer

I've seen some of you people complaining, and your mac is on this List. So what's the excuse now?

And stop talking about Hackintosh. It works 25% of the time. You need to know how to use the Terminal, and Coding, and also have to switch kext files in the System around in order to make most hardware work. It takes time. Lots of time! And most of the time, the System crashes because of a Kernel Panic. It's only a Hobby.
Edited by Gummibeär on 3/14/2013 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
People complaining cause they don't want to go to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard is ABSURD! Mountain Lion requires at least 2GB memory among other things, I'm sure Mountain Lion will run on their Mac. AND DON'T SAY, "My processor doesn't support it." - Because, I'm sure it does. Your Mac is not a PPC (Power PC). If it was than you would be at OS X 10.5 Leopard. The issue is, No one has the money to buy a new OS. But yet, they have $14.99 a month for a game. Funny how this works out...

You'll note that a fair amount of Macs that have the hardware, but lack the one component that causes ML to not be able to be installed are still in use by players. That component is the 64-bit EFI.

My Mac Pro 1,1 can easily handle WoW even today. I can install Lion, but haven't due to its "features" being undefeatable, which would mangle many of my files or force me to "duplicate and lock" much of what I use for troubleshooting. Not a good thing. ML lets me kill most of these nuiscances, but cannot be installed on my machine normally (it can be installed via trickery, but there are pitfalls associated with that).

There are very legitimate reasons for not updating past 10.6.8 for many users, and a great number of Macs out there cannot use 10.8.x at all. This isn't the same thing as the PPC transition, so you might want to have another look at why people are complaining here. Not that it's Blizzard's fault mind you, but I've already gone over that angle.

And stop talking about Hackintosh. It works 25% of the time. You need to know how to use the Terminal, and Coding, and also have to switch kext files in the System around in order to make most hardware work. It takes time. Lots of time! And most of the time, the System crashes because of a Kernel Panic. It's only a Hobby.

With the new UniBeast installers and the Gigabyte Z77 series UEFI boards, making a hackie is much, much easier than you think. In fact, done properly, since the DSDT is already included in these new installers, the only editing you need to do is if you want or need HDMI audio output from the motherboard, which would only be mandatory if you used the OS X Blu-Ray player software (third party).

The more boards go UEFI, the easier it becomes to build your hackie. And it's a very serious consideration for many of us since Apple's iMacs force us into something we don't usually want or need (the display) with no expandability, and their laptops are a dead end after a couple years tops, especially when you consider the OS strategy they're forcing on us.

Edited by Tiapriestess on 3/14/2013 4:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I find it utterly laughable that WoW requires OSX 10.8 when it's clearly doesn't.

I haven't upgraded beyond Snow Leopard mainly for two reasons:

1. My machine will gain absolutely nothing from the upgrade. It includes features which I will never use and in some cases the features are not even supported by my system.

2. My machine uses some very expensive software that I do not wish to upgrade at this time. Why upgrade and deal with compatibility issues when what you have already works and has been working fine for years? The OS may be $20 but the software that I run costs me $1000 a pop to upgrade... multiply that by 7 apps and you're asking for the world. WoW isn't worth that, no way, no how. If you don't want me as a customer... this is the quickest way to turn me away.

You should be announcing that WoW will no longer be supporting anything but Windows 8 and hear the uproar that starts over that. Not all OSes are worthy of an upgrade to. We all know that. 10.7 and 10.8 are equivalent to Windows 8... a cutesy adventure into cross breeding an iOS with and OS. When they put out a new OS that isn't trying to make facebook and twitter the forefront of the OS, I might consider an upgrade, but right now, it's not being marketed to me, but to the tablet going public. There's nothing portable about my system and thankfully so.
Reply Quote
56 Goblin Priest
I am rather confused. Can someone make clear, in simple terms, what this means? I will still be able to play WoW with the new patch with 10.6.8 but it won't be supported? Will this cause my game to crash or cause problems directly to my MBP? (what are the "technical support issues" or bugs that can't be assisted?) If I can still play but OS X 10.6 won't be supported, what does that mean? All help is appreciated, thanks.

Players with Mac OS X 10.6 will still be able to patch and play World of Warcraft patch 5.2; however, we are dropping support for that OS and any bugs caused by that OS may not be fixed.
We will be unable to assist with technical support issues caused by the use of Mac OS X 10.6.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Simpchimp...

Basically if the game fails to operate for whatever reason and you are running Snow Leopard, they aren't obligated to help you resolve it. No biggy as my system never had any issues with the game to begin with.

My concern is that they may disable the ability to even launch the game if it doesn't detect 10.7 or greater. That's shutting down the game, which is not the same thing as "it won't run".

On a side note, upgrading your OS doesn't guarantee that there won't be any bugs or that the game will run any better, it just means that they are obligated to deal with them as they arise. That's basically it. If the bug can potentially fry your system (extremely unlikely), it still can do so under the new OS. They just want to ignore any bugs related to prior OSes and only focus on those related to 10.7 or greater. At some point they will ignore 10.7, etc.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
03/18/2013 12:15 AMPosted by Simpchimp
I am rather confused. Can someone make clear, in simple terms, what this means? I will still be able to play WoW with the new patch with 10.6.8 but it won't be supported? Will this cause my game to crash or cause problems directly to my MBP? (what are the "technical support issues" or bugs that can't be assisted?) If I can still play but OS X 10.6 won't be supported, what does that mean? All help is appreciated, thanks.

For the time being you can still play WoW, but you will be locked out of the game, eventually. No bugs will be fixed for 10.6 -- As the message says, it's end of the line for 10.6 support. If you ignore the message and do nothing, then you won't be able continue to play WoW.

Just figure out what you will do. They're giving you time to figured that out.

Upgrading your version of OS X will be the cheapest solution. But, if you don't want to do that or can't do that here are some alternate solutions:

1) Setup bootcamp on your iMac. This will let you install Microsoft Windows on your Mac. To play WoW, then you'll shutdown OS X and boot into Windows to play.

If you don't have a Microsoft Windows license, you'll need to purchase one. i.e. You'll need to buy a copy of Windows.

2) Get another compatible computer (Mac or PC). There are always other people looking to replace their own computers with something newer. See if someone would be willing to sell you their old (but -compatible-) computer for a few hundred dollars.

3) Maybe look at your own situation. Could you sell your current Mac and put that money towards a new mac?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I completely agree with Yakatori....

At this point I don't care if it's Blizzard's or Apple's fault. the fact is that right when WoW decides not to lunch in my machine I'm one of the many customers Blizzard will lose. Upgrading the OS is cheap but upgrading the other software I use for work in this machine, costs even more than a new Mac Pro.

Farewell Blizzard.
Reply Quote
51 Human Hunter
I have a Mackbook Pro running 10.6. As others have stated I do not want to update the machine because 10.8 does not run the old mac software. I know that by continuing to run the old OS I can't run the new software because it doesn't have the new features. Not a problem for me. However, there is no legacy version of WoW. If you don't upgrade to the latest version you don't play. That may be the reality of MMORPGs. I would be perfectly happy running the original WoW, but that isn't an option. I long for the days of flint and steel, buying arrows and weapon proficiency anyway.

As for the throw away Mac comments out there: 99.999% of people do not swap processors, graphics cards and the like in their computers. Some hobbyists do, but not enough to make it worth it to a large corporation (thats why hackintoshes were invented as a niche market). You hear the reports on the web and in the news that Apple will fail unless they upgrade everything to be completely different every six months. Blame the consumer market for having a short attention span and getting bored with things so quickly.

Also, keep in perspective that WoW is a game. I use both PCs and Macs at work. It takes me 2 minutes to do on a Mac what may take an hour or more on the PC. For most of the practical computer uses Macs just work. Blizzard is just having to deal with a machine that is not optimized for games. Maybe Blizzard should consider an XBox version.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The more research I do on the subject of trying to update my system (I have what was a top-of-the-line-when-it-launched Mac 1,1 plus several graphic card + memory updates since), the more I'm being driven to think that my next machine is going to be an actual PC. It would require replacing ALL of my software, relearning ALL of my computer skills, swallowing ALL the gaff I'd get from the PC-superioritists... but Apple has gone from having my slavish loyalty (through growing up on Macs as a daughter of a graphic designer and software engineer), to having my brand loyalty, to...

... well, here we are. I have a system that runs everything absolutely amazingly but which WON'T run anything at all within the next year because it has a 32-bit EFI and the newest operating systems choke on it. For the cost of buying a new machine that's even close to my current machine's beefiness, I would need to spend something like $4000, not even including all the money I'm looking at having to spend on periphials and software.

One piece of unchangeable firmware taking a $2000-4000 machine to being a $0 unusable piece of garbage. Thanks, Apple.

(my prior query about methods of turning the warning off still holds, by the way.)
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Xella, if you can get Chameleon working properly, you might be able to use 10.8.x rather well. I need to try it out myself and see if it works for me. I might even get HDMI audio output on my card since one of the packages designed for this install method contains the device info necessary for it.

The article can be found here if you want to give it a go:

http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

Who knows, if Chameleon gets us in that way, the new 7950 card may be a viable option for us.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Advance notice? 2 weeks notice for a change that will require many players to buy a new computer?

Blizzard is showing their customary display of respect for its customers.

...you're trippin sir.. I'm in the same boat...as far as my mac is (allegedly) max'd out at 10.6.8, which I upgraded to as per blizz's "warning" w/ cata xpac..
THIS IS NOT A BLIZZARD SCHEME to coerce po' folk into an expensive upgrade, nor is blizz implementing changes to phase us out. .. it's because Blizzard is a responsible service provider w/soliod customer supp.- they are.. letting folks know that because Apple will be not be providing "updates", as in, 10.6.8 and below will be dropped from apple "medical coverage" SO -we are free to continue playing wow, but if .. my warlock should start showing signs of dimentia.. blizzard sadly cannot commit to round the clock hospice service.. its apple cutting us loose. Its blizzard giving us the heads up - so.. smile and say " thank you, blizzard "
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You are very mistaken. Microsoft first discontinued Windows XP since they have seen a huge significant jump of people migrating to Windows 7. The reason Microsoft jumped on the bandwagon again for XP is, they were pressured from customers and computer makers.

BUT! Microsoft is going to end support on Windows XP SP3 next year...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

fer the love of pete.. 14.99 a mo for a game... the issue is.. youre a TOOL ! gg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]