Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

35 Dwarf Hunter
That is incorrect. Apple has been telling developers to make games in the Universal Binary Format since 2005! Blizzard has still yet to create an installer for Warcraft III that is compatible, even though, the game itself is completely compatible! I have owned every single game Blizzard has made since Rock n' Roll racing, on multiple formats when available, but I am not spending another dime on a Blizzard product because of there complete disregard for their customers, and inability to support them, even though it should be VERY easily accomplished for them. I really want to buy Starcraft, Diablo and get back into WoW, but I will not out of principle, who's to say I spend money on these games, and they won't just decide to just stop supporting... Really sucks. I am a mac and pc user, and I can say without a doubt, that the issue is NOT with Apple, and we do not see this type of problem with ANY other developer on the OS.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Why is Apple itself currently NOT using Universal Binary Format for any of its current programs? Why did Apple itself remove rosetta from 10.7? Universal binaries and Rosetta were transition tools, but now that we're nearly a decade past the initial announcement in 2005 Apple has abandoned it.

Not only have they abandoned PowerPC and Universal binaries, but they abandon system updates of anything but their latest OS. Only releasing security patches for the immediately preceding version.

Sorry, it's not on Blizz.
Edited by Dwarftude on 6/6/2013 8:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
nothing
Edited by Wiimp on 6/12/2013 5:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Troll Mage
Why is Apple itself currently NOT using Universal Binary Format for any of its current programs? Why did Apple itself remove rosetta from 10.7? Universal binaries and Rosetta were transition tools, but now that we're nearly a decade past the initial announcement in 2005 Apple has abandoned it.

Not only have they abandoned PowerPC and Universal binaries, but they abandon system updates of anything but their latest OS. Only releasing security patches for the immediately preceding version.

Sorry, it's not on Blizz.
Actually Apple has always stopped updating the previous version of OSX soon after the a new version of OS X has been released.

And as for security updates, they go back 2 versions of OS X. The most recent security update was available for 10.6 and 10.7 as well as being part of the 10.8.4 update.
Reply Quote
No, not neccroing old posts, thought it useful for an updaqte! 5.4 is about to hit and there's no announcement that SL is being deprecated with that patch, so the supposition it may come w/6.0/next xpac seems even more on the money.

The fact is that I DO continue to run SL and appear to have a WHOLE lot less issues than many asking for help in this forum. At this point, I do not believe that any OS upgrade will run the game any "better" than how it runs for me right now. The "better" comes from the following...

AND for MPro users, there is another good reason to ditch SL... we now have ACTUAL options for better video cards than what we originally got (even if we upgraded to the best they offered when we bought). There is even an officially flashed Nvidia card available that benchmarks ON Macs to be double the speed of that previous "best" card from the fruit (5870). Yes, said Nvidia cards must have 10.8.3 to work. It DOES seem that 5,1 models (which means my machine) may be the ones that can take the best benefits from these Nvidia cards, however.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
09/03/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Brightbrown
No, not neccroing old posts, thought it useful for an updaqte! 5.4 is about to hit and there's no announcement that SL is being deprecated with that patch, so the supposition it may come w/6.0/next xpac seems even more on the money.

Additional historical footnote, as a forewarning, the 4.0.x and the 5.0.x patches, were released many weeks before the announced the "official" launch date. For example, Cataclysm's launch date was December 7, 2010, but the 4.0.x patch was October 12. Mist of Pandaria was launched on September 25, 2012, but patch 5.0.x was August 28.

It is significant to take notice of that. It means that PPC Macs and Intel based Macs running Tiger (10.4) were locked out on October 12 and not December 7. And unupgraded Macs running Leopard (10.5) were locked out on August 28, not September 25.

So make sure you do upgrade, have an upgrade strategy, or a viable alternate compatible Mac / PC (or Bootcamp solution) before whatever the next xpac launch date is.

Because if Blizzard does lockout Snow Leopard (10.6) in the next xpac -- it will very likely be when patch 6.0.x is released, not launch day!

09/03/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Brightbrown
The fact is that I DO continue to run SL and appear to have a WHOLE lot less issues than many asking for help in this forum. At this point, I do not believe that any OS upgrade will run the game any "better" than how it runs for me right now. The "better" comes from the following...

Using this forum as tape measure is rather skewed, though. That is, players that do not have any problems won't typically post here to say, "Everything works perfectly fine for me!" Moreover, there should be much less people reporting problems with 10.6 because they should be moving off of it!

By all means, take the dive now, so you can resolve any problems now! (before you become frustrated by finding out you are hard locked out one day)

That said, as a system admin, I can full well agree with you that you "don't fix what isn't broken" so I understand where you are coming from.
Edited by Dwarftude on 9/3/2013 2:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ah, you DO make a very good point... 5.0 DID hit before MoP launched.

And yes, that 10/12 date hit me barely 2 weeks into starting to play... at least Blizz gave me back my lost paid time when I got an Intel machine (even though it was almost 6 months later).

What is dragging me is I think it really is the first time in almost 2 decades to totally go back to scratch. I have to have some defunct kexts in there from hardware I used 8 years ago! I am finding that these days, I run under half a dozen apps, whereas when I was in my prime, I had dozens and dozens (most of those sit unused and unable to run anyway).
Reply Quote
Tiapriestess or Bluespacecow, aren't one of you running a Mac Pro 1.1?
Reply Quote
can i still play the new x pac when it comes out i have a 10.6.8
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
11/23/2013 10:56 PMPosted by Gødzfirez
Tiapriestess or Bluespacecow, aren't one of you running a Mac Pro 1.1?

I do have a Mac Pro 1,1, yes. What can I help you with?
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Warrior
I logged in yesterday and everything was fine, then today i tried to log in after maintenance and the patch update, and wow wont even open at all. I am running OS X 10.7.5 and thought that my OS was still supported... Any advice would be awesome..cause I cant play right now..
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Did you not read the sticky, or the 5 other threads on this exact topic?
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
02/18/2014 08:13 PMPosted by Warrtorn
I logged in yesterday and everything was fine, then today i tried to log in after maintenance and the patch update, and wow wont even open at all. I am running OS X 10.7.5 and thought that my OS was still supported... Any advice would be awesome..cause I cant play right now..
You need to visit the Mac App store on your Mac and download the free Mac OS update. Please click on and follow the information in this forum post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10312101288

It contains all the information that you need. If you have any questions, please ask in that thread.

---- background information below ----

As the original post in this thread states, back in February of 2013 it was announced that support for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) was finished and that at some future date WoW would stop running all together (would not launch) if you did not upgrade your Mac OS. Patch 5.2, Patch 5.3, and Patch 5.4 all included, before you could even launch WoW, a non-disableable pop-up warning message that required you to click "ok", acknowledging such.

If you can not launch World of Warcraft -- this would be the reason why.

However, by your own post, you state you are running 10.7.5. Therefore you should be able to launch WoW, as long as you acknowledge the pop up message. Again, though, it would be best that you download the free Mac OS update from the Mac App store.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]