getting an '09 imac, anything to watch for?

90 Orc Death Knight
hello there, i am getting an imac from a friend sometime soon and i was wondering how it will run world of warcraft. it is a 2009 imac and has an nvidia graphics card in it. anything to look out for or be aware of?
thanks for the help
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Do you know which graphics card/chipset? You will want to get a model that suits you. I'll provide you with what information I do know about these models.

There seem to be two models:
  • Early 2009 iMac w/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
  • Late 2009 iMac w/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Looking at these options, they seem the same. Just to let you know, the 9400M chipset is borderline meeting system specs for most of our games. This card is good for everyday use, but if you're looking for good/great gaming performance; then you might want to look for a newer Mac, or a 2009 model that has an ATI graphics card such as 4670/4850, or even just a newer model one. The 9400M chipset has low shader support, so while you can play; you'll be stuck on lower graphic settings.

Oh and there is a known issue with 9400M chipsets based Macs and USB headsets. If you use both together, then gaming performance is lowered by almost 50%.
Edited by Machkhan on 2/20/2013 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
thank you :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]