About dk's

100 Orc Warlock
I like dks. I love them. Now going to offer my opinion on some things i think need discussion for.

In wrath the meta was different back then for arena. Skill actually mattered. So unholy was better then frost.

Not saying frost doesn't take much skill, or takes too much skill, it's just with frost you don't have a lot of room for your skill to bring the spec up to a victory. So yea it's kind of hard to win with frost because it's lack of utility prevents you from using your skill to carry the spec to victory.

The warlock is just mad, because dks are effective against casters classes to a degree.

Also the meta for mist of pandaria has changed. In arena, the meta is fast paced, pop all coldowns and burst fast type of play style. There is no room for thinking, or using ultility when burst 1st and not die is the way of the meta.

Dks are a solid class because their resources are on an infinite, but short coldown mechanic, and they have the skills that really matter like dps, burst, cc, healing, defensive coldowns. Not roleplaying !@#$ like water walking, or utility stuff like healthstones or summoning portal.

Dks are strong combatants, just that the meta doesn't really favor any strategy.

Hope that helps.

Helps a lot. Guess people don't actually read and just see the title. Thanks for the help man. If people read they would know im not defending Frost. Just trying to get across that the high horse of thinking they are good because they don't play dk is a little funny.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I know, right? I should def level that DK up.

Well seeing as you use to play Dk and achievements are account wide, but still no ach over 1500 i'd have to say you still didn't do well on him either.

Those were wrath of the world pvp days. Very good times with the DK out in Storm Peaks.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
02/20/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Reverator

Well seeing as you use to play Dk and achievements are account wide, but still no ach over 1500 i'd have to say you still didn't do well on him either.

Those were wrath of the world pvp days. Very good times with the DK out in Storm Peaks.

Wrath is the only time i actually played my dk in 3's, season 8 has to be my favorite season of all time. Unholy will always be the best.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Frost DK's are probably the easiest class in the game to play, the reason you don't see too many succeeding is because there is simply not much you can do with them, their skill cap is absurdly low. Glad players can play better than a DK can be played, so they play something else. Also, they are not a top-tier class.

All of their damage revolves around 3ish attacks.

Their damage requires no set up

They are a tunneling melee class.

They have almost no CC to worry about using.

They have very few cool downs to worry about rotating.

The difference between a good frost DK and a bad frost DK are his teammates, plain and simple. The only hard thing about playing a DK is surviving, and even then there isn't much skill involved because you have so few cooldowns to use and most of your life depends on peel and heals from others. There's very little you can do or not do as a FROST DK.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Death strike to victoray! (back when it was stupid OP healing)
I actually want to play my dk again now. Trying to decide between warlock, mage and dk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Why not 1v4 with unholy? Gargoyle, that reset everything to death runes ability.. RP dump with death coils. It was great.

Deathgripping mounted people to the ground, CoI, burst, gnaw, dead. Almost as much fun as killing people in the air with levitate before they made the corpses start falling to the ground. Bliz ruins everything. :(
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
02/20/2013 04:11 PMPosted by Autograph
because dks are a scum ,brainless, 3 button class, try something new for once and learn the real meaning of skill (if there is any left in this game)

Let's see...

Howling Blast. Chains of Ice. Frost Strike. Obliterate. Death Grip. Anti-magic shell. Blood Presence. Frost Presence (gotta switch back to it SOMETIMES). Summon Ghoul/Death Pact (either a macro or separate buttons). Lichborne macro. Icebound Fortitude. Outbreak. Unholy Blight. Icy Touch (with glyph). Horn of Winter. Pillar of Frost/Trinket macro. Plague Strike, just in case. Death and Decay. Necrotic Strike. Strangulate. Death Strike (not 100% necessary - but useful). Remorseless Winter (for Random BGs), or Desecrated Ground (for Arenas), or Gorefiend's Grasp (for RBG kill set-ups, or so people tell me). Empower Runic Weapon. Dark Simulacrum (you really want to know how to time this properly). Soul Reaper, if you're feeling sassy.

Okay, so, I am a pretty crappy DK. I admit it openly. So help me trim down these buttons to the three correct ones.

Is it Outbreak, Obliterate, and Pillar of Frost? I feel like that combo is missing something. You'd want to throw in a Strangulate, maybe. Or maybe Empower Runic Weapon? That's going to generate a lot of runic power, but, like, I only get to use three buttons. So how do I get rid of that stuff!? Or maybe a chains of ice. Or some kind of defensive ability.

I mean, maybe if you're attacking a Training Dummy or someone who fights like a training dummy, sure. But maybe the person will move a little, or hit back?

Maybe it's Blood Presence, Obliterate, Frost Strike? You kind of need Blood Presence. That's the Presence Ghostcrawler says we should use. But there's no disease button in there!

I kind of think Death Grip should be in there somewhere. You know? I think we use that. Maybe it's Death Grip, Outbreak, Obliterate? Those darn DKs - just death-grip and Obliterate.

Except - what about AMS? Howling Blast, AMS, Frost Strike? I'm pretty sure it's AMS that makes us overpowered. Right?

But, wait, DKs this season swear by Dark Sim timing and the Icy Touch glyph. Dark Simulacrum, Icy Touch, Frost Strike?

I'm kind of thinking I'd be reeeeally missing out if I stopped using Horn of Winter, but I just don't think the other two buttons will be enough then.
Edited by Sylassanna on 2/20/2013 7:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Play what you enjoy and don't pay much attention to the venomous nose goblins of the forums. Nothing you ever play will meet with their approval.
Reply Quote
1 Human Monk
i swear ballerxoxo and autograph is the same idiot, you can tell
Reply Quote
First subject matter is i always run into forums talking about how dk's are stupid or easy to play, some people even say brainless. To back up these statements people say that dk's only have 2 buttons, or dks can tunnel someone to the ground. Things like that. basically saying anyone can play a dk and win everything.

I am not here to fully defend everything dk's can do, but i am here to ask why and how people think this ?

Dks aren't stupid and easy to play, just frost :p pretty much obliterate and howling blast... unholy takes alot of skill tho
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/20/2013 04:11 PMPosted by Autograph
because dks are a scum ,brainless, 3 button class, try something new for once and learn the real meaning of skill (if there is any left in this game)

It seems you missed that last CATA season, reason you stayed at lvl 85, i guess because rogues were OP !@#$%^-s of the game and most of them were scums and brainless 4 button skilles players.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
02/21/2013 07:01 AMPosted by Cherep

It seems you missed that last CATA season, reason you stayed at lvl 85, i guess because rogues were OP !@#$%^-s of the game and most of them were scums and brainless 4 button skilles players.

recup
hemo
kidneyshot
evis

damit your right.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Reason for Frost DK hatred: Everybody hates losing to a lesser player. Frost DK is the spec that I think does the best job of enabling lesser players to defeat better players. With chillblains everything you touch gets 50% move speed and obliterates hit very high, even without a ton of gear. Frost isn't the 'only' spec like that though. Like someone earlier mentioned, Frost has a very low skill floor, and i'd say warrior and hunter are just as bad in that department (even if their skill ceilings are different).

Most important point, imo: wow pvp success is determined by comp>gear>skill, so if a frost dk fits the comp, then that's what a good player will play. We all know it's easy to deal damage on an arcane mage, but if it fit your comp, then that's what a good player would play. It's not really about how easy the spec is to play, but how it fills the gaps it's teammates don't cover. If a team needs slows and burst, Frost DK is an option.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
5.2 conversion is nuts. Dk's are going to be really good.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Hi there. This will be a post about a couple of things about dk's. I browse the forums on a daily basis and i don't ever post. So i decided to post something. This is pure out of being curious because i sometimes get confused on how people think this way and they never really give a full explanation besides 5 word sentences with almost no back up. As a person who plays a dk among other classes i want to know why people think this. So here we go.

You said you wanted legitimate answers or discussion but you're just discounting everything people say. It's kind of difficult to provide full, fact based arguments on a topic that is subjective. There are no numbers we have access to or statistics that are going to say that one class is simpler than another.

Anyway, for DKs...

1. Most of their damage comes from a small number of abilities.
2. They have arguably the best PvP DPS in the game.
3. They don't have a whole lot of abilities they really need to use strategically at all. They just bring more damage instead.
4. They used to be overpowered. This certainly sticks in peoples' minds.

Also... I really think that KFC is the only reason DKs aren't more plentiful on the ladder. KFC takes up both of the best comps for DKs AND directly counters them.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I've decided I'm going to level this DK alt to 90 as my "blow off a little steam" toon. When I get frustrated with the state of the game on my regular toons, I'll log onto this one.

I'll spec frost, go dual wield for howling blast spam galore, and I probably won't even frost strike on KM procs out of general principle. One button should be enough to top charts. The big HB button.

I may even make a huge howling blast icon filling half my screen I can click again and again.

I'll enjoy the richly deserved 3% health/second I get from conversion.

I should get it out of my system after a bg or two and I can go back to my real toons.
Edited by Dhirken on 2/21/2013 8:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]