Spectral Guise is a piece of crap

100 Undead Priest
NMB
1. Breaks if you have a DoT on you. (Just about all classes apply a DoT of some sort)

2. Breaks from AoE.

3. Breaks from pets, as pets just ignore it and continue to target you. (Known bug)

4. Its only reliable function is to get untargeted for a split second, much like Hunter's Feign Death. That's nice, but not at the cost of a talent slot. It is noted that Feign Death is baseline for hunters.

Spectral Guise should just work off the Rogue Vanish mechanic to fix these issues. Easy fix Blizzard. (Took Blizzard 7 years to get Vanish right so why re-invent the wheel)
Edited by Niks on 2/13/2013 11:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/13/2013 11:29 PMPosted by Niks
1. Breaks if you have a DoT on you. (Just about all classes apply a DoT of some sort

what is the class or spec that does not have a dot ?

spectral guise is terrible.

please revert phantasm before its too late
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 11:29 PMPosted by Niks
Its only reliable function is to get untargeted for a split second, much like Hunter's Feign Death. That's nice, but not at the cost of a talent slot. It is noted that Feign Death is baseline for hunters.

I thought of a good idea, make Spectral Guise a baseline ability and replace it with a new talent one called "Void Pact" or something. Which allows you to use Void Shift on your Shadowfiend/Mindbender (for a massive self-heal). I know it is sort of a rip off of the Death Knight's Death Pact. Since Void Shift has a 6 minute cooldown it seems reasonable to allow Priests to use Void Shift on their pet.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Spectral Guise: A garbage talent that doesn't work.

Perhaps it was designed to work the way it says it does; maybe what is says is what it is intended to do.

Regardless, with Ghostcrawler nerfing SP's, the failure to address a talent that is broke is just unseen way Ghostcrawler can nerf the SP without anyone knowing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The problem is that we were using it as an escape / preventative measure / reactionary ability. I think they wanted it to be more proactive, like using it in the area to gain position.

It's definitely been something that was amazing (use while in certain CCs) to something that was OK, to something that just isn't as awesome as it used to be.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think it's more of a PvE niche spell than a PvP one. Spectral Guise allows you to have some temporary stealth skills to avoid certain trash packs, for Challenge modes or under-manning Heroics. Hunters, Rogues, Druids, and Mages all have this minor utility ability, I think it should just be made baseline so when those minor occasions arrive you'll be able to utilize it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
its a useless ability now
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I am still gonna take it to replace my fade as an opener.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
02/13/2013 11:44 PMPosted by Venicide
1. Breaks if you have a DoT on you. (Just about all classes apply a DoT of some sort

what is the class or spec that does not have a dot ?

spectral guise is terrible.

please revert phantasm before its too late

i agreee
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
TnC
Spectral guise is the most useful talent on the tier for pvp. If you have dots on urself just bubble then sg.... You wont get pulled out for a few seconds and its a nice way to interrupt spell casting. As far as the pet staying on u in stealth thing thats just an anoying, bug but ive noticed if u fade to drop threat and then sg they wont chase you.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
NMB
02/16/2013 03:21 AMPosted by Shiftonyòu
Spectral guise is the most useful talent on the tier for pvp. If you have dots on urself just bubble then sg.... You wont get pulled out for a few seconds and its a nice way to interrupt spell casting. As far as the pet staying on u in stealth thing thats just an anoying, bug but ive noticed if u fade to drop threat and then sg they wont chase you.

That actually demonstrates how crap it is. You need to blow and shield and Fade to make it work properly. One ability for the price of three.
Edited by Niks on 2/16/2013 6:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Just roll a warlock. They can do everything shades can do only far superior in every way...
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Perhaps it was designed to work the way it says it does; maybe what is says is what it is intended to do.

Blizzard has no idea. They released it onto live with the secondary benefit of breaking the caster out of stuns. Blizzard had no idea until the feedback was so outrageous they had to hotfix it.

What makes you think they have any idea how it works now? You're assuming they put a lot more work into it than they actually do, I think.
Reply Quote
02/16/2013 01:35 AMPosted by Dreamskull
I am still gonna take it to replace my fade as an opener.

Why waste a fade on the opener? spectral guise is perfect for that.. and then you fade after you get a MB off to cast your VT. Spectral Guise is very useful. You just have to be careful when using it. I like to combo it with void tendrils.. right as the tendrils are about to break.. use SG to get yet another cast off.

Also good for getting healers out of LoS when pillar hugging. Use SG and lurk around the pillar into a fear.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
It's awesome to help fear rdruids and hpallies in arena. Otherwise they just run, and my Gnomish legs can't keep up! :0
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Oh yeah, it's the forums. I'm obliged to say "ltp nube!"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Blizzard has no idea. They released it onto live with the secondary benefit of breaking the caster out of stuns. Blizzard had no idea until the feedback was so outrageous they had to hotfix it.

What makes you think they have any idea how it works now? You're assuming they put a lot more work into it than they actually do, I think.

There is no effective way to test PvP abilities on PTR because a very small fraction of the testers on PTR actual PvP and a very small fraction of the community actually goes onto PTR to test things anyway.
Reply Quote
Spectral Guise has very limited use. In PvE I could say that's it's only beneficial use for sneaking passed mobs, and dropping target for a few seconds is nice, I guess. But to a PvP stand poiont. IT's to drop target for a mere few seconds. You can't cast anything without breaking it. and that is a big no no for any kind of Arena. To gain distance, or small bit there of, is nice. But besides such a pathetic talent, there is no real benefit from it.
Reply Quote
31 Tauren Paladin
02/17/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Kinria
IT's to drop target for a mere few seconds

Will they nerf it then? Because they said Phantasm was op because it dropped target from ranged for a few seconds ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Spectral Guise was great, for a while...
It was good while you could use it in a cc, wasnt that op btw.
Just saying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]