A 'Peak of Serenity' for the other classes

Not sure if any of you have played a Monk so far, but they've got this awesome thing called "Zen Pilgrimage" that takes them to a special monk training ground. There they do a daily quest which scores them a 20% experience buff for one hour but only if they use their monk abilities to defeat another student.

Quite clearly I think this is a brilliant idea. It takes alot of the grind out of leveling, encourages some degree of play moderation, but mostly it rewards players for learning the finer points of playing the monk class. Now, I haven't played my monk up very far, so I'm not sure if it slacks off, gets less impressive with time, or if they fail to continue updating the training mobs to account for your new level and new suite of abilities, and if that's the case it should be fixed. I think this is such a brilliant idea, that I want to hear your ideas about how to add a "zen pilgrimage" equivalent to your own class. There are no wrong answers.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
The problem is that not every race/class combo has the same lore. Why would a troll priest, night elf priest, and human priest all go to the same location for training?
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Lena
The problem is that not every race/class combo has the same lore. Why would a troll priest, night elf priest, and human priest all go to the same location for training?

Yeah, that is problematic. It would have to be a neutral faction, possibly an argent dawn tie-in maybe?

Or, the principle can stay the same but we can do it via race. Send all trolls to the same place, have them battle a generic looking troll of their same class in some way that strongly encourages them to use a level appropriate ability.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I'd personally love something similar, but it should be confined to the home city, and every race should get their own Home City.

People of other races, but same class can enter each others area but you don't get as much out of it except being able to just see how it looks. If it's your home city you could get class quest and meet masters of your race/class and this could lead into obtaining class titles or something.

I think every class should have one except obviously Death Knights and Monks, but possibly Warlocks since every race of Warlock usually revolves around the same type of lore. Warlocks could get a portal ability like DK to go to some protected place in the Twisting Nether.
Reply Quote
I'd personally love something similar, but it should be confined to the home city, and every race should get their own Home City.

People of other races, but same class can enter each others area but you don't get as much out of it except being able to just see how it looks. If it's your home city you could get class quest and meet masters of your race/class and this could lead into obtaining class titles or something.

I think every class should have one except obviously Death Knights and Monks, but possibly Warlocks since every race of Warlock usually revolves around the same type of lore. Warlocks could get a portal ability like DK to go to some protected place in the Twisting Nether.

Well, one of the biggest conveniences with it is getting to teleport straight to your training zone, and teleport back to where you started.

If we do it by classes, some classes will be easy, Shamans can "astral recall" to the Earthen Ring, Druids can already portal to Moonglade, and Deathknights can go to Archaerus, but others, like warriors, rogues, priests, even Paladins would be very difficult.

I think a hodgepodge of some classes having a neutral training ground and some classes having a shared 'city specific' training ground with the others of their race would be best.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Peak of Serenity is essentially class specific quests returned, just for one class.

It would be amazing if every class had something similar, but more problematic as unlike Monks the other classes are more diverse within their race/class combos.

In Blizzard terms, "not enough bang for their buck" as they so often like to throw around.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 2/17/2013 12:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Peak of Serenity is essentially class specific quests returned, just for one class.

It would be amazing if every class had something similar, but more problematic as unlike Monks the other classes are more diverse within their race/class combos.

In Blizzard terms, "not enough bang for their buck" as they so often like to throw around.

If they're going to bring back class quests they should be more like the warlock quest. Monk quests are alright, but they're nothing special.
Reply Quote

I dunno, the end results of the Peak of Serenity quest is a smoother/faster leveling experience, less chance of getting burnt out before reaching end game, and more incentive to make and level an alt when you get bored, rather than unsubscribing. This could get pretty bangy.
Reply Quote
73 Tauren Monk
For hunters I could see some sort of Nesingwary camp, and the quests would be to go on some sort of beast hunt.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
We warlocks were going to get one, but they scrapped it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Warriors...first!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
If we do it by classes, some classes will be easy, Shamans can "astral recall" to the Earthen Ring, Druids can already portal to Moonglade, and Deathknights can go to Archaerus, but others, like warriors, rogues, priests, even Paladins would be very difficult.

I think a hodgepodge of some classes having a neutral training ground and some classes having a shared 'city specific' training ground with the others of their race would be best.

i can agree with that. I can see how getting to those places would be an issue tho9ugh. Warriors, rogues, priests and paladins don't have any teleporting type of power like druids, monks, mages and shaman do.
Reply Quote
Just bring back Fray Island and the Cyclonian quests and I'll be happy.

"Hey, only a handful of player see race and class quests so lets get rid of them or make everyone able to do them."
"Seems legit."
"Ok now let's give the Monks their own area that no one else can do anything with and give them quests."
"Brilliant!"
Blizzard Logic.

Well, in their defense. Every monk sees Peak of Serenity, horde or alliance, and making class exclusive content was the least important thing about Peak of Serenity. Only Blood Elf Paladins ever saw the Belf Paladin quests.

02/17/2013 02:22 PMPosted by Kynrind
i can agree with that. I can see how getting to those places would be an issue tho9ugh. Warriors, rogues, priests and paladins don't have any teleporting type of power like druids, monks, mages and shaman do.

That's the thing I'd worry about least, it can be explained away with a magic item. Rogues get given a 'blackened hearth stone' priests/paladins get given a 'sanctified hearthstone' warriors get given a 'battered hearthstone' and so on as needed. It wouldn't be an item but would be a power that represents having access to an item, like poisons. That icon looks like a modified hearthstone and the animation would be the same as hearthing with an appropriate recolor.

No, the concern isn't how they get there, it's where they go. I suppose every alliance Rogue could be getting some training in a dark room in SI:7, but the horde doesn't currently have a 'sneaky rogue faction' not since we lost our roof trolls.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The Shattered Hand was supposedly the Horde version of SI:7. Lately though they haven't done much. I don't think a secret version of the Kor Kron would work either.
Edited by Kynrind on 2/17/2013 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 03:13 PMPosted by Kynrind
The Shattered Hand was supposedly the Horde version of SI:7. Lately though they haven't done much. I don't think a secret version of the Kor Kron would work either.

Hadn't heard of them. Fair enough, horde rogues get a blood splattered hearthstone with a crudely drawn hand, or maybe just part of a crudely drawn hand.

The more I think about this, the more it seems that classes that can't be trained by neutral groups shouldn't have much problem being trained by a single faction specific groups. No need to divide by race at all. Except maybe for priests. Troll Priests, Forsaken Priests, Belf Priests and Goblin Priests all come from very different ideologies.
Edited by Dorcy on 2/17/2013 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Except maybe for priests. Troll Priests, Forsaken Priests, Belf Priests and Goblin Priests all come from very different ideologies.
Trolls, Tauren (maybe? Sunwalkers are conventional Light Paladins by a different name so maybe Seers are as well) and Night Elves are really the only odd ones out.

Ideologies may differ somewhat but the most important thing is that the forces they're using are compatible enough with each other that learning and teaching can conceivably take place. Obviously you can't teach a Mage how to cast better by getting a Warrior to make him lift weights, and you can't teach a Loa Priest who works off subordination to rather vengeful deities in exchange for power that he can get better results just by believing as hard as a Priest of the Holy Light.

For the majority, there's the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow. Forsaken-founded, but not Forsaken-exclusive and increasingly less Forsaken-dominated. Preaches balance between the forces of Light and Darkness. Secretive and considered heretical, giving justification for a hidden, exclusive area. Also a good opportunity for some flavor lore that the Cult currently lacks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
i don't feel this is necessary or even appropriate for warriors.

Fray Island was dumb. There's no reason a warrior shouldn't be able to get all the training he needs in his people's capital.

Warlock class specific quests were cool because they supported the idea of needing to travel to uncover forbidden knowledge.

What a monk gets at Peak of Serenity is a class perk. If everyone gets it, it's no longer a perk.
Reply Quote
i don't feel this is necessary or even appropriate for warriors.

Fray Island was dumb. There's no reason a warrior shouldn't be able to get all the training he needs in his people's capital.

Okay, your complaint is well off base from the way Peak of Serenity actually works that I feel the need to explain. If you just made a dramatic intuitive leap and expected me to be able to follow, I apologize in advance.

Peak of Serenity doesn't train character abilities. Sure, they have trainers there, but Monks, like all classes, learn their abilities as they level without visiting a trainer. Peak of Serenity allows monks, who were all new characters, to get a 20% experience buff AND it trained those players in the use of their class ability. This allowed the players to advance their new characters quicker, which was nice since the level cap has gone up a bit since I started playing, and made sure those players were aware of and comfortable with their various class abilities.

Basically Peak of Serenity is a "tutorial experiment" that I heartily approve of.

What a monk gets at Peak of Serenity is a class perk. If everyone gets it, it's no longer a perk.

I agree, tutorials should not be a perk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]