Blood Magic: What do we know?

90 Human Mage
At least as early as the Cataclysm, a new(ish) series of quests was brought out that had Alliance players dealing with a gnomish blood mage (Kasim Sharim / http://www.wowhead.com/npc=42298) in the Blasted Lands. Likewise, the Horde works with a pair of blood elves that're also adept in the ways of blood magic. Yet, despite that, as far as I remember we get next to no info beyond that; the only solid confirmation I recall was that blood mages don't drink/consume blood to sustain themselves.

My question is such: Just what the heck do we know about this kind of magic? I'm aware there was a Blood Mage hero unit in WC3, but it seems odd to me that something that seems to have so much potential barely gets any mention in WoW's lore.

However, given the mentions of demonic energy on the Blood mage page of Wowpedia, I'm wondering if Blood mages are really just highly specialized warlocks, considering the implied use of the warlock's own blood in some of their abilities, like Health Funnel and Life Tap. Yet, so far as I'm aware, the blood mages that we've seen haven't been depicted with demonic minions.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
There's also blood magic that involves actual blood drinking in Zul'Farrak.

Don't know if it's connected but there it is.
Reply Quote
Fourth mage spec, they tank.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Blood mage. :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
There's also blood magic that involves actual blood drinking in Zul'Farrak.

Don't know if it's connected but there it is.

Granted, though, in that case I think it may be due to them having a not-insignificant amount of mummified members to upkeep. Then again, thinking of it a bit more, I just remembered that there are some Blood-drinker mobs that don't have any apparent signs of being undead.

So... Potentially it's just some sort of facet of their culture? *shrug*

02/17/2013 09:46 AMPosted by Dorcy
Fourth mage spec, they tank.

Nah, we need more (ready: ANY) healing first. :P
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Marriama
Nah, we need more (ready: ANY) healing first. :P

Bah, clothy healing has been done to death. The real cool is in clothy tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
They should make all classes hybrids now.

Give mages a healing tree, warlocks a tanking tree, rogues a tanking tree.

Hunters should probably get a healing tree, because pet tanking will never be great.
Reply Quote
They should make all classes hybrids now.

Give mages a healing tree, warlocks a tanking tree, rogues a tanking tree.

Hunters should probably get a healing tree, because pet tanking will never be great.

If pet tanking isn't what you're going for, how do you get a warlock tanking tree?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/17/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Dorcy
If pet tanking isn't what you're going for, how do you get a warlock tanking tree?

Demon Form.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 10:37 AMPosted by Arkturas

Demon Form.

Ah, okay.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
It's probably one aspect of Warlock-y spells. The kind of spell that uses and manipulates 'life force' or something. Considering the Blood Mage on Blasted Lands, just seems to use blood as reagent.

02/17/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Arkturas

Well, their tanking spec could be a mount spec. Knights in WC3 were the 'tanky' units. Obviously, not the same type of mount, but like a stance or mode inside the class itself. The Hunter loses the pet and get into a form that merges both HPs, increases defense and threat, while reducing range and damage a bit. They could have two auto-atks, a melee one from the pet and another for ranged.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Warrior
Well it seems that the blood magic that you referring to is a blood elf thing, now blood magic hasn't exactly been given much lore. I would imagine blood magic was brought into the blood elven culture shortly after the whole scourge thing.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
I wonder how the kind of Blood Magic you're referring to would tie in with the Death Knight Blood Magic? I'm kind of feeling it's the same base, just without the undead infulence.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Blood mages were warlock-mages before Cataclysm, where those guys in the Blasted Lands made it different before never bringing it up again.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 09:32 PMPosted by Rufyn
Well it seems that the blood magic that you referring to is a blood elf thing, now blood magic hasn't exactly been given much lore. I would imagine blood magic was brought into the blood elven culture shortly after the whole scourge thing.

Why would it be blood elf only if gnomes use it and its familiar to Demon Hunters?

I'm fairly certain that its related to Fel magic more than Arcane. It's probably similar in form to a Blood DK's blood boil in nature in that it is the control of it rather than the creation.

Kael'Thalas was a Blood mage that's why.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/17/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Osiria
Hunter loses the pet and get into a form that merges both HPs, increases defense and threat, while reducing range and damage a bit.

Squig Herders in Doorhammer had an ability like that. They sat in their pets mouth and used melee abilities, not a true tank spec, but it was fun much like Dark Apo for Demo locks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
"Blood mages" in WC3 practiced magic that had nothing to do with blood. They casted Flamestrike, Banish, Siphon Mana, and Summon Phoenix. They were magi with a darker feel than the those of Dalaran - consistent with the blood elves' theme of turning to darker paths and darker magic due to their withdrawal from the Sunwell's magic (hence the warlock-y spells like Banish and Siphon Mana, as well as the more volatile fire mage spells like Flamestrike and Summon Phoenix). The "blood" in "blood mage" was more in the sense of "blood" in "blood elf": it did not have anything to do with manipulating blood; it was just a title-name-thing like "Sin'dorei".

As to how "blood mage" changed to signify a mage who manipulated blood magics, my guess is that either a new dev tried to bring in lore about them in game but was not knowledgable about what they were in WC3, or they tried to develop it beyond that.

Though if they wanted to develop blood mages as mages who manipulated blood, they probably should have appropriated it to the San'layn, since they have a heritage of wielding magic and it plays well with their vampiric theme.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I always thought it had to be something related to how demon's blood holds power. Warlocks have a few spells that deal with blood, Blood DKs obviously have lots of spells dealing with healing by drawing blood (or at least that's how I like to think about it, strike them with death strike, draw blood, use it to 'heal' injuries), or manipulating blood.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Hi, I am a blood mage.

Nah, I think the blood mages of Warcraft 3 got retconned into being hemomancers, either that or the blood mages we find in WoW are not at all like the blood elf kind.

Blood Horror was given to warlocks, and Health Funnel seems to be blood magic, although l beyond that I'd appropriate blood mages as their own unique caster class and blood magic as it's own unique magic school.

I like to roleplay a mixture of a hemomancer and crazy pyromancer. Which sounds like a compromise between lore holes, if you know what I mean.
Edited by Gilaras on 2/19/2013 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]