Setheek Halls: So, about these fears . . .

90 Night Elf Druid
Hello,

I'm a new tank!

I was previously leveling this druid as feral pre-expansion, then discovered feral was radically different, and decided to try out tanking.

It's been . . . interesting.

People talk about how easy it is to tank low-level dungeons, well yes, that's true, but I find that biggest part of tanking is basically ensuring your group stays happy. Being a surveyer, pulling the right amount, maintaining a good pace. It's kinda cute to see how everyone else decides to move or not move based on me too . . . >.>

Anyway, my one current issue right now is setheek halls and that horrible horrible hallway where everyone seems to get feared in a million directions (on a bad day). And then there's all the orbs doing their charms, which is especially annoying when they charm me!

I realize I won't be doing this instance for too long, but I was wondering if people had some tips for making this particular dungeon easier. I even noticed someone mention it today in a "qq about tanks" threads in general discussion.

Also, when will I feel the learning curve sharply increase? Aside from this specific dungeon, the rest has been seriously easy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Does berserk still have a fear immunity?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
It does. 6 seconds of immunity, including a break.

I don't actually remember any fear in Sethekk Halls, but it's been a while. I do remember one in the Shadow Labyrinth, though, which had a pretty simple solution: Pull them back. Mobs don't have to be engaged where they stand, regardless of how aggressive DPS are - it's better to fight them where you know it's safe than to put yourself in a situation where things will go from annoying to painful.

As for the charming orbs, that's for everyone else to deal with. They die quickly when people pay attention to them - but if they ignore them than they're just asking for trouble.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Yup, there's a fear, and it's a right nasty one, too. It's cast by the Sethekk Prophets, I think, and, in the big room before the final boss, can fear you into more and more groups, which can lead to a wipe if you aren't careful.

I'm not too familiar with a bear's moveset, but I do think Berserk prevents fear effects. Should try to keep that on cooldown in that room if you can, to prevent loss of control.
Edited by Fistlobster on 2/19/2013 8:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
It does. 6 seconds of immunity, including a break.

When did they add that back? O.o
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yup, there's a fear, and it's a right nasty one, too. It's cast by the Sethekk Prophets, I think, and, in the big room before the final boss, can fear you into more and more groups, which can lead to a wipe if you aren't careful.

I'm not too familiar with a bear's moveset, but I do think Berserk prevents fear effects. Should try to keep that on cooldown in that room if you can, to prevent loss of control.

Thank you for the help.

What's said here is SPOT ON. The reason the fear needs to get avoided is to ensure the entire room doesn't get pulled, which results in a serious nasty experience, and in the worse case, a wipe.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Kill Prophets first, they usually die in 1 bash.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
02/19/2013 09:06 PMPosted by Nerfheals
When did they add that back? O.o

My bad. Completely failed to look at the OP's class and respond accordingly. Was thinking Berserker Rage - not Berserk. They didn't add it back, and sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.

I remember the room you're talking about in Sethekk now. And the same solution I offered still stands: pull them back. If you're in the room it's almost a given that you're going to be feared off into another group. If you pull them back into the room you just cleared (the one which had the two packs of birds, three packs of Arakoa and one serpent), however, than there's a tiny little doorway (tiny compared to the width of the room itself) which you have to make your way through before you even stand a chance of reaching anything else hostile.

Once you've cleared at least the first two or three packs you can start thinking about moving into the room itself. But you'll still want to pull them back to the other side of the room as a precaution, if not continuing to pull them outside.

If your DPS can't handle that, well, just let 'em die when they get feared off. Provided your healer doesn't give chase, the extra group(s) will simply reset and you can continue on safely with 4 (or less) people. Resurrect the daft later.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
02/19/2013 10:32 PMPosted by Postonforums
Kill Prophets first, they usually die in 1 bash.
No need to complicate things, just do this.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
When did "Pull them back" change from being something people just did to avoid things like fears to being "complicated?"

That was pretty much the general purpose "that sucked - what could we do better?" strategy of TBC, and I can remember doing it extremely frequently even earlier; though that wasn't so much about fears but simply mob density.
Edited by Asterchades on 2/20/2013 6:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
02/20/2013 06:12 AMPosted by Asterchades
When did "Pull them back" change from being something people just did to avoid things like fears to being "complicated?"

That's a more elegant strategy for a more civilized time.

Really I normally don't have problems with doing that even in LFD pugs. Most of the time people seem to be able to adjust quickly and run to the tank. Occasionally though you get the more "interesting" groups.

Switching to a healer's perspective as long as the tank can grab agro on everything and use CDs plus their AM effectively it's not too bad even if things go really wrong. It's the groups where you end up with 5 tanks that get messy. Sometimes you can pull it off. Sometimes it's you and one smart dps'er with AoE kiting capability. Sometimes you run back and half the party gets lost.

Oh, those stupid invulnerable ghosts are another thing that annoy me. People just stand there and get hit by them.

Don't even get me started on the MC totems on the first floor ...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/20/2013 07:13 AMPosted by Kahzregi
Don't even get me started on the MC totems on the first floor ...

I had killed 3 of the group, screaming in /party KILL THE TOTEM before someone killed it.

Fun times :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Also it is good to get in the habit of marking targets. Skull the mob that casts the fear and hope the group helps you nuke it down.
Reply Quote
Extra options: Bash, glyph of Fae Silence, Skull Bash, Typhoon as a secondary interrupt.
Reply Quote
94 Goblin Shaman
Oh those BC dungeons! Where you actually had to do something besides faceroll mash your AE DPS rotation...even long after they've been nerfed.

Flash forward to MoP, where "heroic" just means "lvl 90 faceroll dungeon that you can run with 1 tank and 4 dps because nothing does anything that hurts".
Edited by Weepea on 2/20/2013 10:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Hopefully you'll come to love dungeons like Sethek Halls OP. DPS have to lay back and let you pull in those. Just wait 'til Stonecore!
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman

That was pretty much the general purpose "that sucked - what could we do better?" strategy of TBC, and I can remember doing it extremely frequently even earlier; though that wasn't so much about fears but simply mob density.
You don't really need to do that when you can kill the Prophets (by yourself, as a tank) in about 3-4 GCDs.

:/

But if it makes you feel like enough of an elitist, go ahead and pull them back. Personally, I will take the easier and faster route to clearing the dungeon, which is kind of the point of being a good tank.
Edited by Kangamooster on 2/21/2013 8:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
As was said, any time fears are involved, pull the group back. If possible, use line of sight around a corner to get casters rounded up.

Rentrenus, this is Mageski. As a fellow frequenter of the Mage forums I will vouch for you that Bear tanking is fun.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
You don't really need to do that when you can kill the Prophets (by yourself, as a tank) in about 3-4 GCDs.

:/

But if it makes you feel like enough of an elitist, go ahead and pull them back. Personally, I will take the easier and faster route to clearing the dungeon, which is kind of the point of being a good tank.

Did you think about what you wrote before you wrote it or even read it afterward? Pot, meet kettle. You might want to sample the edit function.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

When things started dying within the duration of a stun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]