Ok...STAT priority confusion..what the best?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Being new to tanking I know there are several ways to go. Two of the most common are shown below. A is the slow and steady smooth damage intake, B is the low damage intake with large damage spikes.

I have been running with A while I level but for 5 man heroics and raids (LFR only) what is the preferred style?

A) Stamina -->Hit Rating (until 7.5%)--->Expertise Rating (until 15%)--->Mastery Rating--->Haste Rating.

B) Stamina--->Parry Rating and Dodge Rating--->Mastery Rating--->Hit Rating--->Expertise Rating.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
There's really no reason to stack stamina for dungeons/lfr. The amount you get innately on your gear is more than sufficient.

capping hit/expertise > haste > mastery > avoidance is what most paladins are doing. Avoidance lowers overall damage taken but increases spike damage. Spike damage kills tanks, overall damage rarely does.
Edited by Tuesdays on 2/20/2013 7:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Spike damage definitely kills tanks in Normals which also supports control over avoidance. Blade Lord is a prime example where you can go from full to dead in 2 gcd.

LFR not so much but the control build is still better when you are controlling your incoming damage properly. BTW Haste/Mastery and Mastery/Haste both over Avoidance are control builds if that was confusing.
Edited by Lustan on 2/20/2013 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Great. Tanks for the replies.......hehe
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Agreed with the above. If you see a Prot Paladin stacking Stamina (especially with gems) they generally fall into one of two categories:

1) 25 man heroic modes

2) totally clueless

Nothing short of 25 man heroic raid bosses will hit you hard enough to justify heavy stamina stacking, afaik. You could justify dual stamina trinkets on some 10H bosses, but for the most part even that is not necessary. Especially if you're not in heroic raiding, it's all about reducing your damage intake in a reasonable manner - Hit/Exp cap, then preferably Haste and Mastery (but Dodge and Parry are not as far behind as many claim). Stamina is not bad by any means, but there is no need to really seek out a lot of it for this sort of content.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok so when it comes time to gem do NOT gem stamina? If hit and Exp are capped with gear do I gem just haste and mastery? or combinations of the two?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In my opinion, which I think others would disagree with, is that Stamina is a great stat to stack. When you're dodging and you're not parrying, you're taking damage that Stamina can help to soften the hits.

As far as which stat priority to use between LFR and 5-man Heroics, you actually raise a great question. For me, I had problems gaining threat in 5-man Heroics, and so I went with the Hit/Expertise route to be able to gain more threat. But when I started doing LFR, I believe I benefit more from the Dodge/Parry route, since most of the time the only way I get threat is from the other tank, and it's only when I attack first or use Reckoning.

Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/20/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Thormacist
In my opinion, which I think others would disagree with, is that Stamina is a great stat to stack. When you're dodging and you're not parrying, you're taking damage that Stamina can help to soften the hits.

Except that stamina doesn't soften the hits at all. Your health will increase which makes the hits look smaller, but they're not. In fact, they're generally larger than if you were stacking mitigation or avoidance stats. While it might look like you're taking less damage because your health bar doesn't drop as much, you're actually taking more damage and requiring more healing to keep up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]