Clockwork gnome mandatory?

90 Night Elf Hunter
Trying to learn pet battles and I've just started my collection, but it seems that pretty much every single team I face in the random queue has this one pet in common. Why?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
02/21/2013 02:12 AMPosted by Spechunt
Trying to learn pet battles and I've just started my collection, but it seems that pretty much every single team I face in the random queue has this one pet in common. Why?

More than likely you are facing the same person/people over and over. Gnome is a good pet and can have some synergy in a few teams. He is far from mandatory though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Gnome is pretty popular at lower levels in pvp because he has a strong DoT + self repair + mechanical passive and most people don't know how to counter it.

Counters:

Any damage reducing ability (shell shield, sandstorm, stoneskin, etc). You take 0 damage from the turrets.

Elementals, especially conflag pets if you have any.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Gnome is pretty popular at lower levels in pvp because he has a strong DoT + self repair + mechanical passive and most people don't know how to counter it.

Counters:

Any damage reducing ability (shell shield, sandstorm, stoneskin, etc). You take 0 damage from the turrets.

Elementals, especially conflag pets if you have any.

That makes sense. Didn't know about the 0 dmg from turret part, thanks.

Any advice for effective countering? Seems every time I try to bring in a pet that is the weakness of my opponents pet, they simply swap it out before I can get a single attack in, thus nullifying the advantage in the match up completely.
Edited by Spechunt on 2/21/2013 8:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Take something with sandstorm to negate the dots.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
A flayer is nice against Gnomes because Kick interrupts his heal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Any advice for effective countering? Seems every time I try to bring in a pet that is the weakness of my opponents pet, they simply swap it out before I can get a single attack in, thus nullifying the advantage in the match up completely.

Use a pet with abilities that are outside of their main tree.

If you're fighting a humanoid, and you send out something undead, then odds are they're going to swap.

However if you send in a snail, they may think nothing of this as humanoids take less damage from critters but when he starts unleashing undead damage via absorb, it can help turn the tide of the fight.

Using the Clockwork Gnome because he's a great example, he has the choice of a mechanical or elemental ability for slot 1, defensive heal or humanoid attack for slot 2, and some big mechanical attacks for slot 3. He brings a lot of utility because of this.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Like someone else said above, a Conflagrate pet will decimate a Gnome, or any other mech you run into. If you don't want to go that route, run a pet with some sort of shielding ability, like a turle, a magical crawdad, an emerald proto whelp.. something like that. Other things to note. Lave wava and other wave abilities can kill the turrets. Interupts like kick can stop the heal. Dodge and burrow can also be effective.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
It's a great leveling pet, but there are much better options at high levels. It is fun to use in a lightning storm team, but lightning storm is more entertaining than it is effective. Too easy to counter.

An elemental with sandstorm would destruction him good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]