So I tried affliction PvP

90 Undead Warlock
I don't know if it was a fluke but I was killing fools so fast. Why is aff not used more for pvp?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It's underrated for anything other than arena atm, it'll be used more frequently in things like RBGs next season. I'll be swapping from Destro to Aff in RBGs next season.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
So far I've had nothing but great success in bgs with aff spec.
Reply Quote
The thing is, people see a channeled filler spell and are immediately turned off by the spec.

I don't understand why; Drain Life has been affliction's pvp filler since launch, and aside from that, 4 GCDs and you've got 4 plebs full dotted, what's not to love?

A channeled spell is usually a laser pointer to whom is going to be spell locked.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I've been telling people this all season. And channeling MG isn't any worse than people seiing you wind up a never-ending chaos bolt.

Afflic playstyle is smooth as silk and with CD s popped you literally melt people.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/17/2013 12:12 AMPosted by Threechainz
Why is aff not used more for pvp?

Take a look at the arena ratings. Affliction locks are the most popular spec and have proven to have the highest success. It is the best spec to take if you want to achieve great heights, and is used by a large percentage of warlocks.

And no, i don't know why its getting buffed in 5.2, its extremely powerful as is, but what ever, if blizz wants to buff it, so be it.
Reply Quote

And no, i don't know why its getting buffed in 5.2, its extremely powerful as is, but what ever, if blizz wants to buff it, so be it.

actually, blizz wants to "buff" it because it can't compete at 2200+ rating....take a look at representations: http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/stats-classesrepartition-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html
Reply Quote
20 Undead Priest
Can you post your rotation?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/17/2013 12:12 AMPosted by Threechainz
I don't know if it was a fluke but I was killing fools so fast.

How much PvP gear did the fools in question have?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The thing is, people see a channeled filler spell and are immediately turned off by the spec.

I don't understand why; Drain Life has been affliction's pvp filler since launch, and aside from that, 4 GCDs and you've got 4 plebs full dotted, what's not to love?

The problem is that drain life was never what our damage was shaped over. Before, if you put dots up and let them tick, that was fine. Now, in order to do SERIOUS damage, you have to be relying heavily on malefic grasp.

I believe that the problem isn't in the fact that it's a channelled spell, but that's it's such an instrumental spell. To risk being spelllocked out of EVERYTHING BUT FELFLAME vs not doing any damage just puts aff in a very dismal place.

The killing power of aff isn't the problem, its how fragile it is. One spelllock, one guy on you, etc. and you just went from dealing mass damage to barely managing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/17/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Vreivai
I don't know if it was a fluke but I was killing fools so fast.

How much PvP gear did the fools in question have?

I have no idea I can't inspect them mid BG lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
If you pop DS and trinkets it is almost a guaranteed kill, outside of that it takes a lot of skill to PVP as affliction. That isn't to say that they aren't good and it isn't rewarding - they are and it is.

From that link you posted about class usage, it would seem to me that warlocks and other classes don't really need a buff (with the exception of brewmaster monks rofl), warriors and frost mages need to be nerfed to be brought in line with the other classes.

I always think nerfs > buffs... otherwise you just get too much power creep =/
Edited by Gondolin on 2/17/2013 9:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
If you pop DS and trinkets it is almost a guaranteed kill, outside of that it takes a lot of skill to PVP as affliction. That isn't to say that they aren't good and it isn't rewarding - they are and it is.

From that link you posted about class usage, it would seem to me that warlocks and other classes don't really need a buff (with the exception of brewmaster monks rofl), warriors and frost mages need to be nerfed to be brought in line with the other classes.

I always think nerfs > buffs... otherwise you just get too much power creep =/
Hunters seriously need a nerf too. Stampede should be given a cast time again, DKs live with their version of stampede having a cast time, why can't hunters. Plus they were designed around having a dead zone so their traps and such were necessary. Now that they don't have that weakness, they're just bull!@#$.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I've only seen one Warlock use Affliction effectively in RBGs. For the most part, at least on my team, a channel is a giant sign telling our entire team to keep them chain silenced.

Drain Life was a fantastic filler when SL/SL was a thing, but that was also because you could talent into reduced pushback, reduced chance to interrupt, shadowy embrace and various other abilities that increased your ability to channel, increased the health given by your drain life, and Soul Link helped you live.

None of that exists anymore. The comparison is moot.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Drain Life was a fantastic filler when SL/SL was a thing, but that was also because you could talent into reduced pushback, reduced chance to interrupt, shadowy embrace and various other abilities that increased your ability to channel, increased the health given by your drain life, and Soul Link helped you live.

None of that exists anymore. The comparison is moot.

This. I tried affliction, I really did. In random BGs where people let you channel malefic grasp to your heart's content, it's awesome. In any serious pvp with people who know how to push their interrupt and dispel buttons, you're screwed.

In cata I could put my dots on and even if I couldn't channel, the damage was decent. Since MoP launched, dot damage without the channel is negligible.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Take a look at the arena ratings. Affliction locks are the most popular spec and have proven to have the highest success. It is the best spec to take if you want to achieve great heights, and is used by a large percentage of warlocks.

What are you basing your opinion on? Personal experience? Statistics? Words from high rated pvpers?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/18/2013 01:43 AMPosted by Noctowl
Since MoP launched, dot damage without the channel is negligible.

It's apparently because in late Cataclysm, warlock multi-dotting was considered too powerful.
Struck me as odd considering there were no PvE fights where multi-dotting even happened :P I didn't do any pvp in cataclysm, however, so I can't speak from that perspective.
Afflic was the go to spec for PvP in cata. Locks were, I think, the highest represented class.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]