are ret pallys viable in pvp

90 Human Paladin
I been hearing a lot from the forums of ret pallys that u cant go above a 1800 rating, I honestly love the paladin as its my fav class. im also being told by guild mates is the differ is the fact of how u play and work with ur team, im hoping to get into high end arena 2v2 and 3v3 but from wat I heard is that I wuld need to be a healer and healing is my less qualified spec for me. I played before, but never to where I wanted to be a arena consistent. I was always a caual, but im rdy to pick up the game... wat can pallys be viable in...
I was thinking for 2s a hunter or warrier, but idk, are they viable
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The worst specs and comps can get to 1800. Excluding he who's name shall not be invoked, there are quite a few ret paladins over 1800, just not that many over 2200.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
why is it that not so many make it over 2200?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It might have something to do with the fact that health pools are 3x larger then in cataclysm, yet I wog myself now or less then I did back then.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Pvp design as a whole is at one of its lowest points right now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
like I hate pve wth passion which I sy I hate lvling toons, but with pvp I like to so I work with my pally...I mean if I went with warrior and hunter arena team wuld I be well suted with that or even 2 hunters, as I enjoy ret pvp, im not the best but I do consider my self gd, as for survival complaiing by most I just use insight, sacrifices my dmg, but when I hit that I usualy do it when I no longer got a stun but than again ima have to change up tactics for arenas...so would a hunter warrior and ret be a gd team?
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
02/17/2013 09:09 PMPosted by Dartail
It might have something to do with the fact that health pools are 3x larger then in cataclysm, yet I wog myself now or less then I did back then.

you're in no gear, you've only been to 1700 in 2s, and not higher than 1500 in 3s. But yes, it's blizzard's fault you can't get high.

Ret's are good at 2-2.2k range. It's having to deal with feral,warrior,spirest comps that do a lot better when played with good players that gives you the brick wall
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/17/2013 09:17 PMPosted by Skeygaming
you're in no gear, you've only been to 1700 in 2s, and not higher than 1500 in 3s. But yes, it's blizzard's fault you can't get high.

1. I never said anything about rating.

2. I never said anything about getting high.

3. You're a moron.

4. My point stands that wogs heal for less then in cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
so how do u deal with feral druid...and spriest?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Its a struggle but if you go all support with another dps you can do well. I recommend bm/ret, fdk/ret, awar/ret, dlock/ret or even fmage/ret for best results
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't blow offensive CDs at start, because you're more than likely going to be targeted first.

I run with a FDK and I usually have to go into defensive mode right out of the gates. I kite around and use my defensive CDs and then once my FDK has got their attention with how much damage he can dish out, they usually know they're in a bind. When they turn their attention to him, I'll either pop my offensive CDs and go to town or i'll go into support mode and just keep him alive for a bit, then it's time for wings.

If they target him first, i'll do the same thing he did for me. I'll pop my offensive CDs and try and either divert their attention to me, enabling him to start dishing out damage, or i'll end up blowing up one of them entirely, so we can finish off the other one together.

Selfless Healer and 2 HoFs are pretty good for 2s. I want to get better gear before we actually try and aim for a high rating, though. We just cap conquest every week and seem to do pretty well with it.

Ret damage isn't that great outside of CDs, that's why I kite/support my FDK when my CDs are down or when I am waiting for the right time to use them. It's not about being a Warrior or DK, it's about being a Ret Paladin. A support class with the ability to burst.

I'll admit, a Holy Paladin + almost anything else is hard for us, so long the Holy Paladin isn't a brainless moron. Divine Shield is rough when it's being used by a smart Holy Paladin, haha.
Edited by Hydroplaning on 2/18/2013 1:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/17/2013 09:17 PMPosted by Skeygaming

Ret's are good at 2-2.2k range. It's having to deal with feral,warrior,spirest comps that do a lot better when played with good players that gives you the brick wall

This coming from a level 1 rogue... gtfo forums noob less ur willing to post on your real characters bout saying how others have no gear/rating etc. And to note there's a certain firefox addon that shows poster's alts that they have used to post on fourms,..and i see quite a few under ur name.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The brickwall for me a lot of this season was being trained by KFC, but it really wasn't that bad.

In saying that, I was extremely happy to get my t2 this season, happiest to get it since my first season seriously PvPing and first t2 wep in in Furious season.
Edited by Solvexx on 2/18/2013 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The brickwall for me a lot of this season was being trained by KFC, but it really wasn't that bad.

In saying that, I was extremely happy to get my t2 this season, happiest to get it since my first season seriously PvPing and first set of t2 in Furious season.

I have problems getting trained by KFC, what do you recommend?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

In saying that, I was extremely happy to get my t2 this season, happiest to get it since my first season seriously PvPing and first set of t2 in Furious season.

Most of the time I would recommend trying to not queue when you run into KFC teams that are going to train you lol.

I am not going to come in here claiming to be the best player in the world but it is certainly a challenge to stay alive this season. Ret has only a couple of real defensive cds right now and with the prevalence of warriors and priests bubble doesn't stay up for very long against most teams above 1500. Everyone knows by this point to just train the Ret so you can either blow your CD's out of the gate and hope to get a kill or play mega defensive and hope your partner is able to peel and put out some damage to allow you to blow your cds and finish someone off.

Like said above it is not easy to get high rating this season since we are short on defensives and there are so many warriors, ferals, and shadows out their.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

In saying that, I was extremely happy to get my t2 this season, happiest to get it since my first season seriously PvPing and t2 wep in Furious season.

I ran with a feral as much as possible.
Ferals eat hunters and make it so easy to stay on them.

Always change to sacred shield, and use the divine purpose glyph.
Get good at boping scatters when it matters on your healer so he never goes in to the trap in the first place, or warrior fear if it is used offensively.

Have a game plan. Number one thing when trying to get rating.
Have a picture in your head of how the game should go and do whatever you need to do to make it happen.

Other than that, just don't line your healer as much as possible and play well and KFC isn't that bad. It's mostly in our heads. :)
Edited by Solvexx on 2/18/2013 2:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/18/2013 12:45 AMPosted by Brutalshotz
Its a struggle but if you go all support with another dps you can do well. I recommend bm/ret, fdk/ret, awar/ret, dlock/ret or even fmage/ret for best results

I get tired of hearing this... going all support,... thats why there is a spec called holy... Although ret does have some support and should use it, there is not much that a ret can do atm that another class/spec cannot also do and probably better
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/20/2013 01:02 AMPosted by Phally

I get tired of hearing this... going all support,... thats why there is a spec called holy... Although ret does have some support and should use it, there is not much that a ret can do atm that another class/spec cannot also do and probably better

Well that's part of the toolkit we have. With the changes to Hand of Sacrifice and our healing being buffed supporting your teammates will be easier than it is now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

As long as we have the exact same utility tool kit as holy, we'll remain a support dps.
The only problem is:
Holy - same tool kit and awesome healing.
Ret - same tool kit and crap damage (especially outside of cds).
Edited by Daemonism on 2/20/2013 1:18 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]