Combat pvp

90 Night Elf Rogue
Alrighty so I plan to mostly play pvp, 2v2,3v3,bgs at 90 and im trying to pick a spec right now to get better at and practice. For the most part i really like combat, the playstyle and transmogs(because daggers are dumb) but I know thats its kind of bottom SPECtrum (:D Ba-dun-tish!) but my question is, how much at a disadvantage will i be because of it? Will certain fights be easier or will i just be worse off in all cases?
Edited by Redon on 2/18/2013 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
PS. Does Sinister strike get any better because these 11k crits right now make me wanna cry. Given i dont have any pvp power and im not level capped but thats besides the point
Reply Quote
91 Undead Rogue
The vast majority of your ability to kill things as Combat comes from AR/SB and Killing Spree. Everything else you do is just filler until your cooldowns come back up.

To be fair Sub does essentially the same thing, Shadow Dance is just a LOT shorter cooldown.

Combat runs the middle of the road between Mut and Sub. Most of Mut's pressure is sustained damage, Sub's is burst, and Combat does both of those things. However it's sustained pressure isn't as good as Mut's and its burst is a lot less frequent than Sub's.

Combat is REALLY good in 1v1 situations. But that's really the only area that it will excel in come 5.2. (Atm it's also great in 2v2's but the BF change is going to severely hurt Spree's ability to dmg two targets).

SS doesn't get better I'm afraid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Do yourself a favor and don't play Combat. You will only be able to kill things inside of Adrenaline Rush/Shadow Blades, and anyone with a functional brain stem will CC you the moment they see it.

There are a lot of bad Rogues that run around, but everyone will know for certain that you're one of them if they hear the iconic Sinister Strike sound.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Yup, thats what i was afraid of lol. Thanks for the responses
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Combat is good in random bgs and 2v2's and it's pretty fun!

If you're a casual pvp'r then it's totally fine.

If you want the extra control and burst offered by sub for more serious pvp, then go for it.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Winterr
If you want the extra control and burst offered by sub for more serious pvp, then go for it.

So, do u think combat isn't usefull on rbg?

U said burst, combat bursts isn't the strongest? Shadow dance can be more letal than KS+trinket+Bandit guile on 30%?

I want to play SERIOUSLY with combat on pvp, rbg and x2 arenas, can i go for it without being weak?
Reply Quote
91 Undead Rogue
02/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Diseased
I want to play SERIOUSLY with combat on pvp, rbg and x2 arenas, can i go for it without being weak?

Yes. However Sub will serve you better. Unless you're bad at Shadow Dance.

Combat's burst IS equally damaging to Sub's. However Spree is very hard to set up and AR/SB is very cc'able, and both of your bursts are on LONG cooldown.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
02/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Diseased
So, do u think combat isn't usefull on rbg?

Yes. However Sub will serve you better. Unless you're bad at Shadow Dance.
Though I didn't commit to it this season I am considering it for when it comes to buying weapons next season. Combat is great in RGBs
Reply Quote
84 Human Warlock
To OP:

I am coming from the same background as the poster above me (Layy). Our ways were set for us back before Burning Crusade was even out. Only the oldest and wisest of us are even thinking about combat for PvP anymore. All the new guys are just looking online to see what the internet says so they can hop on the band wagon and face-roll the key board. I agree with all of Layy's post, i'd like to add my own piece to it-

watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2j14KFFtto

My point is shown between 8min-8:30min. You could watch as much of it as you like but I don't agree 100% with everything he says (such as the d-throw and s-toss, i just feel we were not meant for ranged combat so i wont grab it) but for those 30sec he will show you what your asking.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Thank Hid for linking the video. I've been playing since vanilla, this is actually my oldest character, i just never really level capped him in any xpac. Maybe thats why I like combat so much, because it was popular in bc and such. I think im gonna try it just for fun. Thanks again guys.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
One thing that will I suggest that hardly ever gets mentioned. Glyphed Expose Armor. It's an instant 12% armor debuff that lasts 30 seconds. Make sure it's up when you pop Adrenaline Rush and Killing Spree.
Reply Quote
84 Human Warlock
Redon: sure no prob, but i agree with Tulok above me. if i fight a warr and im ready to hit killing spree ill set it up like this:

+30% for time in battle
+10% for k-shot
+ 3% for armor debuff (raw damage increase not % armor goes down)
add shadow blades
hit potion mentioned in vid if they out gear me
finally, hit killing spree

(if they have a pet or one other person close (2v1) make sure to hit blade flurry that way ur intended target stil takes 100% damage also, dropped 2 ppl like that easy. warr and rogue didnt jump me again...hehe)

if you find it hard to get the +30%, macro SnD with A-rush to spam s-strike (glyph of a-rush recommended tho)
Edited by Hidbehindpet on 2/25/2013 5:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
glyph of sprint helps a lot with arenas. Sprint away at 100% speed, put the one target you want to KS in a 10 yard radius then KS. Almost all the time you should focus him down with it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]