My opinion of the Pandaria story so far.

100 Blood Elf Priest
I gotta say, I like it. I was nervous with it, because I felt that ditching everything as it is for something completely new would be disasterous, but I feel it went very smoothly. Also, it focuses on horde v. ally, which is always a fun topic.

However, I dislike 2 things, specifically ingame.
1. They try to make every character lawful good. Personally, I wanted to barf during the pandaria quest chain. If I was goiing to roleplay any of my characters I levelled, it would be a very insane (probably chaotic good) holy priest and a downright jerk of a warlock (prob more chaotic neutral or even a bit chaotic evil). Having to serve with being a hero and saving vol'jin, saving orc grunts, saving the whole troll race, working with anduin wrynn.... saving saving bipartisan work and, guess what, more saving!.... all I want to do is just puke. It feels like a four and a half year old's dream who, late at night when no one is watching, dresses up in a makeshift pally costume and white knights on internet forums....
I'm sorry for being harsh but ENOUGH WITH THE WHITE KNIGHTING. where did the adventurer who sold off kt's phylactery go? The warlock who would summon a doomguard by sacrificing one of the players in the ritual. The blood elf paladin who tortured and stole the light of a naaru (well that one is obvious). All I'm saying is playeers were allowed to be different alignments, and didn't neccessarily have to be lawful good. why pidgeonhold us into this?
2. I can't toss Wrathion off a cliff while he can't transform into a dragon. Seriously. The guy is annoying. Let me kick him in his face please. I hate being forced to work for him if I want to continue the questline. Would you kindly let me kick him in bis face? <3.
Edited by Mashedorbake on 2/18/2013 4:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
2. I can't toss Wrathion off a cliff while he can't transform into a dragon. Seriously. The guy is annoying. Let me kick him in his face please. I hate being forced to work for him if I want to continue the questline. Would you kindly let me kick him in bis face? <3.

I hate working with a lot of people.

Lyfe is ruff, yo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Wait, so you don't want to be good, but you hate Wrathion?

Wrathion is no white knight.
Edited by Lena on 2/18/2013 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Wait, so you don't want to be good, but you hate Wrathion?

Wrathion is no white knight.

Yeah but he's still just really annoying... I'm just annoyed that my character has to buy into all his crud when he's obviously lying his butt off. It's almost as lazy as who is Murozond XD
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Wrathion is an interesting character, no need to throw him off a cliff. We might get another Go'el to rise up and take his spot.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/18/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Jousho
Wrathion is an interesting character, no need to throw him off a cliff. We might get another Go'el to rise up and take his spot.

The only thing I'm irked over is that thrallxjaina never worked out.
Reply Quote
95 Undead Warlock
02/18/2013 04:23 PMPosted by Mashedorbake
1. They try to make every character lawful good. Personally, I wanted to barf during the pandaria quest chain. If I was goiing to roleplay any of my characters I levelled, it would be a very insane (probably chaotic good) holy priest and a downright jerk of a warlock (prob more chaotic neutral or even a bit chaotic evil). Having to serve with being a hero and saving vol'jin, saving orc grunts, saving the whole troll race, working with anduin wrynn.... saving saving bipartisan work and, guess what, more saving!.... all I want to do is just puke. It feels like a four and a half year old's dream who, late at night when no one is watching, dresses up in a makeshift pally costume and white knights on internet forums....

Like many games before WoW, we actually don't get to choose our character's personailty in game.

For instance, while leveling my tauren hunter through Northrend, Your character says things during quests, and it made my character have a sense of humour, at times snarky comments are made. I didn't write them, my character just says it during quests.

Your character is also loyal to Thrall's idea of the Horde, and never Garrosh's idea of the Horde; we sided with Vol'jin over Garrosh, we are helping him reach out to the other leaders of the Horde, and soon, we are helping Lor'themar prepare for the collapse of the Horde.

Lastly, your character is chaotic good. You do not get any say in the matter at all.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Demoniac_Scryer
Demoniac Visitation whispers: Thank you for allowing me to visit, <Name>. You have a very colorful soul, but it's a little brighter than I prefer... or I might have stayed longer!

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:We_All_Must_Sacrifice
Ah, the succulent thrill of life extinguished. Do you feel it, <class>? Do you relish it as I do?
No, I see not. You fight to protect the lives of others. Pity.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/18/2013 06:35 PMPosted by Ximothy
Like many games before WoW, we actually don't get to choose our character's personailty in game.

I know, and hate this.... Last I checked it was an mmoRPG, not an mmoadventuregame. /sigh.

But it still felt we were more than this one dimensional white knight.
Edited by Mashedorbake on 2/18/2013 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
95 Undead Warlock
02/18/2013 07:40 PMPosted by Mashedorbake
I know, and hate this.... Last I checked it was an mmoRPG, not an mmoadventuregame. /sigh.

The RPG bit means the actual Role Playing aspect of the game, when you interact with other players.

Questing is generic thus doesn't require your character to have a personality,
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
On the subject of forced characterization, remember the Temple of the White Tiger? When Garrosh or Varian Wrynn is canonized as the person your character hates most in the world? That was really disappointing for me, since I really can't think of any reason why my character would actually have any real personal grudge against Wrynn. Garrosh is probably easier to stomach for Ally characters, but still.

The RPG bit means the actual Role Playing aspect of the game, when you interact with other players.

Questing is generic thus doesn't require your character to have a personality,

There are a thousand different definitions of "Role-Playing," none of them convincing to everyone. For me, role-playing has nothing whatsoever to do with interacting with other players. It is entirely about having a mental conception of my character and being given the tools to make that conception a reality. Forcing the character to take actions that are blatantly incongruous with that mental conception degrades my role-playing.

Obviously, Blizzard can't possibly be expected to provide for every possible player, and as a player I have to be flexible in my expectations, but they could offer more options that one. Or at least, they could strive for a neutral tone and let you fill the blanks yourself.
Edited by Gavalorn on 2/18/2013 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
02/18/2013 07:55 PMPosted by Rufyn
Guess what loser, we've beaten back to Burning Legion 3 times without even trying that hard. If they tried to launch an invasion we'd beat the crap out of them on accident while still fighting each other. We'd probably kill Sargeras in collateral damage.

What? That's just just looking at the "Victory" part and completely ignoring how that victory came, what it cost and how close to losing Azeroth was. In Fury of the Sunwell Patch, Kil'jaeden almost entered Azeroth and was merely pushed back. It was more of a delay than anything.

In the Third War it took the Horde and Alliance working together with the Night elves, delaying Archimonde until the spell was ready. If he had reached Nordrassil before then he would have had a lot more power. We killed him, but took losing the blessings of the world tree.

In the War of the Ancients, it took everyone coming together to repel the Legion and Sargeras almost entered the world by a few moments. If Sargeras came at full power, all would have been lost. We stopped them, and it only took the entire continent being broken apart. If throwing everything at the Legion and barely winning isn't trying hard, then nothing is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]