Know Thy Enemy: Portrait of a Thunder King

Community Manager
It’s been a long journey since we first stepped foot in Pandaria. We’ve met the formidable and resourceful pandaren, made friends (or enemies) with the hozen and jinyu; we’ve faced the threat of the mantid, and unleashed long buried horrors upon the land in the form of the sha. But, amidst all of this, there was an even more insidious threat to take notice of. Layers upon layers of conflict can be found on the continent, including the situation involving the mogu and their once and perhaps (more frighteningly) future emperor, Lei Shen.

Read the latest blog entry to learn a little more about this imminent threat to Pandaria.
Reply Quote
Nicely written.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
02/20/2013 09:37 AMPosted by Kenshimoo
Nicely written.

Thanks. :) Glad you liked it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
man cant wait till patch day! been kinda bored lately, leveling alts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Nethaera for story forum blue 2013!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Hmmm.. Maybe one day I'll experience this raid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well done.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Well written but...

02/20/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Nethaera
We’ve met the formidable and resourceful pandaren

Formidable?
They purposely send their weakest to death against the Mantid every generation. Formidable would be capable of actually, you know, defeating the Mantid empire. They need our help to stand up to vermin and rabid moths. Maybe the Shado-Pan is "formidable" but they come off as hapless and helpless.

Resourceful? They overthrew the Mogu and then basically took all of the spoils for themselves. They've done very little beyond that. Their shrines are nothing but Mogu relics. Their homes are huts. They've done little of consequence since overthrowing their Mogu overseers but perfect martial arts, which they then wall off into separate groups while the lay practitioners are basically forced into farming or yak herding.

Speaking of farming, how resourceful can they be when they're utterly incapable of operating Halfhill without our help? They supposedly ran this farming community for hundreds, nay thousands, of years, dealing with the same hozen and vermin problems but, suddenly, they're absolutely incapable of dealing with it? Or actually planting their own crops?

This is why I'm losing interest in Pandaria. Lorewise, Pandaria is boring because you built an entire expansion around an easter egg that had no other foundation in lore. No real lore enemies - everything is basically made up on the fly. I don't feel like doing anything here has any lasting consequence. The Pandaren themselves (and their historical stories) are bland and full of contradictions. As a result, neither the Sha nor the Mogu are very compelling enemies, and the Mantid (the Klaxxi variety) don't seem so bad after you hear their story through the daily quest grind about how they slaughter the Pandaren (especially the bit we learn at the end of exalted).
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Formidable?
They purposely send their weakest to death against the Mantid every generation.
Where are you getting this from?
Edited by Vegdrasil on 2/20/2013 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Man, I came here to make my own thread about his before I noticed this one. This was gold. If there was a book written about the Mantid and the Mogu in the past I'd buy it asap.

I love the lore here and how the Thunder King had the wall built to avoid the Mantid as he could not conquer them.

It makes me think who is the real threat?

While selfish, would the Klaxxi assist us in his defeat?
Edited by Bosspriest on 2/20/2013 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Formidable?

Where are you getting this from?

She mis stated her argument, it is the Mantid who send their young against the wall and pandaran once every generation to weed out the weak among them. Nididolyn I suggest you continue your dailies your post shows you are one of the "millions" who did the minimum required to hit 90 and then stopped thinking you had the gist of things.
Reply Quote
39 Night Elf Warrior
do the CMs write these or does someone else write them
Reply Quote
Community Manager
02/21/2013 01:13 AMPosted by Tiamat
do the CMs write these or does someone else write them

I wrote the blog post. We write many of them in collaboration with other folks here at Blizzard whether you see a name attached or not. In this case, I worked with Dave Kosak and the Creative Development team to make sure everything was accurate and didn't contain anything we didn't want to spoil. ;) We have some more in store before the patch releases so, keep an eye out on the front page.
Reply Quote
You make it sound so exciting. I can hardly wait to get back there. I had to leave Pandaria when I made it to lvl 90 because I had a Horde Rogue and he was getting continually jumped and killed with one or two shots from all the other classes. So I started a Warrior and he's lvl 63 now.

I heard that the last patch had fixed the major nerf the Rogues received but I've totally forgot all of his shots and rotations and besides I'm hooked on Warriors now. It will be more fun this next time I bet, since most players in the other faction leave my Warrior alone if they're around the same lvl as me. Looking forward to it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Formidable?

Don't you have that reversed?

Formidable would be capable of actually, you know, defeating the Mantid empire. They need our help to stand up to vermin and rabid moths. Maybe the Shado-Pan is "formidable" but they come off as hapless and helpless.

First, you could say "formidable would be capable of actually defeating (X)" about, um, any of the factions in the game. Second, our characters are at the point in the game where they're completely badass war heroes. There are some major characters scattered about that are equal to or greater than ours, but the majority of the Pandaren aren't. Implied, and to some fair extent, seen, is that the Pandaren in general are a far tougher society than most of the other races. Third, the Shado-Pan and many of the other Pandaren seem to be spending a fair bit of time dealing with the Sha and the war between the Horde and Alliance.

Resourceful? They overthrew the Mogu and then basically took all of the spoils for themselves. They've done very little beyond that. Their shrines are nothing but Mogu relics. Their homes are huts. They've done little of consequence since overthrowing their Mogu overseers but perfect martial arts, which they then wall off into separate groups while the lay practitioners are basically forced into farming or yak herding.

They don't much care for building big cities or what have you. What they've got is sufficient for their needs, and they'd change it if it wasn't. They come across as a rather laid-back race. Also, the bit about their martial arts practitioners doing crop/animal farming - it's how they make their living. You can only really live off of martial arts training if you service it out in trade somehow, and considering that many Pandaren are top-tier martial artists simply as a part of society, there's probably a bit of a supply and demand issue.

Speaking of farming, how resourceful can they be when they're utterly incapable of operating Halfhill without our help? They supposedly ran this farming community for hundreds, nay thousands, of years, dealing with the same hozen and vermin problems but, suddenly, they're absolutely incapable of dealing with it? Or actually planting their own crops?

Isn't your character specifically helping one person with his farm - someone as new to it as you are? And this also goes back to my comment about our characters being war heroes. Sure, they can grab a stick and go out to beat up a bunch of hozen themselves... but on the other hand, they are surrounded by people who have done such things as face the undead, slay dragons, battle demons, yet will still go out and sift through poop on the ground if given enough gold or other shiny things. Again, laid-back. They're playing to their strengths while letting you play to yours, if you're interested.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
I'm a bit confused about all this, not about the topic just about Nethaera's involvement here. As long as this forum has been updated from the previous website (possibly longer, I wasn't around to see it then), there has been zero blue involvement here in the story forum, except for Nyorloth which iirc was only for a few weeks. How come Nethaera and/or Blizzard is finally taking an interest to the Story Forum? What's changed?

And by involvement I mean responding to other posters, not leaving a post only to be consumed by the general populace.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I'm a bit confused about all this, not about the topic just about Nethaera's involvement here. As long as this forum has been updated from the previous website (possibly longer, I wasn't around to see it then), there has been zero blue involvement here in the story forum, except for Nyorloth which iirc was only for a few weeks. How come Nethaera and/or Blizzard is finally taking an interest to the Story Forum? What's changed?

And by involvement I mean responding to other posters, not leaving a post only to be consumed by the general populace.

They have a lot to do, many forums to attend, posts to read and answer, jobs to do. And these sub-forums to feed whenever they can, I think.
Reply Quote
While I sort of agree with the notion that Pandaren aren't formidable, I must say that defeating the mantid empire would be a colossal task for anyone...they have millions of their population ready to swarm Pandaria at any moment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]