Upgrade Shin'ka or wait for 5.2?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Here's a quandry that I've been trying to figure out:

I currently have the RF version of Shin'ka, with the +500 Str Sha-Touched gem, as well as a +320 Str JC gem.

Looking over some items available in 5.2, I'm suspecting Greatsword of the Frozen Hells is probably going to be the best Ret weapon I'll have access to in the next tier of content (I don't PVP or raid regularly).

So here's the question, assuming full upgrades on both weapons, is it worth it to upgrade Shin'ka now, or save the Valor and wait for GotFH, consdering as well that if upgrading Shin'ka is the better option, it's one I won't have until a later patch when they put upgrades back in.

Here's the item comparison I put together on Wowhead, but it's incomplete because it doesn't allow you to put in the other +320 gem I have in Shin'ka currently.

http://ptr.wowhead.com/compare?items=86905.0.0.0.89881.0.0.0.145.2;95875.0.0.0.76699.0.0.0.0.2
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You'll most likely get the 1500 valor you lost upgrading it twice back before you get the new sword to drop into the LFR. Especially considering that its a Trash drop in normal raids, so they only way to get it in LFR is through a loot bag

I'd say upgrade your axe
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Definitely upgrade the axe. If luck isn't with you, it could be months before you actually obtain a t15 weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Generally, I agree, and I speak from experience. I have upgraded mine.

Short advice, if you at least 2750 valor now, or expect to have atleast that before 5.2, then upgrade it.

Since they announced the end of the pvp season for 3/5, you can expect 5.2 to hit 3/12 or 3/19. So, that means you have at least 3 weeks (1000 valor cap/week) to earn back those 1500.

But let me ask you this, how much valor points do you have now? Only 1500? Or are you sitting near cap? If you have barely 1500 or even less and you do NOT anticipate regularly capping per week, then I might advise against upgrading and saving that valor for the 522 neck pieces available (at 1250) at Neutral from Shado-Pan Assault faction. You will also have access to 522 Wrist, Trinket, and Ring at Friendly which will happen very quickly after patch. Of course if you pass on the upgrade and Lady Luck shuns you, it might be a while before you can replace that weapon.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'm right around 1500 now, but but I usually do cap every week, or get close to it, so I was considering whether to upgrade or save it for new gear. I think I'm probably going to upgrade based on the points made here, mainly because I only have a limited window to upgrade Shin'ka, and it seems like it might take awhile to get the new sword. The other gear I'll pick up as I earn more Valor.

Thanks everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Since they announced the end of the pvp season for 3/5, you can expect 5.2 to hit 3/12 or 3/19. So, that means you have at least 3 weeks (1000 valor cap/week) to earn back those 1500.

The patch is usually the day the pvp season ends.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The patch is usually the day the pvp season ends.

I can't remember for certain how previous patches dropped, but for this patch, that is unlikely:

http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/8730001

"The next Arena and Rated Battleground season will begin approximately one week after the current season ends."

I don't think they are going to release the patch without the beginning the next pvp season.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Upgrades will not be available after5.2....dont wait
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/22/2013 06:26 PMPosted by Turand
I don't think they are going to release the patch without the beginning the next pvp season.

IIRC, that is exactly what has happened in the past (at least for some seasons). There's a one-week period when the previous season is over, the new patch is out, and the new season isn't started yet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]