So long, and thanks for all the fish

1 Pandaren Monk
<Tempest>, formed in 2007, started raiding 25 mans in Gruul's Lair and Magtheridon while it was current content and has steadily progressed through each tier while it was relevant.

We were never interested in server firsts, gladly leaving that challenge for more capable guilds.

We were happy progressing at our own pace for years and managed to do so even as recently as a month or so ago. However, while we had at least 2 or 3 apps weekly prior to 2013, they interest in a declining server dropped the apps to once every two weeks. This was not enough to maintain a progression 25-man raid.

We tried. We brought at least 20 to 25 transfers over to Gorgonnash in the past 6 to 8 months and now that we've transferred off, we've basically zero-summed the equation. No loss, no gain.

The decision to transfer was not a sudden decision nor was it made lightly. We had discussed transferring once or twice in the past, but had just enough people interested in our progression to continue pushing. Gorgonnash has been my home since November 2004 and it definitely sucks to have to move much less put more cash in Blizzard's pockets.

So long, farewell. Thanks for being cool, Gorg. If you're curious, we're now on Cenarius. Oh man, that's an awesome sentence.

TLDR; QQ, we're leaving. Blizz is not going to open free transfers or merge servers. They just made a cool $500.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
lame - sucks to see toons leave a server... WTB a BLUE
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
"it definitely sucks to have to move much less put more cash in Blizzard's pockets"

But you did anyway.

"Blizz is not going to open free transfers or merge servers."

Why should they when people like you make their bad business decisions economically viable? You're part of the problem.

Worse still, you KNOW you're part of the problem but are powerless to change.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
was fun playing here gorgonnash. came here from a very dead server during BC, and enjoyed it all the way till the last day. be well.

"it definitely sucks to have to move much less put more cash in Blizzard's pockets"

But you did anyway.

"Blizz is not going to open free transfers or merge servers."

Why should they when people like you make their bad business decisions economically viable? You're part of the problem.

Worse still, you KNOW you're part of the problem but are powerless to change.

so correct me on this. you are paying $15 per month on a dying dead server. are you getting 100% value out of your $15? if no. then i guess youve mad bad business decisions yourself. if yes. well then you cant really expect others to enjoy what you enjoy, now can you?

people do what people want. thus we did what we wanted. if an indirect result is lining blizzard's pockets with gold, meh. $25 is a fairly measly amount of money. piled together a good amount. which is why they wont merge servers. regardless, id rather pay money and move to a bigger server than expect ethics out of a video game.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Eventually Blizzard will be forced to shut down/merge servers. In order for this to happen, however, they need to start LOSING money, rather than be rewarded for their bad policies.

To that end, I've done my part: I canceled my subscription in January (it expires in May) and I know of a few other raiders here on Gorg who have done the same for that very reason.

I encourage others to vote with their wallets as well.
Be part of the solution, not the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue

Quitting is your solution. Transferring is mine.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Eventually Blizzard will be forced to shut down/merge servers. In order for this to happen, however, they need to start LOSING money, rather than be rewarded for their bad policies.

To that end, I've done my part: I canceled my subscription in January (it expires in May) and I know of a few other raiders here on Gorg who have done the same for that very reason.

I encourage others to vote with their wallets as well.

its a video game sir. i do not consider it past its dps meters and achievement whoring. my agenda is to have fun. im paying $15 to have fun. if my agenda is not met, then i figure out a way to meet it.

hell one part of me is yelling at me to stop explaining myself. none of my opinons will change yours, none of yours will change mine.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/21/2013 02:02 PMPosted by Lycanthat
You're part of the problem.

I soundly reject the notion that we, as paying customers, are part of the problem.

The problem is solidly on Blizzard's inability to manage their server populations. I recognize that Gorgonnash is worse off without our raid and the others who have recently transferred, but that is not our fault. Server population imbalance is not the responsibility of the customer to fix. it is Blizzard's responsibility. I have no guilt for my recent transfer.

To everyone left on Gorg, I can say this - leaving for a higher population server was the best thing we could have done. The game experience is totally different.

Go. whether you transfer or reroll..get off the sinking ship and find a server where you can actually enjoy every aspect of the game again. It's only been a week, but what a great week it's been, and I look forward to an amazing expansion on our new server.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Thank you all for your responses.

To be clear I do not bear any ill will to anyone from Tempest or anyone else who transferred off.

I am mad at Blizzard for having manufactured a "problem" which allows them to screw over their customers and, bafflingly, get them to pay for the privilege.

Today there are over 40 servers that have declined since Wrath and are now in even worse shape than Gorg. These realms comprise over a million players who, through no fault of their own, have virtually no means to participate in many of the activities that make this game fun.

Blizzard does not care about their customers, so I cannot continue to support them.
Edited by Lycanthat on 2/22/2013 10:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Even though i dont play much anymore it was hard to see tempest leave. Its even harder to log on and see no chat what so ever in trade or general. ive been playing on Gorg since few months after wow came out and loved the server.

Even liked getting ganked by the horde in duskwood, hell i still remember the name (40 oz) and apedog. but seeing gorg and other servers i have friends on with low pops just makes me upset that blizzard isnt working faster on the issue and i hope they do something soon.

i hope tempest does good in their new home, but i couldnt leave old gorg, think its almost time to turn off the accounts again for some rest. atleast till they address the low pop problem.

Good luck Nameless hope you all do good and own the new server.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]