50 shades of sh.....

87 Night Elf Death Knight
It's an issue because BDSM has a pretty bad rep as it is, as people simply don't understand that there's actual rules and respect behind it, and with some of the ridiculous and degrading things that happen in that book, it only gets worse. Sure, the author wasn't planning on writing a bestseller, but I can't help but feel a little jaded that this woman published without even taking two minutes to look up what she was writing about, because it gives people all the wrong messages about BDSM, which already seems derogatory and misogynistic to the general population.

this right here. thanks to 50 shades and it's obscene level of popularity, society, steered by the media, is now looking at BDSM from an even more skewed frame of reference than before. real BDSM between two(or more) people is built upon pillars of trust and responsibility, and just because someone "submits" doesn't make them a lesser person, and definitely doesn't make them lesser in the relationship. certain friends of mine who are into some serious kink think 50 shades might be the worst thing that's ever happened to BDSM as far as public opinion goes, because now millions of people have become armchair experts and weekend warriors and they totally don't get it. 50 shades is to real bdsm as debbie does dallas is to real romantic sex.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/13/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Kåt
how can anyone write such a pile of badly written crap and sell it to thousands of people?

Reality TV says, "HI!"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
For me, the issue was not that it was erotica. The issue was that it put a really negative and unhealthy portrayle of sub/dom relationships into the public eye. Much of what went on in that book was not bdsm, it was boarderline abusive.

The more kinkier sexual activities need a strong mantra of safety first. Both mental and physical.
Reply Quote
You know...Books, are like movies. Or food. Or politics. Or sexual orientation.

After all, it's all a question of Preference.

X not liking something does not therefore make it bad.
Y liking it doesn't make it good.
Someone's opinion doesn't make it right or wrong, good or bad.

It's a matter of preference. You can say you liked it, you can say you didn't. But because you didn't like it doesn't make it an horrible thing. Especially if you talk about something that sold millions of copies...

My opinion?
I'm not a fan, I read the first one, got halfway trough the second, never made it to the third one.

Oh, and watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8Lr_HL3eY

I found it terribly funny.
Edited by Miiyaa on 5/7/2013 12:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Well, the reading world is divided into two parts: academic and commercial; I feel both have a valid home. Works with literary value tend to appeal to the more intellectual crowd, but commercial literature appeals to everyone. We all have our guilty reading pleasures.

Am I arguing against your position on 50 Shades? Not at all. I'm with you on that, but the fact that it doesn't have as much literary or academic value as Moby Dick or LotR doesn't mean it isn't a good commercial read ;)
Reply Quote
Well, the reading world is divided into two parts: academic and commercial; I feel both have a valid home. Works with literary value tend to appeal to the more intellectual crowd, but commercial literature appeals to everyone. We all have our guilty reading pleasures.

Am I arguing against your position on 50 Shades? Not at all. I'm with you on that, but the fact that it doesn't have as much literary or academic value as Moby Dick or LotR doesn't mean it isn't a good commercial read ;)

I think this is a pretty good answer...Although, to have an commercial value....Some people (A WHOLE LOT ) of people must like it...Surprisingly, the critics were incredible...Got very disappointed when I read it...It's a matter of taste I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
.It's a matter of taste I guess.

I think your answer is better than mine. Just about everything boils down to this, I imagine.
Reply Quote
Skurd
.It's a matter of taste I guess.

I think your answer is better than mine. Just about everything boils down to this, I imagine.

/hug
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's funny about all the comparisons to Twilight, given that 50 Shades is Twilight fanfic with the names changed(and I'm not kidding). Googling will find where someone fed it into a comparison of the fanfic in question. The author changed names and sold it(and the companies like to pretend it's a wholly unique work).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
i let twilight off the hook because it was catered to a demographic that reads books quite possibly the least. its not meant to be a literary work of art.

this however was geared towards adults. adults are supposed to have standards are they not? and the whole backstory behind how this became a book baffles me. fan fictions always absurdly over-the-top sexual fantasies for characters that didnt satisfy their shipping needs. so they do it themselves and its added to the pile on fanfiction and deviantart. what makes this one so special.

PLUS, this author isnt some high school girl. shes like 45 and a mother of 2 i heard! what?!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]