Why can't Shamans use swords?

I've had a set of warglaives in my bank, AND a half of Thunderfury. I don't exactly get why they can't use them, I mean they already use axes, maces and fist weapons, why not let us equip swords?
Reply Quote
Still looking for an answer
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Before you spark another lore vs mechanics rap battle of history, you ain't getting a satisfying answer
Reply Quote
Not trying to, really. I just would love to use warglaives and other swords.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have a thunder fury, it's my only legendary and I can't equip it :(
Reply Quote
There have to be limits for every class regarding equip-able items. In this case it makes more sense to deprive Shaman of swords than any other class that currently equips them.

There ya go.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
There have to be limits for every class regarding equip-able items. In this case it makes more sense to deprive Shaman of swords than any other class that currently equips them.

There ya go.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

There ya go.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Weapon types are arbitrarily assigned by Blizzard. I assume this is to add to the difference in feel between classes, but in my mind it's just goofy. I thought so in 2004, and I think so now.

There certainly doesn't have to be a weapon type exclusion for a class; in my opinion, it's just bad mechanics that breaks the underlying logic of any game - unless of course there is a reason provided by the writers of the game. There isn't any in WoW.

All that said, it's a minor issue in this game, so I've just accepted it. I suggest a similar philosophy, since dwelling on what you would prefer over what you get in something that isn't really important just adds to your sense of dissatisfaction, and who needs a reason to be dissatisfied with a game you otherwise enjoy? Not me, so I just let these things go. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
It's an old RPG thing - healers (and remember, in vanilla, we were healers) don't use bladed weapons.

Axes were added for Enhancement, but again, not our primary thing.
Daggers were added for Ele.
Fists were flavor from Orcs - original Orc Shaman art showed them with claw weapons. And since they're technically blunt, they counted.

I don't disagree that back in wrath, it would have been nicer to give Shamans swords then Rogues axes. I guess someone had a premonition about Ratonhnhaké:ton from AC3.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

There ya go.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

There ya go.

I haven't raided much, but it seems like the days of fighting over loot is gone, no? That doesn't seem like it's that much of a problem anymore.

It seems like shamans were design with a native american theme: Spirits, ancestral, one with nature and the elements, and our ever so awesome totems poles. Swords are the weapon of the white man! Axes used to be the go-to weapon for awhile for enhance since you wanted a longer attack speed and that always made complete sense to me.

Asking to give shamans swords, in my opinion, is like asking to give them bat wings. It just doesn't fit the overall theme.
Edited by Chumpoo on 2/14/2013 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
One thing i'm a little curious about. With some of the transmog restrictions being lifted in 5.2, will we able to mog axes into swords then? Or do we still have to be able to equip swords first before we can use the graphics?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/15/2013 09:15 PMPosted by Nikopol
we still have to be able to equip swords first before we can use the graphics
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
And while we're at it, why can't priests use swords? The caster swords aren't even swung. They just sit there as stat sticks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Why can't every class use every weapon type?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/16/2013 11:15 AMPosted by Rude
Why can't every class use every weapon type?

Every race learned how to preform martial arts in the exact same way in a relatively short time.

Yet shamans in all the in-game years haven't figured out the pointy end of the sword doesn't go in your hand?

(It's also so resto/ele don't get access to every caster weapon, I guess the tech for individual spec weapon specialties doesn't exist cause we really should be able to trade off daggers for swords)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I think maces should be removed from Rogues and Monks, they arnt very rogue like or ninja like. THey use swords, more befitting their classes. Their puny wimpy frames cannot wield a heavy manly mace.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]