High elves getting way to much face time.

Can we put Darmonic in the rocket too so he can stop making posts?

fixt
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
The Pandaren provide much needed fat jokes.

Which is another thing we no longer need Ogres for.

Well, they can always create 'dumb-fat-ogre' jokes.

I was even thinking about a female Ogre that have a different concept of Ogre, like they did with Red Pandas for Pandaren. I think it's worth doing. They could be really badass with those "japanese" types of ogre. Just keep them like real brutes, not fat, but definitely not like the Worgen or Pandaren, more like Orc female, more than that, and they will be really cool.

Perhaps I should be more specific - It makes no sense to want Ogres. Like I said, everything that the Ogres could bring to the Horde, is already in the Horde. We have multiple races of strong, deadly brutes, we have multiple races of magically-inclined spellcasters, and both the Goblins and (to a somewhat lesser extent) the Pandaren fufill the "comic relief" role.

There's no such thing as "sense" when it comes to "wanting" something.

And really, if the logic of "bringing something" were a rule to create races, then half of the playable race should be cut or a good bunch of classes should be removed from each race, because of them bring something others already bring.
Reply Quote
The Pandaren provide much needed fat jokes.

Which is another thing we no longer need Ogres for.

Well, they can always create 'dumb-fat-ogre' jokes.

I was even thinking about a female Ogre that have a different concept of Ogre, like they did with Red Pandas for Pandaren. I think it's worth doing. They could be really badass with those "japanese" types of ogre. Just keep them like real brutes, not fat, but definitely not like the Worgen or Pandaren, more like Orc female, more than that, and they will be really cool.

Perhaps I should be more specific - It makes no sense to want Ogres. Like I said, everything that the Ogres could bring to the Horde, is already in the Horde. We have multiple races of strong, deadly brutes, we have multiple races of magically-inclined spellcasters, and both the Goblins and (to a somewhat lesser extent) the Pandaren fufill the "comic relief" role.

There's no such thing as "sense" when it comes to "wanting" something.

And really, if the logic of "bringing something" were a rule to create races, then half of the playable race should be cut or a good bunch of classes should be removed from each race, because of them bring something others already bring.

We don't even know if they exist, I mean Their are no male harpies, the female harpies capture males and "Rape" them to reproduce and keep their species going ogres could easily do the same thing... I mean I could see the ogres going into orc villages stealing their women.

But then their is Rexar who is half orc and half ogre... so ogre women have to exist because not every ogre looks like Rexar.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Now, I still pretty much expect high elves to be the next Alliance race, owing to the fact that a 7 year old post from a community manager that no longer works at Blizzard probably doesn't hold too much weight in current decision making and with the population sizes this game has it can actually support a pretty heavy population imbalance. But we'll see.

I agree about the statement about population, and people are still uber anal about it.

Though something just hit me. I believe that there is the distinct possibility that the High Elves are being set up for Allerias return. There is fun idea that she could come back akin to a Blood Elf due to being in Outland and without the Sunwell, but the Elves of Allerian Stronghold remained as High Elves, so she'll likely remain a High Elf.

She'll probably return to lead them as a united people, much like Vereesa leads the Silver Covenant.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 08:25 PMPosted by Seebach
Can we put Darmonic in the rocket too so he can stop making posts?

fixt

Haters/Trolls everywhere.

02/17/2013 10:42 PMPosted by Selesnya
Now, I still pretty much expect high elves to be the next Alliance race, owing to the fact that a 7 year old post from a community manager that no longer works at Blizzard probably doesn't hold too much weight in current decision making and with the population sizes this game has it can actually support a pretty heavy population imbalance. But we'll see.

I agree about the statement about population, and people are still uber anal about it.

Though something just hit me. I believe that there is the distinct possibility that the High Elves are being set up for Allerias return. There is fun idea that she could come back akin to a Blood Elf due to being in Outland and without the Sunwell, but the Elves of Allerian Stronghold remained as High Elves, so she'll likely remain a High Elf.

She'll probably return to lead them as a united people, much like Vereesa leads the Silver Covenant.

"The High Elves of the Quel'Lithien Lodge have become Wretched, revealing that both high and blood elves can become Wretched."

With knowing that High elves shouldn't exist since not feeding your addiction or overfeeding turns you into a wretched. Please remove high elves.
Edited by Darmonic on 2/17/2013 11:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Elves in general are getting too much face time. Draenei have gotten the short end of the stick. Hopefully a Sargeras expansion rectifies that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
"The High Elves of the Quel'Lithien Lodge have become Wretched, revealing that both high and blood elves can become Wretched."

With knowing that High elves shouldn't exist since not feeding your addiction or overfeeding turns you into a wretched. Please remove high elves.

Only overfeeding will turn an Elf into a Wretched. Many Blood Elven quests demonstrate this fact. The High Elves of Quel'Lithien became Wretched due to a corrupted artifact.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

That's not what turned the elves at Quel'Lithien Lodge into Wretched. They came across some sort of magical artifact that caused them to mutate.

That's also why the high elves in Allerian Stronghold, Dalaran, and other places didn't become Wretched.

Edit: What Selesnya said.
Edited by Gibbons on 2/17/2013 11:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am sure it is from not caving to your addiction so then you body just goes haywire and then you crave it extremly.

IN the blood elf starting zone when you do your arcane torrent quest it states that not feeding you hunger will turn you into a wretched.

Wretched have blue eyes.

The Wretched in the sunwell are different though they have green eyes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Elves that failed to control their magical addictions - who lacked restraint and consumed too much magic - became wretched.

The high elves controlled their addiction through meditation instead of magic. The high elves of the Alliance Expedition were stranded on Outland, cut off from the Sunwell for two decades, and they managed just fine.

The only high elves to ever become wretched were those of the Quel'Lithien Lodge, and that happened only because they came across a strange magical item that swiftly corrupted the lot of them.

Since the Sunwell was restored by Velen, the pangs of addiction left both the high elves and the blood elves. It's no longer an issue.
Reply Quote
Lets be honest, Blood Elves are normal fantasy elves that have been taken and made interesting. Most elves in fantasy games are about as bland as they come, with the only defining qualities making them even more unlikable. I really wish that lore-wise they didn't have any high elves remaining... not the safest choice to make but it would be original.
Reply Quote
"If there is only one lesson you deign to remember from your time on Sunstrider Isle, let it be this - control your thirst for magic. It is a thirst unending, <name> - what you absorb must be controlled and released via Arcane Torrent. Failure is to become one of the Wretched... hopelessly addicted and insane."

Also so the High elves in Quel'ithian lodge found a strange artifact but the high elves in outland a land destroyed and that is fel tainted and had portals opened everywhere didn't....

The only reason High elves exist is because blizzard didn't want to write them off for some strange reason.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Darmonic
The only reason High elves exist is because blizzard didn't want to write them off for some strange reason.

Like I said, for some reason High Elves are an iconic fantasy race, and keeping them was the safe choice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
"If there is only one lesson you deign to remember from your time on Sunstrider Isle, let it be this - control your thirst for magic. It is a thirst unending, <name> - what you absorb must be controlled and released via Arcane Torrent. Failure is to become one of the Wretched... hopelessly addicted and insane."

Absorbing magic would slake the pangs of addiction, but then they had to release that magic. Absorbing too much magic (and retaining it) is what would corrupt them.

When describing Felendren the Banished, they said "he lives only to feed his insatiable magical addictions" and "he refused to learn control". He was corrupted because he consumed far too much magic, not because he didn't get enough of it. It was entirely possible (if uncomfortable) for elves to survive without consuming any magic at all.
Reply Quote

Absorbing magic would slake the pangs of addiction, but then they had to release that magic. Absorbing too much magic (and retaining it) is what would corrupt them.

When describing Felendren the Banished, they said "he lives only to feed his insatiable magical addictions" and "he refused to learn control". He was corrupted because he consumed far too much magic, not because he didn't get enough of it. It was entirely possible (if uncomfortable) for elves to survive without consuming any magic at all.

This is why high elves shouldn't exist anymore because Blood elves and High elves contradict each other.

If you didn't have to feed then why do it, if you did have to feed then why didn't you.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
02/18/2013 12:05 AMPosted by Darmonic
If you didn't have to feed then why do it

Because it's easier?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I once said that they were sidekicks to humans, used only to help further the story of Jaina and the blood elves. I still think that's true, but the true sidekicks to humans race right now seems to be night elves.

Night Elves shouldn't be sidekicks to humans, and I'm pretty sure other people wouldn't like it if they were taken in that direction. Night Elf fans are already having an extremely hard time swallowing the idea of lending her troops to Varian, so this would just cause more of an uproar.

Dwarves, Gnomes, and High Elves. These are the races that make the better allies to the Humans, and yes I include High Elves in this because of how they thematically played out in the old Warcraft games. Yes, perhaps Night Elves have filled the shoes of HE as the effective "elven ranger archer" type, but I personally think Night Elves should fit that role more as a major force rather than a supplemental one.

02/17/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Jetzeppelin
He seems to be the only one willing to bring this issue to any sort of attention and for that kudos to him.

Not really, there was another thread that brought up issues about the portrayal of Alliance races being extremely lackluster. I admit that this thread's aim is more along the lines of "It's because of the High Elves!" but the issues are still quite similar.

I think the issue stems from the fact that the current story doesn't allow any room for other races to fit. As it is, the story of 5.2 is something along the lines of "two magical groups face off while also fighting the oncoming Thunder King" and that's essentially what it is. As far as the Lore has gone down, High Elves and Humans have been portrayed as the strongest magically inclined races in the game that rival the Blood Elves.

You'd think Highborne or Draenei would be as up to snuff, but unfortunately we have only seen how inferior these races are to Blood Elves. Azshara specifically showed how a small group of Blood Elves outwitted a battalion of Night Elf Mages because they understood the intricacies of Arcane Golems much better. As far as Draenei are concerned, we've never gotten to see just how well versed in Arcane they really are, and they've never shown to care about what other races understand about it.

That's not to say I'm okay with any of this. I most certainly am not, but this is pretty much how the ship's been sailing. I would have absolutely loved to see the Highborne actually add something of depth to the Alliance, or if we knew more about what the Draenei care about that isn't something other than the Light, Naaru, or the Burning Legion. But this is just simply how things have developed, and even as infuriating as it is it still makes sense.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

That's not what turned the elves at Quel'Lithien Lodge into Wretched. They came across some sort of magical artifact that caused them to mutate.

That's also why the high elves in Allerian Stronghold, Dalaran, and other places didn't become Wretched.

Edit: What Selesnya said.

So Helfs are just like Belfs, but better because they have more willpower and are stronger/smarter?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is why high elves shouldn't exist anymore because Blood elves and High elves contradict each other.

There were no contradictions in the post you quoted.

If you didn't have to feed then why do it

Magical withdrawal was painful for the elves (in the same way one's stomach will hurt when they get really hungry), but it wasn't fatal.

Consuming magic made those pains go away. That's why the blood elves did it. They didn't need magic to survive, but they didn't want to be in a state of perpetual discomfort. Unfortunately, consuming too much magic would corrupt them - that's why they'd turn wretched unless they regularly released that magic (via arcane torrent).

The high elves chose not to consume magic (at least not to the same extent the blood elves did), and as a result they would have been in almost constant pain until the Sunwell was restored... but through meditation, willpower and determination, they managed to tough it out and get used to that.
Reply Quote
That still doesn't excuse that 90% of the Elves died, 9% became blood elves 1% stayed High elves, yet we have a high elf faction and see them all over the 5.2 patch. They should be a rare sight like the ogres.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]