Blizzard contradicting Night elf lore again?

100 Human Warrior
So, as a player from WC3 and Vanilla, I had always been under the impression that wisps were Night elven spirits. This of course was backed by instances like the NE racial in the game. Then, for some reason or another I was looking up the NE artifacts from archaeology and I took a look at the description of the wisp amulet. On the wisp amulet, it says that wisps were once thought to be spirits of the Night elven dead. But they're actually just nature spirits that help the Night elves. Okay, I didn't think anything of this at first, until I saw an NE die and turn into a wisp, and remembered they have that racial (I have an NE, so this is embarrassing for me. Shows how much I pay attention), so that amulet doesn't make a lick of sense now.

How can they merely be nature spirits when we know when Night elves die they turn into wisps?
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
"This beautiful amulet is formed of loops and angles of bright golds, framing a large tear-drop emerald. Within the depths of the emerald you can see a small glowing sphere with a vaguely night elf face. The sphere seems to move about within the emerald, not trapped exactly as much as flitting about like an insect."

"Wisps are nature spirits thought to be dead night elves. They exist in tight connection with their forest homeland and night elves in general, performing such beneficial activities as construction, repair and defense of elven communities. Many wisps sacrificed themselves in order to defeat Archimonde at the end of the Third War, so there are fewer wisps today than there once were."

This is what wowpedia is telling me the amulet says, and I'm not seeing the contradiction.

\(0.o)/
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Oh, my mistake. I must have been groggy and misread. Disregard the thread then.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
Just to sort of hijack the thread, what I think is interesting is that thus far all the Ancients have just been supercharged versions of whatever they represent. Aessina is just a really powerful wisp. Wonder what that could mean.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
When she pops...She'd dispel every summoned pet on Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
She tickles 25 lumber per second off of trees? At least I always imagined they tickled it :-/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
02/18/2013 08:34 AMPosted by Gandred
Just to sort of hijack the thread, what I think is interesting is that thus far all the Ancients have just been supercharged versions of whatever they represent. Aessina is just a really powerful wisp. Wonder what that could mean.

Given the response in the Blizzard Magazine, specifically that Aessina said she may have created the Grell, it implies she is capable of creating new forms of life and may be responsible for fey creatures, like wisps, grell and faerie dragons.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Melyria, something is a little different about your portrait.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
-tents fingers-
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
Well, here is a novel idea. How about the archaeologists do a little more thorough cross referencing of their material, like most serious scholars are supposed to do, and find out that the evolution of Night Elves from Dark Trolls is a possible theory of their origin, not gospel? What if they find multiple plausible origins to not only Night Elves, but Dwarves and Gnomes as well, so that parts of their origin still remain a mystery?

This is especially important for the Night Elves because in their original conception, there was a possibility that their biology and spirits were so malleable that they might be of the same race as the Children of Cenarius, and that the spiritual link between them and the wisps and tree ancients might be as close as one and the same. In my video game addled opinion, this is much more interesting than abusing the ideas of Charles Darwin, and spitting in the faces of actual archaeologists and historians while attempting to apply them to fantasy races.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
How about they crap on the Dark Troll Night Elf theory just to add more uniqueness to the race. Same thing with Humans,Dwarves,Gnomes. Etc etc.

I know this is a insane concept we have to acknowledge but it can work!
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
How about they crap on the Dark Troll Night Elf theory just to add more uniqueness to the race. Same thing with Humans,Dwarves,Gnomes. Etc etc.

I know this is a insane concept we have to acknowledge but it can work!

I like the way you think
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Just wait till they reveal Elune as a Loa... The gutting of Nelf lore would be complete, you are now just pretty trolls
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
They will probably try that since the Dark Troll crap doesn't seem to have drawn as much heat as them proposing that Elune was a Naaru.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/18/2013 01:19 PMPosted by Lucinthian
Just wait till they reveal Elune as a Loa... The gutting of Nelf lore would be complete, you are now just pretty trolls

As a big Night Elf fan, I have no problem with this.

Loa is just another word for Ancient now, anyway. They're all forces of nature (literally), and they've even argued within the Cenarion Circle about the correct nomenclature.

I see Elune as just a really powerful Ancient.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
I don't like the idea of Elune's placement in WoW's theology being so well defined. Elune is one of the few creatures Blizzard has shown a modicum of tact with. She can have an enormous impact on the world and has practically created Night Elven society, however, she is not completely defined. It is good that we don't see her depicted with the exception of the statue in the Temple of the Moon. If we see her at all it should be through Tyrande, and in such moments, it shouldn't be clear if we are seeing one or the other. And no, neither the Loa nor the Ancient Guardians should behave this way.

But, if I had no option but to choose, I would prefer that she have more in common with the Loa and Ancient Guardians than the Naaru.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I'd prefer it if it they'd be hands off from Elune myself, but people keep asking bothersome questions, and we keep getting bothersome answers.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Just wait till they reveal Elune as a Loa... The gutting of Nelf lore would be complete, you are now just trolls

Fixed.

*runs hand through hair and adjusts makeup*
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
02/19/2013 07:05 PMPosted by Kyalin
I'd prefer it if it they'd be hands off from Elune myself, but people keep asking bothersome questions, and we keep getting bothersome answers.

See, I'm in an odd boat as far as most Night Elf fans go in that I don't feel that Night Elves being decedent from trolls is inherently a bad idea. Now, I argued against the fact ardently, but that's because the current lore at the time, despite the theory introduced by Blizzard, all said "no, they ain't trolls". It's, despite the theory, a retcon that made them trolls. Or, at the least, the transformation that took place was a retcon.

Other than the dislike for retcons though the theory itself, like much of Blizzard's ideas, has a lot of potential to be engaging, deep lore. Even Elune being a Loa wouldn't be bad if it's done properly. But she'd have to be a pretty heavy duty Loa, at least on the level of a full strength Hakkar. Someone who influences the very world by just being in the area.

It was an old theory of mine (and I think I was discussing it with Kel) that the Zandalari were so hellbent on stopping Hakkar because they had seen Elune "ascend" to a higher state of Loa via blood sacrifices, but this is something I had come up with when Elune had just been revealed to dig sacrifices and all that jazz.

Of course, as it stands, of the three major powers on or introduced in Azeroth, Elune STILL fits the Old God mold more closely than the Loa or Naaru mold. Creating horrid creatures to guard certain areas, giving Tyrande visions that work in favor of the Old Gods, letting Illidan finish his spell that the Old Gods themselves strengthened before she let Tyrande out, the sacrifice thing, Elune still being plenty powerful in the End Time, but leaving Tyrande and the Night Elves to suffer.

Not that I'm a fan of Elune being an Old God either, but if you "had" to put a tag on her, she's currently got more similarities with them than any other "power" out there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]