Blizzards rootkit

90 Tauren Hunter
Hi,I would assume that I'm not the only player who has noticed that Blizzard has included a rootkit (tracker) in the last update ? ( it shows up on my virus and malware scans ! ) I personally find it offensive. We all pay to play and there is no good reason for such underhanded behavior on the part of the people we need to trust. I'd suggest a protest. Its' all about strength and honor...right?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
Hrm, this is the first I've heard any about that (I know about Warden of course, but..)

Where's some reliable information we can read up on this?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Well,the best place imho would be to use your own version (s) of a spyware scan and a decent anti-virus.The results speak for themselves.I'm honestly shocked and more that disappointed.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
Could you tell us something about this supposed rootkit, what your AV identifies it as to start with?

Also could you tell us what AV/malware scanner you're using? AVG has become notorious for false positives in recent years.
Edited by Corrock on 2/18/2013 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
What rootkit? What tracer?

How about some specificity instead of vague claims that may or may not be true?

Perfectly legitimate parts of WoW have been flagged as "viruses" by certain programs - known as false positives - for years now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Hi,surely I can,no problem.I currently use Spybot S&D, and Avira AV and the rootkit shows on both. I'm not sure I would call that "supposed". See for yourself,I wish it weren't true.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Please detail what your programs are flagging.

I'm not going to change mine, which aren't detecting anything.

Aside from Warden, which has a purpose, do you think or expect us to believe that Blizzard is building spyware into its program?
Reply Quote
19 Tauren Druid
Hi,surely I can,no problem.I currently use Spybot S&D, and Avira AV and the rootkit shows on both. I'm not sure I would call that "supposed". See for yourself,I wish it weren't true.

Spybot doesn't show it for me, neither does Malwarebytes nor Adaware. I think you picked this up somewhere else, not from Blizzard. It's just named Blizzard to trick you into allowing it.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
I know we are not supposed to attack other posters...BUT...in this case it is not an attack, it is just stating an obvious fact....OP...YOU ARE A MORON!!!
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
Just finished a Spybot scan and it shows nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

~C.Sagan
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/18/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Bankho
do remember, blizz for a great long while sent all our info to a colleges computer, some testing or something they did, and then forgot to turn it off, so I don't doubt a root kit to spy/track you after and before you play wow, you know to help target you with advertisements on the launcher

oh man is that even a hat

it looks like you just shoved a life-size model of mount everest made out of tin foil up on there
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Blizzard has Warden.. which its had forever... and which you have granted permission for them to use on your computer.

Scanned here repeatedly... nothing. Not the slightest hint of a rootkit or anything improper at all.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
do remember, blizz for a great long while sent all our info to a colleges computer, some testing or something they did, and then forgot to turn it off, so I don't doubt a root kit to spy/track you after and before you play wow, you know to help target you with advertisements on the launcher

Oh you mean the part where we were told by Blizzard that Blizzard was collecting our CPU specs and whatnot so that Blizzard could target its games better towards its consumers needs? The same thing every other game company does whenever you register a game.
Edited by Draug on 2/18/2013 12:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
11 Draenei Paladin

The only adverts I have ever seen on the launcher are for wow related products, those crafty buggers!
Edited by Judgernaught on 2/18/2013 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
02/18/2013 12:12 PMPosted by Bankho
I take it you are new here and do not remember this being posted in forums, confirmed by blizz and fixed

I think I speak for us all when I say, Source?
Edited by Corrock on 2/18/2013 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Troll Death Knight

Blizzard =/= Google :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just upgraded and ran Spybot S&D 1.6.2.

Nothing.

Ditto with an AVG scan with Anti-Rootkit active.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]