Solution for NPC Scan

100 Orc Hunter
I just made a batch file to delete creaturecache.wdb for NPCScan. If you're interested it works like this. Note: I have Windows 7, this should work for Vista as well as XP as well.

1. Find your World of Warcraft Folder (Where all the exe's are Wow.exe WoW-64.exe etc..) and right click where on the folder create a new notepad file and save as "Wow.bat" BUT when you're saving as make sure you set the file to ALL FILES. You don't need to type anything into this yet, after saving it the icon should change to a cog wheel and when moused over, it should read as a Batch File. (If there is no notepad option, go to start > accessories > notepad and click save as and find the WoW folder and save in there, follow above step for batch file).
2. Next after the notepad closes go to Cache > WDB > enUS in your World of Warcraft Folder and right click on creaturecache.wdb and select properties.
3. Once the properties window pops up, find location (on the first tab) click and drag your mouse over it to select the destination (I.E. C:\Users\Games etc etc..) and copy it (ctrl + c).
4. Open the batch file you just made and add this line in (You should be able to edit it with notepad if you created it with notepad. If you can not, I suggest downloading 7-Zip. It works wonders. If you have 7-Zip and you need to open it, Right click on it, mouse over 7-Zip and click Open Archive, This will allow you to edit it).

del followed by the destination with " " before and after (after del), so for my destination looks like this

del "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb"

Note the "" before and after
5. You have two choices or you can make 2 batch files, if you like using the WoW Launcher to pop up find 'World of Warcraft Launcher' and do the same thing you did for the creaturecache.wdb, copy the location (after right clicking and going to properties) and paste it into the batch file BUT you must add these lines, I'll use mine as an example again.

start "" "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Wow-64.exe"

I have 2 seperate batch files exactly the same, except my other batch file has a second line like this

start "" "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\World of Warcraft Launcher.exe"
6. To complete this batch file, all you need to do is add in exit for the 3rd line. So if done correctly your batch file should look like this:

del "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb"
start "" "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Wow-64.exe"
exit

Once you double click the batch file, the cmd window will pop up, it will show the first 2 lines you entered, the first deleting the creaturecache.wdb and the second starting up the .exe you want.

Final step: If you like to have the WoW Icon you can do this, right click on the new batch file and select "Create Shortcut." Once it's created drag and drop the shortcut to the desktop. Once it's there right click on it, you can choose to rename it to let's say "World of Warcraft." After you rename it you can also change the icon, right click on the shortcut and select properties again. Under the 'Shortcut' tab (there's 8) you can select 'Change Icon'. Once you're there click browse and find your wow folder, select any wow.exe files and the WoW icon will pop up, select it, click ok. Click Apply > Ok and you're finished.

If you followed all these steps and your batch file looks like mine with a shortcut on the desktop, you're done! You never have to manually delete creaturecache.wdb anymore. This cmd will do it for you!! If you're confused at all by my steps or you think I should re-write it to be more descriptive tell me and I'll change some stuff. To me it seems fine and simple.
Edited by Yobhguod on 2/18/2013 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Bump
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I never have to manually delete what? I never do anyways. Not sure what this is supposed to do.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
02/18/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Dannysr
I never have to manually delete what? I never do anyways. Not sure what this is supposed to do.

It's for NPC Scan, an addon that looks for rare mobs in a 100 yard radius around your character, when you fly by a mini-window pops up and displays a picture of him, when you click on the little window that pops up it target him and puts a green triangle on his head. It then shows you found him and you can no longer have the npcscan go off until you delete the said NPCScan.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I think _NPCScan already tells you to do this (at least its official website), anyways or something very similar.

Of course, I suppose not everybody knows enough DOS to write a *.bat file, or even knows how to write a *.bat file in the first place, let alone knows what that actually does.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I think _NPCScan already tells you to do this (at least its official website), anyways or something very similar.

Of course, I suppose not everybody knows enough DOS to write a *.bat file, or even knows how to write a *.bat file in the first place, let alone knows what that actually does.

I write .cmd files. They are better than .bat files!

Ahm... anyway though... I believe it is against the ToS to modify game files in this manner. I could be wrong because it is an WDB file.. but I think it's still against ToS.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

I write .cmd files. They are better than .bat files!

Ahm... anyway though... I believe it is against the ToS to modify game files in this manner. I could be wrong because it is an WDB file.. but I think it's still against ToS.

That's kinda a grey area.

Blizz knows we do it, and in the past they said that it is unsupported, but they've never actually labelled it "forbidden behavior" or "bannable offense".

in fact, they tell you to regularly clear your WTF/Cache folders as part of the debugging process anyways anytime you run into ANY problem, that's the first thing they tell you to do: Clear your Cache Files/WTF.

If they didn't want players deleting said files, then they wouldn't tell you to do that. Now, of course, that's for debugging purposes, but nearly anything that keeps a cache will run faster/smoother if you periodically clear it anyways, even without bugs.

Clearing cache files is usually an accepted and common practice in computing in general.

Also, they don't seem to mind modifying sound files (such as placing empty .ogg files in select folders to get rid of annoying sounds, such as worgen sniffing and /train emotes). If they didn't want us doing things like that, then they wouldn't allow that to be possible to begin with; it wouldn't be too terribly hard to code the game so that it ONLY reads from the MPQ files, instead of ALSO loading files stuck in the correct file paths.

There are limits though -- if they're using said file modifications for actual in-game gain, then that could be against the ToS. Technically, _NPCScan gives you an in-game gain, but yet NPCScan itself doesn't clear the cache files, and I'd think there'd be few ways to prove you cleared the creaturecache.wdb file just for NPC scan, or because of other reasons.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
@Chihua

Yeah, I'm not entirely positive here about wdb files. However players should be careful.

I know that the reason they forbid it mostly comes down to it allowing people to exploit with things like wall-hacking. If you aren't exploiting then, in practice, there's probably not much to worry about.. but it's still best to know the rules.

Unfortunately here I'm not entirely certain.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
@Chihua

Yeah, I'm not entirely positive here about wdb files. However players should be careful.

I know that the reason they forbid it mostly comes down to it allowing people to exploit with things like wall-hacking. If you aren't exploiting then, in practice, there's probably not much to worry about.. but it's still best to know the rules.

Unfortunately here I'm not entirely certain.

Yeah, the general rule is to don't screw with the game in ways it wasn't intended.

Of course, wall-hacking and such is quite obviously a derpy move.

Clearing the game cache files so that _NPCScan will actually function? I wouldn't call that an "exploit". In fact, they really should make it so that rares are automatically cleared from the cache anyways for that reason. That way we wouldn't need to delete the file in the first place.

The stupid rares are hard enough to find, and they don't really drop anything all THAT great that Blizz needs to make them even harder to get than they already are, so I don't see the big deal about letting us actually see them a little easier.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't see how clearing the cache would be against the rules whatsoever. It's not modifying any files, it's just deleting the cache which will automatically update itself when you play again. Plus it helps the game run faster.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
To even try and claim the OPs post breaks the tos is ridiculous. You're doing nothing more than deleting a single file which rebuilds itself on startup and the batch file just deletes it then starts the game with a single click.
Edited by Alvistus on 2/18/2013 2:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/18/2013 02:32 PMPosted by Alvistus
To even try and claim the OPs post breaks the tos is ridiculous. You're doing nothing more than deleting a single file which rebuilds itself on startup and the batch file just deletes it then starts the game with a single click.

Well, TECHNICALLY, deleting ANY file in the WoW directory beyond the Interface folder is "Modifying the Game Files" which the ToS tells you not to do.

However, the said files are cache files, AND Blizzard TELLS us to clear those periodically anyways.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
02/18/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Chihua

Well, TECHNICALLY, deleting ANY file in the WoW directory beyond the Interface folder is "Modifying the Game Files" which the ToS tells you not to do.

However, the said files are cache files, AND Blizzard TELLS us to clear those periodically anyways.

Yeah... the more I think about it, the more I think this would be okay as it's part of the cache.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Yeah... the more I think about it, the more I think this would be okay as it's part of the cache.

Also, a Blizz employee once said "It [deleting the file] is unsupported, BUT, you can find the creaturecache.wdb in...." (pp)

When Win7 first came out and some people were having VirtualStore problems, where some computers were storing the files in VirtualStore instead of the WoW directory.

Now, if they didn't want us deleting that for NPCScan (the person asking the question specifically said it was for NPCScan), wouldn't the employee have said that's against the rules, and/or decided to NOT tell us where that file is?
Edited by Chihua on 2/18/2013 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

3. Once the properties window pops up, find location (on the first tab) click and drag your mouse over it to select the destination (I.E. C:\Users\Games etc etc..) and copy it (ctrl + v).

you have a typo in your post its ctrl-C to copy not V, V is to paste

I wish there was a way to make the green triangle bigger or some kind of arrow on the UI to point which way they are lol, finding Lady LaLa in Va`Shiir was driving me up the wall
Edited by Zedara on 2/18/2013 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
02/18/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Chihua

Also, a Blizz employee once said "It [deleting the file] is unsupported, BUT, you can find the creaturecache.wdb in...." (pp)

When Win7 first came out and some people were having VirtualStore problems, where some computers were storing the files in VirtualStore instead of the WoW directory.

Now, if they didn't want us deleting that for NPCScan (the person asking the question specifically said it was for NPCScan), wouldn't the employee have said that's against the rules, and/or decided to NOT tell us where that file is?

Heh, I read that as a wink-wink nudge-nudge thing.

I moved into a place once that already had cable, somehow. The landlord had only said "You can get cable if you want to... but you might try plugging your tv in first just to see..."

Wink wink
Nudge nudge
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Heh, I read that as a wink-wink nudge-nudge thing.

I moved into a place once that already had cable, somehow. The landlord had only said "You can get cable if you want to... but you might try plugging your tv in first just to see..."

Wink wink
Nudge nudge

Perhaps it coulda been like that. Oh well, I've never heard of someone getting in trouble for NPCScan, soooooo.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Yeah I see nothing wrong with deleting the creaturecache.wdb. It's the same thing if you don't want any addons you delete the interface folder, thus WoW redownloads the files you need.

Can we get a blue to post about this? I'm pretty sure this isn't against the ToS. I've been doing this since 2009 when I first heard about NPC Scan right before I heard about cata. I just finally realized I can make a batch file to execute the delete for me.

3. Once the properties window pops up, find location (on the first tab) click and drag your mouse over it to select the destination (I.E. C:\Users\Games etc etc..) and copy it (ctrl + v).

you have a typo in your post its ctrl-C to copy not V, V is to paste

I wish there was a way to make the green triangle bigger or some kind of arrow on the UI to point which way they are lol, finding Lady LaLa in Va`Shiir was driving me up the wall

Thanks Updated!! ^_^

Edit: Plus if this was against the ToS wouldn't blizzard take this down?

Found what you're talking about, This is the line I found

BLIZZARD ToS (Simply copying and pasting off your website blizzard <3)

Additional License Limitations.

The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Service or the Game Client in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

A. ...
B. ...
C. ...
D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

Deleting is not modifying by any means so in my eyes I see nothing wrong with deleting the said file. Unless if Blizzard has one of these weird Loop Holes, it's safe ^_^
Edited by Yobhguod on 2/18/2013 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/18/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Snowfox
What is Blizzard gaining by having us manually delete a file each time we want an addon to work correctly, instead of having a batch/cmd file delete it automatically?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]