Stories YOU wanted to see happen...but didn't

- The Trolls not all dying out.

- Visiting Zandalari one day, OH WELL.

02/19/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Gandred
Trolls in general.

Funny that we've been fighting Trolls more than pretty much any other enemy in Warcraft, and we can still say we've gotten very little by way of actual story for them, eh?

Ive said it before many times, Blizzard has a burning hatred for you guys.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/19/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Kellick
Funny that we've been fighting Trolls more than pretty much any other enemy in Warcraft, and we can still say we've gotten very little by way of actual story for them, eh?

It's a shame, really. I rank them up there with Night Elves in what I'd consider the most interesting of the playable races, but largely they're just used as filler raids.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
To start off, Illidan. Just, Illidan.

I was incredibly dissapointed with Kael'thas too. I though he could have been great, leading his people to recovery and a new age. Suprisingly BC was my favorite expansion, but they missed a lot of opprotunity.

As with everyone else I'm upset about some of the racial stuff. Night Elves need not be slaves to the will of Stormwind, Dreanei need to do something, and have it reflected in-game. Worgen should retake Gilneas (yes, yes, I know the Alliance supposedly retook the zone but there's no evidence. The plague wagons are still there), although the zone is pretty much destroyed so I'm not sure what they would end up doing with it. Trolls too. We fght the bad ones all the time but the good ones aren't featured.

They've completely !@#$ed up Dalaran from the beginning.

Blood Elves and Gnomes need to get with the rebuilding.

The dwarves 'council'. It's even more of a mess than the US congress. What has happened, quite simply, is the dwarves are shown to be a stubborn race of selfish alcoholics who couldn't decide what to have for breakfast to save their hides, and have to be herded around by the Glorious, Almighty, All-Powerful, Omniscient High king Varian Wrynn, who's own son ran away from his soldiers because he couldn't stand the bickering and violence.

Pretty much all Night Elf lands are either burning, tainted, or being invaded. I guess that ties in with my earlier point but it's no less valid.

The scourge. They 'supposedly' had the ability to swarm across the face of Azeroth, absorbng everything in sight, along with all the powers of those assimilated. They 'supposedly' had the potential to become the greatest single entity we had ever faced. I accept that Arthas was holding back because it's the only plausible answer, but it was pretty anti-climatic. Even then the scourge, without it's leader, should have run amok and covered Northrend.

I'm still waiting to see the insect races do somthing interesting. I too was dissapointed with Azjol'nerub, but I retain hope.

This is really cliche and might make somebody mad, but I'm also still waiting for Demon Hunters. They could be our only chance against the Legion, and have incredible lore. That said, I don't think we need any more races or classes past that.

The August Celestials. I realize it's still early, and I'm hoping they do something truly interesting and get more screentime.

Phasing. I thought it was used really well so far in MoP, I can't understand their original reluctance. I wish they would have used it to reflect the storyline in-game more in old zones.

Ok, I'm done venting :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I think the scale of the game world prevents us from ever seeing dark trolls. There's nowhere they can believably be put and sold as having escaped our notice.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
After the defeat of Arathas the Scourge were wiped out and the threat of the Lich King was removed.

A close second was Deathwing as a manipulator rather than ROAR, BURN, DESTROY.

Me, I expected that they'd get rid of the Scourge/the Lich King (fighting Undead was getting pretty old), but keep Arthas the character.

I don't mean redemption.

I mean, all that set-up they made about how he really was pure evil, and committed to it - and how his level of commitment was his true strength (that questline in Northrend - you control Arthas as he kills all of his men, and the ghost-child tells you that his true strength wasn't in being powerful enough to do it - but in actually going through with it). He wanted that power, deep down. If he hadn't, he never would've been able to "usurp" Ner'Zhul instead of ruling together.

HE would be King. He worked hard for it, struggled, and, in the end, prevailed.

... What would be a worse fate for someone like that than to take it all away? He'd end up pathetic. Pathetic, desperate, dangerous - hated by the world, but, as ever, determined.

What would he do after? If he'd managed to escape without his sword and helmet, would he try to get his power back? Would he try to get some NEW power? There'd be many, many, many people hunting him - but he is a dangerous man even without Frostmourne.

Would we hear about him working behind the scenes? Would we also occasionally work with him when a situation came up that threatened the entire world (and by extension his utterly hopeless plans of regaining his power)?

But then it turns out there must Always Be a Lich King - and he was somehow irredeemable but still holding back the Scourge at the same time.

I really can't understand it. "The Lich King" wasn't that important. It wasn't something that had to be preserved for the sake of future storytelling. Preserving the Black Dragonflight for the future was a good idea that's turning out interesting. This was not. They've done several new stories with Scourge remnants since - but there's neither hide nor hair of the new Lich King. His existence left a lot of people seriously unsatisfied with the ending, and now he is in cold storage just in case he's ever useful again.

I sort of thought they were of the same mind when they made it clear that WOTLK's Lich King was Arthas, and not Ner'Zhul. They could've went with an "Arthas is gone" angle in WOTLK, or stuck with that silly two-people-talking voice they used in the original Naxxramas. They didn't. The character was who mattered.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
Garrosh's story in becoming a great and diverse leader. So much potential.... Wasted like nobody's business. Why Blizz? Why do you keep taking the Horde's heroes making them lolevil, killing them, or smacking them with the Neutral Bat.

Then there was Saurfang's story. Both of them actually. The younger's really gets to me as wasted potential.

OH and I forgot to mention Arthas. Just...wow Blizz. I know you wanted to just get that lingering story tied up but come on. You had an incredible amount of potential you built up. The quest with his heart made me think that he'd survive but only as a fragment of a person. Not complete but not completely soulless either. Could've come up with a better conclusion than what you had though.
Edited by Hammerlóck on 2/21/2013 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Here is an old one that I really wanted to happen back when WoW first started.

First, you kill the Dark Iron Ambassador in Gnomeregan and he drops a letter. You take the letter to Gnoarn and wait a while.

Later, this unlocks a quest for Uldaman where you are tasked to kill Galgann Firehammer, who drops another letter. The information in these communications reveals that Thermaplugg had allied with the Dark Irons before the fall of Gnomeregan, and had them redirect the troggs from Uldaman to Dun Morogh with his help.

Later, this unlocks a quest for Blackrock Depths, where you are tasked by Mekkatorque to re-kill Golem Lord Argelmach, who was given gnomish weapon technicians before the fall of Gnomeregan (explaining the lack of leprosy on them) in exchange for Dark Iron aid.

With gnomish tech out of Dark Iron hands, a threat to Ironforge removed, and a betrayal cleaned up... gnomes get a plot.
Reply Quote
The Draenei acting in a non-neutral capacity.

The reclamation of Stromgarde. And Gilneas.

The scrapped Silithus storyline. It looked like would have actually been really unnerving; having an actual impact on the player tends to be something WoW lacks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I would've loved it is the Old Gods' forces were bug races, and not a varity of elemental/iron people/naga/Dragons.

The Silithud, the Nerubians and the Mantid would be the armies of the Old Gods, with Faceless acting as shock troops and generals.

Naga would be their own force, as would the Black Dragons. The Nightmare can stay Old god though, since it was always stated to have been.

02/21/2013 06:51 AMPosted by Sylassanna
Me, I expected that they'd get rid of the Scourge/the Lich King (fighting Undead was getting pretty old), but keep Arthas the character.

No, nononono, Arthas had to die. Simple as that, I cannot see anyone sparing him, the pure outrage from Humans/Blood elves/Forsaken would be massive.
Edited by Ximothy on 2/21/2013 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/21/2013 07:49 PMPosted by Ximothy
No, nononono, Arthas had to die. Simple as that, I cannot see anyone sparing him, the pure outrage from Humans/Blood elves/Forsaken would be massive.

So what about Sylvanas?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/21/2013 04:02 AMPosted by Mohrrk
I think the scale of the game world prevents us from ever seeing dark trolls. There's nowhere they can believably be put and sold as having escaped our notice.

They live underground.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/21/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Arkturas
So what about Sylvanas?

If she's a expansion boss who wiped out three nations, I'm all for it.

She nearly has one nation under her belt.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Both factions being just as bad as the other, none of this boring good vs evil stuff.

Varian being the character he was in WOTLK, instead they decided to have the wolf-god deus ex machina away all his flaws and morph him into a mary sue. Garrosh had the opposite happen to him.

MoP should be the Alliance and Horde both trashing Pandaria with intent on conquering it, ending with Garrosh and Varian ether coming to terms with their irrational hatreds for eachother, or letting it consume them and they destroy eachother.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Both factions being just as bad as the other, none of this boring good vs evil stuff.

Varian being the character he was in WOTLK, instead they decided to have the wolf-god deus ex machina away all his flaws and morph him into a mary sue. Garrosh had the opposite happen to him.

MoP should be the Alliance and Horde both trashing Pandaria with intent on conquering it, ending with Garrosh and Varian ether coming to terms with their irrational hatreds for eachother, or letting it consume them and they destroy eachother.

I'll pass. Varian isn't a Mary Sue. What's boring ot you others may enjoy. I prefer the Alliance being moral(And before a Night Elf jumps down my throat) as a norm and very common.

I'd like to see more of the Draenei's past.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Updating the Blood Elf and Draenei starting zones.

02/19/2013 07:05 PMPosted by Rufyn
A huge Forsaken raid on Icecrown Citadel.

Agreed the Forsaken presence in Wrath was far too small.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
Please let the Blood Elves finally rebuild Silvermoon. And make Exodar airborne or something. Show that's it's working and repaired.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

I'll pass. Varian isn't a Mary Sue. What's boring ot you others may enjoy. I prefer the Alliance being moral(And before a Night Elf jumps down my throat) as a norm and very common.

I'd like to see more of the Draenei's past.

Maybe Mary Sue isnt the right word for Varian, but I still have this awful feeling that he's going to end up fist bumping the Horde players after SoO.

And I wasen't saying have the Alliance being amoral, just not have one side be "the good guys", was going for a more "why are we fighting eachother?" feel at the end, not "we're here to protect Pandaria from the Horde"

Also, as a Horde player, nothing kills your will to fight like being told you're going to lose before the expansion is even released
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/21/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Mephelis
Maybe Mary Sue isnt the right word for Varian, but I still have this awful feeling that he's going to end up fist bumping the Horde players after SoO.

I don't think Varian is a Mary Sue, pretty far from it. His wolf god powers aren't really that amazing compared to what people like Thrall, Jaina, Malfurion, etc. are given.

I know I'm going to get flak for this, but he strikes me as a fairly realistic character in Warcraft's setting. He's one of the few characters that's very militant minded and isn't a complete psychopath about it.

Also why does him fist bumping the Horde make him a Mary Sue?

02/21/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Mephelis
Also, as a Horde player, nothing kills your will to fight like being told you're going to lose before the expansion is even released

How is the Horde losing in any capacity? How can it even be interpreted as a loss when they're ousting a bad person and getting someone more respectable in charge?

Things look more equal than that.
Edited by Grimtale on 2/21/2013 10:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

I don't think Varian is a Mary Sue, pretty far from it. His wolf god powers aren't really that amazing compared to what people like Thrall, Jaina, Malfurion, etc. are given.

I know I'm going to get flak for this, but he strikes me as a fairly realistic character in Warcraft's setting. He's one of the few characters that's very militant minded and isn't a complete psychopath about it.

Also why does him fist bumping the Horde make him a Mary Sue?

As I said, Mary Sue isn't the right word, I had misspoken. I just don't like the idea of being friendly with the guy who invaded 2 of our capital cities and possibly following him around in a future expansion.

I would be like how alot of Alliance players felt weird following Thrall around and being friendly with him, except Thrall was never anti-Alliance like how Varian was anti-Horde

Edit: The Alliance will still be invading our capital and killing our leader, the end result is still the Horde being shown just how bad and evil we were and how the Alliance was right all along. Unless we get to drive the Alliance out of org as the last part of the Horde version of the raid it still feels like a defeat, the Alliance just spares us in the end
Edited by Mephelis on 2/21/2013 10:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/21/2013 10:39 PMPosted by Grimtale
How is the Horde losing in any capacity? How can it even be interpreted as a loss when they're ousting a bad person and getting someone more respectable in charge?

You can't honestly believe we wouldn't be witnessing cries of bloody murder if the Alliance got to host the end of expansion raid in Stormwind during which entire Horde armies were allowed in to kill Varian, can you?

Before MoP was even released, we were promised the Horde would spit on everything it used to be, turn its races and characters into bumbling morons or Snidely Whiplash wannabes, then turn around and get to see the final raid take place within its capital to kill its leader.

And then we see people turn around and have the gall to call that Horde bias because lo and behold, running an army roughshod into a faction's biggest city and killing its leadership means its story gets progressed along the way.

There are few things more demoralizing for a player than being made to look like an idiot and a villain (when many signed up not to play the Horde circa First War under Blackhand's bumbling, idiotic brand of generic villainy, but Thrall's Horde which had a capacity for some depth and character), being told to suffer the greatest military defeat within the history of the mmo, then being spit on by half the playerbase for it.
Edited by Kellick on 2/21/2013 11:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]