Worst tanking experience ever

63 Human Monk
I have played every single tank in this game, including a 90 warrior and 90 paladin tank and I have never yet came across a more gimped tank I have ever seen.

I have never EVER leveled through this game where I felt like I was in a situation where I knew that I was probably going to die over a small section of adds. Monks are undoubtedly the most squishiest piece of garbage I have ever seen.

If you can't pull 1 group of, lets say, 5 adds and are almost on the verge of dying (without proccing crappy defenses) then you mine as well have a warlock tank. It makes absolutely no sense that shuffle lasts 6 sec. By the time it's over, I've only gained as much chi back as I could just to use it again and it is the only thing that I can use "frequently" to save myself and it's not even that much.

This is the worst setup I have ever seen for a tank, really, it's depressingly bad.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
There are monk tanks that play the spec pretty successfully. Might want to search out some tanking advice.

Also, need a stagger addon for sure - at least that's my experience.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
There are monk tanks that play the spec pretty successfully. Might want to search out some tanking advice.

Also, need a stagger addon for sure - at least that's my experience.

Stagger addon helped immensely, but mine much like popular of towelliee's is that it glows the color of its intensity of stagger damage. I always purify asap at yellow unless guard is off cd, but usually I like purifying before then just to give myself a fresh start unless the boss just hits like a complete train & truck.

I'm not sure how BrM tanking is pre 90 since I only picked it up at 90, but keeping shuffle up 90%+ and using guard on cd really helps. If you feel like your going to die alot it might be because your healer just sucks at healing, if its a druid hopefully they pre-hot you. If its a priest hopefully they pre-hot & bubble first, if its a shaman, well earth shield hopefully.

If its a paladin...Well lets just hope they react fast enough, & mistweavers just spam soothing mist to win...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I have played every single tank in this game, including a 90 warrior and 90 paladin tank and I have never yet came across a more gimped tank I have ever seen.

I have never EVER leveled through this game where I felt like I was in a situation where I knew that I was probably going to die over a small section of adds. Monks are undoubtedly the most squishiest piece of garbage I have ever seen.

If you can't pull 1 group of, lets say, 5 adds and are almost on the verge of dying (without proccing crappy defenses) then you mine as well have a warlock tank. It makes absolutely no sense that shuffle lasts 6 sec. By the time it's over, I've only gained as much chi back as I could just to use it again and it is the only thing that I can use "frequently" to save myself and it's not even that much.

This is the worst setup I have ever seen for a tank, really, it's depressingly bad.

You're only 48, so you actually don't have everything a Monk tank actually gets to work with. They have Gift of the Ox which procs mini healing spheres to your side that you can collect for a nice FREE heal from just doing your normal attacking rotation.

It's been too long so I'm not sure what else a Monk gets between your level and higher...but as for high level...Monks are great tanks...when PLAYED WELL. I am not the best but I have learned how to use my abilities the best possible ways I can.

Shuffle lasts 6 seconds....Shield of the Righteous lasts 3 seconds...and you're complaining about short active mitigation durations? Plus Shuffle, if you blackout kick twice in a row, can last LONGER because it adds to duration instead of just refreshing to 6 (which for some reason I never noticed until recently). Monks are very squishy because they have only leather and stagger protecting them whereas Bears have a crap load of armor and Warriors and Paladins have Plate with shields.

If you're dying on normal sized pulls, it's mostly your fault for not utilizing your abilities well enough yet. Monks aren't Blood Death Knights, not anyone can roflspam and win.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

Shuffle lasts 6 seconds....Shield of the Righteous lasts 3 seconds...and you're complaining about short active mitigation durations? Plus Shuffle, if you blackout kick twice in a row, can last LONGER because it adds to duration instead of just refreshing to 6 (which for some reason I never noticed until recently). Monks are very squishy because they have only leather and stagger protecting them whereas Bears have a crap load of armor and Warriors and Paladins have Plate with shields.

I actually yesterday stacked shuffle to like 30 seconds+ in LFR X_X

Idk, just nothing else to spam really =/

Guard was on cd, nothing to purify, keeping myself under energy cap, elusive brew stacks were under 10, just the norm X_x
Reply Quote
63 Human Monk
Paladin just absorbs much more damage...all the time. Monk has to actually use every proc to survive. Shield of the Righteous is way easier to use and not necessarily as heavily reliant as blackout kick...

I mean, it just sucks trying to gain chi, only to always use it on blackout kick, it's just annoying. I can hardly get off breath of fire just because of this reason.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Paladin just absorbs much more damage...all the time. Monk has to actually use every proc to survive. Shield of the Righteous is way easier to use and not necessarily as heavily reliant as blackout kick...

I mean, it just sucks trying to gain chi, only to always use it on blackout kick, it's just annoying. I can hardly get off breath of fire just because of this reason.

You want easy? Don't play a monk.

You want an experience which rewards careful timing and an active mindset that requires constant usage of abilities? Keep leveling.

1) Don't use Breath of Fire, unless you have it glyphed. Keg Smash should be the only AoE threat ability you should be using, simply because it's effective for both damage and threat.
2) You will soon get Elusive Brew. This is one of the best forms of mitigation you get, and it rewards you for stacking DPS stats. Nothing's more satisfying that pissing off that !@#$%^- rogue who keeps trying to pull before you.
3) Guard. Guard Guard Guard Guard Guard. Don't lead with Guard, wait till you get some Vengeance stacked, then Guard and make a massive absorb shield. Make sure you Tiger Palm beforehand, it's free!
4) Expel Harm is your best friend, and if you're not using it, you should be. Keep it off of cooldown if you're not at full health.

Bear in mind that you're starting to enter territory where mobs hit very hard, which will test your ability to mitigate. Stratholme is a nightmare in this aspect, but if you keep a clear head you can do it relatively easy and leave all your DPS in the dust.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
So you're saying that Monk tanks are harder?

02/19/2013 08:05 PMPosted by Terkøiz
I can hardly get off breath of fire just because of this reason.

Breath of Fire is just for more dps, it doesn't have any defensive value.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
As you level up you use breath of fire less and less, that said I'm shocked that you're finding Monk to be the weakest tank at low levels.

Brewmasters have an immensely powerful toolkit at low levels and, of all the tanks, are the only ones at that level that have complete control over whether they live or die no matter how much you pull.

With Clash, Roll and Dizzying Haze all available very early on you should almost never feel cornered in terms of survivability in a dungeon run, however at your level there are some pretty dangerous instances for monks (Living Strath and North Dire Maul) and I'm getting the feeling that those are the reason you're unhappy with the class.

Stuns and other unbreakable CC like specific fear and horrify effects are more dangerous for monks than other classes, especially at low levels without purifying brew, because we have lower baseline mitigation and a higher reliance on avoidance.

The monk tanking experience moves around quite a bit before hitting 90 and where you are at the moment (as well at 15-29 with inexperienced or lazy healers) is a low point because of the burst damage and healing it is "balanced" around.

Don't give up because of it, you get Gift of the Ox very soon which is ridiculously overpowered before hitting 80 and Purifying Brew at 75 which makes the experience far more satisfying.

You can still use Breath of Fire without a loss to mitigation to great effect on planned mass/chain pulls through effective use of Clash, once you hit 60 you can maintain complete control of massive pulls with the Brewmaster toolkit while sitting in the thick of it (Clash, Elusive Brew, Leg Sweep, Guard and Gift of the Ox) like no other tank can.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Monk
Although I dont have as extensive tanking experience as you do, Monks seem to have the BEST capacity for mass pulling. I would say certainly better than Druids and Warriors. Probably Paladins too.

I haven't found stagger meters all that helpful. The scrolling combat text usually gets the job done for me anyway; I hardly look at the color. When I see "moderate stagger" I know to be careful, and the game makes it VERY clear when you're heavy staggered.

Gift of the Ox is beautiful for large pulls. Spinning Crane Kick will proc so many instant heals. Glyph that skill and keep on the move and your life will never drop with big pulls.

I do find TellMeWhen to be a somewhat-essential addon, though. It really helps me keep track of Shuffle. I use it to show the duration on Shuffle, as well as whether I have enough Chi for another Blackout Kick, and whether EH and KS are off cooldown, and to top it off, it shows whether Guard is still up and gives me a cast bar for Spinning Crane Kick. But the addon was really just training wheels; you get a feel for your rotations and learn how to use blackout kick as often as possible.

You should be using EH and KS on cooldown, granted you're not wasting Chi. I occasionally need to Jab to get that extra Chi, but i like using Breath of Fire for huge aoe aggro boosts, which many Brewmasters avoid (that's one less Blackout Kick you're getting). Anticipate bag situations, be aware of your healer, and watch out for those casters! Clash/Silence is helpful for grouping.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
The only thing I can complain about gift of the ox is that you have to move side to side. I'd prefer an ability button thats off the gcd that you can spam as fast as you can press, the reason being.

When I move side to side to pick up the orbs in a fast succession the mob dances so fast that it can be aggravating for melee I'm sure.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
the only problem with monk tanking is we don't get our proper tools until much later than other classes

you haven't gotten them yet

once you do get them you'll question if it's even possible for you to die
Edited by Mayliene on 2/19/2013 9:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
At least GotO isn't an issue on large bosses, but, especially for those with higher latency, moving on trash or smaller bosses can cause the mob to move in a significant way that can endanger others through cleave or cone based abilities. This can be countered in part by toggling on walk but I assume it is something Blizzard might look into improving, even if it does use the new Mistweaver model of healing after a set time (as a HoT/absorb it might be interesting.)
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk

Meanwhile, I just soloed Hellfire Ramparts at level 60, just to see if it could be done.

once you do get them you'll question if it's even possible for you to die

^
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, in short, the class is fine. You're just experiencing a PEBKAC error.
Edited by Fistlobster on 2/19/2013 10:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I haven't tanked every class, but I've cleared all of this tier on normal and am 6H/16 including some fights where I solo tanked it. We're more than viable.

You're missing half your tools. You don't have EB yet. You don't have Purifying Brew yet. I'm not even sure if you can Stagger yet.

And PS: you can stack Shuffle. Each time you BoK, six seconds gets added to the buff.
Edited by Meixie on 2/19/2013 10:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You get Stagger at 10, so yes, he can Stagger. Can he control and effectively reduce his damage through Stagger? Not without Purifying Brew, no.
Edited by Fistlobster on 2/19/2013 10:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Monk
02/19/2013 10:32 PMPosted by Fistlobster
You get Stagger at 10, so yes, he can Stagger. Can he control and effectively reduce his damage through Stagger? Not without Purifying Brew, no.

I didn't even know I had that skill for a few levels. You control yourself by avoiding more incoming damage and sustaining your own life. Tighter shuffles, elusive brews, guard, expel harm (spammable at low life), emergency cooldowns, etc.... you have more than one tool.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
[quote] If you feel like your going to die alot it might be because your healer just sucks at healing, if its a druid hopefully they pre-hot you. If its a priest hopefully they pre-hot & bubble first, if its a shaman, well earth shield hopefully.

If its a paladin...Well lets just hope they react fast enough, & mistweavers just spam soothing mist to win...

Your post made me laugh, because I remember exactly what the OP is talking about. I experienced it, in full BOA's. It wasn't THAT bad, but yeah. I TOOK DAMAGE. I have a warrior as well... by comparison, ah hell there isn't a comparison. Plate TANK vs Leather SQUISHEY. Still laughing. at how rediculously bad monk tanks can be. We had one in LFR, he got my heals up to rediculous numbers. (90k on trash) cause he took SO MUCH DAMAGE. There's a reason we see few monk tanks.

Yes healers can keep monk tanks alive, but I can much easier heal a DPS specc'ed warrior tanking. MUCH easier.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
All I heard was "Waaaa! I'm not over powered that means this class sucks!"

Seriously, I have a tank in every class over 85 and the monk is probably the most fun put of all of them, if your taking that much damage your doing something wrong, and if your using your defensive cd's CORRECTLY you wouldn't be calling them crappy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]