Worst tanking experience ever

90 Pandaren Monk
I got the Brewmaster bug bad. I'm enjoying it immensely and I think leveling one does an amazing job of adding tools one-by-one to your kit until all of a sudden it's natural to keep up shuffle, use guard, keep up tiger palm, etc. etc. BUT I do think you have to spend some time to learn the class outside of the game itself.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
[quote] If you feel like your going to die alot it might be because your healer just sucks at healing, if its a druid hopefully they pre-hot you. If its a priest hopefully they pre-hot & bubble first, if its a shaman, well earth shield hopefully.

If its a paladin...Well lets just hope they react fast enough, & mistweavers just spam soothing mist to win...

Your post made me laugh, because I remember exactly what the OP is talking about. I experienced it, in full BOA's. It wasn't THAT bad, but yeah. I TOOK DAMAGE. I have a warrior as well... by comparison, ah hell there isn't a comparison. Plate TANK vs Leather SQUISHEY. Still laughing. at how rediculously bad monk tanks can be. We had one in LFR, he got my heals up to rediculous numbers. (90k on trash) cause he took SO MUCH DAMAGE. There's a reason we see few monk tanks.

Yes healers can keep monk tanks alive, but I can much easier heal a DPS specc'ed warrior tanking. MUCH easier.

yes, there is a reason we see few monk tanks

so many of them just don't seem to know what they're doing. like you
Reply Quote
Dunno why you are having problems, guard is so stupid at low levels with heirlooms especially. I seem to remember absorbing practically all of the dmg in low level dungeons until at least cata dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
only problem Brm has (pre 5.2 yay) is they die in stuns. and with careful planning that can be avoided tho come 5.2 we wont have to worry.
Reply Quote
I've got to be honest and say that you should probably do a bit more research. This is the first tanking class I've played and its phenomenal! I normally play a Discipline/Shadow Priest (for the last 8 years) and to be honest, I'm falling more and more in love with the Monk!

Now, I know I am only 70. That being said, if you die in the lower level dungeons, your healers are terrible or you are simply running/rolling through the mobs and not clicking any of your abilities. When tanking, make sure to Tiger Palm. It's a armor pen buff as well as a buff to your Guard ability. Guard, Guard, Guard. The asorbs at lower levels is dumb, in a good way. Blackout Kick! Errday I'm shufflin' /dance.

With our asorbs, self heals, disorients, knock downs, etc. you should be able to mitigate most of your damage. Read a bit here and start enjoying the class. Even if you start to "get it" try to use your CDs as your supposed too. Learn when and why. You'll LOVE this class/spec. I hate to say it but, if this keeps going the way it is currently, I may have a new main.
Reply Quote
Your post made me laugh, because I remember exactly what the OP is talking about. I experienced it, in full BOA's. It wasn't THAT bad, but yeah. I TOOK DAMAGE. I have a warrior as well... by comparison, ah hell there isn't a comparison. Plate TANK vs Leather SQUISHEY. Still laughing. at how rediculously bad monk tanks can be. We had one in LFR, he got my heals up to rediculous numbers. (90k on trash) cause he took SO MUCH DAMAGE. There's a reason we see few monk tanks.Yes healers can keep monk tanks alive, but I can much easier heal a DPS specc'ed warrior tanking. MUCH easier.

It's funny, because I find myself tanking adds, and the sha of anger for the majority of the fight and taking less damage than the other tanks.

In lfr, I have been outgeared by prot warriors and pallies and druids, yet I hold aggro most (if not the whole time), and I take considerably less damage. Brews just have a high skill cap that many don't bother to learn.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
You can't really judge the class while leveling, at least not in the lower levels. Monks do get better the higher they get.

I remember when I hit cata content I think it was, and I tried tanking some dungeons. In there I would get destroyed, but as soon as I hit 90 and jumped into a heroic with my crappy gear I did fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Before 85+ tanking I *never* had a reason to wish I had purifying brew.

It was like I was a golden god. Out-damaging all dps, self-healing out the wazoo (Orbs are not balanced at all pre-85), and great group pulling.

Your experience seems so far from my own that I can't fathom how we are playing the same game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
We had one in LFR, he got my heals up to rediculous numbers. (90k on trash) cause he took SO MUCH DAMAGE. There's a reason we see few monk tanks.

Saying that monk tanks are bad because you met a terrible one in LFR isn't a very good argument. We have a lot of tools for survival and we are amazing at mitigating damage. Bad player doesn't equal bad class/spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I just healed a 42 monk on my raf double setup.

He was by far the easiest monk to heal ever...even than 90's not saying alot, but it is proving you wrong.

If he pulled alot, he'd use his big cd's, seemed like he used guard on cd, informed him his shuffle uptime should be more than 30%, when he did, man, it was a breeze, I healed a paladin tank RIGHT after...worst tank I've had to heal in a few weeks. By god...probably the player but man.

It doesn't matter what class you play, if you don't use your mitigation right, your gonna suck, and you'll know it or at least your healer will.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
You can't really judge the class while leveling, at least not in the lower levels. Monks do get better the higher they get.

I remember when I hit cata content I think it was, and I tried tanking some dungeons. In there I would get destroyed, but as soon as I hit 90 and jumped into a heroic with my crappy gear I did fine.

The closest I've gotten pre LFR/Normals to even yellow was tanking both the dogs and the big trash pack before xin the weaponmaster on heroic...

Closest I've gotten to yellow, I actually think I hit yellow for about a second or 2.

Its really bad, I wish blizzard implemented better ways to teach purifying brew, I doubt half the brewmaster monks that do any kind of research consider putting it on their bars.
Reply Quote
63 Human Monk
All I heard was "Waaaa! I'm not over powered that means this class sucks!".

Really? That's what you got out of this?

It's just obvious that other tanks, especially paladins, are far superior. People in here have said that monk tanks have been easy to heal, but get real. Have a paladin pull 3-4 sections of mobs (that consist of 3-5 npcs each) versus a monk and see how well it goes. Guard helps a little bit but it goes away quick in this situation. Once it's gone, you're taking so much damage that you're afraid to even use blackout kick instead of either you own self heal or fire breath (for the disorient glyph) because blackout kick takes too much chi to generate to use all the time.

Really, my paladin while leveling could pull this much and more and solo the dungeon himself. Even when he tanked some of cata's raids, it was a breeze compared to anything I've experienced so far with Monk.

You can't just pull this many mobs and expect to survive without the healer breaking his fingers on his keyboard trying to keep you alive, you just can't unless you kite them (which I actually have to do, KITE the mobs, get real). Get a paladin or warrior and block all damage and have way better damage mitigation abilities AND consistent dps AND better heals AND better aoe threat.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/20/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Jirat
Its really bad, I wish blizzard implemented better ways to teach purifying brew, I doubt half the brewmaster monks that do any kind of research consider putting it on their bars.

Probably the best bet to do so would to have PB available at earlier levels, say, 50. It's about at that point where leather wearers' shortcoming in the armor factor actually starts coming into play, and plate tanks begin to shine. By adding a way to cleanse that Stagger for tanks when it starts getting to high, monks would remain competitive at that level, and it teaches them the value of such a useful ability. It would also help them learn the value of Chi management and conservation, between having to use Guard, BoK, or PB. It still baffles me how it's only available at 75.
Edited by Fistlobster on 2/20/2013 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

It's just obvious that other tanks, especially paladins, are far superior. People in here have said that monk tanks have been easy to heal, but get real. Have a paladin pull 3-4 sections of mobs (that consist of 3-5 npcs each) versus a monk and see how well it goes. Guard helps a little bit but it goes away quick in this situation. Once it's gone, you're taking so much damage that you're afraid to even use blackout kick instead of either you own self heal or fire breath (for the disorient glyph) because blackout kick takes too much chi to generate to use all the time.

Really, my paladin while leveling could pull this much and more and solo the dungeon himself. Even when he tanked some of cata's raids, it was a breeze compared to anything I've experienced so far with Monk.

You can't just pull this many mobs and expect to survive without the healer breaking his fingers on his keyboard trying to keep you alive, you just can't unless you kite them (which I actually have to do, KITE the mobs, get real). Get a paladin or warrior and block all damage and have way better damage mitigation abilities AND consistent dps AND better heals AND better aoe threat.

It's obvious you just can't play monks then. If you refuse to learn the intricacies of a very fun spec simply because you can't play them like a paladin or warrior, then this whole thread is an exercise in futility. You have had seasoned brewmasters (and some not-so-seasoned ones, like me!) point out the flaws in your logic and rotations, and have offered you advice and reassurance. Instead, you merely rave like a lunatic that brewmasters are underpowered and refuse to admit that the problem is your stubbornness.

I'll restate what I first said:

If you want easy, go to another class.
If you want a tanking experience that rewards an active playstyle and careful timing to make us effective in any situation, keep leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/20/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Terkøiz
All I heard was "Waaaa! I'm not over powered that means this class sucks!".

After reading this it seems pretty clear you have no idea how to play a monk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

It's just obvious that other tanks, especially paladins, are far superior.

No just no, its really about the player. Unless your in a world first guild then really, its all about the player rather than the class. The classes are that close in comparison. This is coming from healing through 4 raf setups while dpsing/tanking. This is coming from tanking on all classes at 85 since MoP release, and coming from BrM tanking at 90 from low ilevel to 470+.

People in here have said that monk tanks have been easy to heal, but get real. Have a paladin pull 3-4 sections of mobs (that consist of 3-5 npcs each) versus a monk and see how well it goes.

Dont mind if I do, really. Paladins have been the best AoE tank for migitation & threat wise since...BC? Its not to say they cant do single target nor BrM or any other tank cant do aoe. But Warrior/paladin with the blocking migitation mechanic will always be superior until they change that. Get over it. Again, I just healed a 42 monk, who was such a breeze to heal I had to come find this thread just to tell you that your doing something wrong. You should have like 2-3 cd's by now that are 2-3 min. Just don't pull like a monster until those cd's are ready.

I can pull 2-3 packs of mobs in heroics just fine as a BrM. Depending on the pack I'll use diff cd's. I'll save guard for about 3-4 seconds in for vengeance stacking, then use it, keep shuffle up. Might use fort brew or another cd, usually fort since its just simple & guranteed. Expel harm on cd, move side to side for gift of the ox. If its an aoe caster pack I'll use breath of fire to interrupt them. If its a melee pack I'll disarm one for the 5% damage reduction, I'll let sweep as well. Honestly, your not even 70+ stop complaining about this.

Guard helps a little bit but it goes away quick in this situation. Once it's gone, you're taking so much damage that you're afraid to even use blackout kick instead of either you own self heal or fire breath (for the disorient glyph) because blackout kick takes too much chi to generate to use all the time.

Stop letting shuffle fall off then, use expel harm, and just do as much damage possible until then. Your healer has to pull through until then just like you do.

I just did some monkey runs on my paladin. Its still a stupid easy spec to play. Prot probably always will be that way, it just will. You can make a mistake in the priority and not be punished to god like a BrM can. And if thats what you don't like about BrM then go play paladin.

Just wait til you get leg sweep, get the glyph for breath of fire, and in all honesty. Just wait til 80+

I hear people complain about BrM tanking, its a new tank style, its not perfect, I didn't like it at first to heal nor play, but it some time. Now whenever a friend wants me to tank LFR for them or a heroic, I'm glad to. Because its just that much fun, I can usually pull fairly well 2-4 packs given the healer isn't afk and I can do just fine. I might make a mistake or 2 when doing so, it might cost me a death, but if I don't I look like a monster, and make who all say BrM is bad, think twice.

I think I've actually inspired a couple friends to try BrM tanking because of this.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Monk's just require more attention in order to get the same results as other tanks. Yes we are a little more squishy then other tanks (which is why you dont see many monk tanks on highend raiding groups) but it doesn't mean we suck. This is the same back in BC when Pally tanks were master aoe and warrior tanks had to struggle to hold aoe threat (wasn't impossible, they just had to work harder for same results)

Shuffle has to be up at all times, this doesnt mean you cant pull fast it just means inbetween groups you cast 1-2 spells.
1st group keg smash then BoK,
as you roll to next group use Expel Harm once you are at 2nd group jab then BoK
Roll to 3rd group and keg smash then BoK, rinse and repeat.

Once you have the groups you want, it is time to play keep yourself alive. Keep Shuffle up at all costs, get your guard up, dont forget to use the 4th teir stun (great for when guard is on cd). Dont forget about about using Elusive Brew and the most important if your under 35% health you should spam expel harm. And also if dmg is still too high you can always use fort brew

I normally Pull rooms when running heroics, and as i said its not as easy as a warrior or a pally that can just agro and keep running, you just got to remember to BoK before grabbing next group. My favorite boss fight is Jade Template last boss, i can literely solo that whole encounter by myself (i've had to because healer forgets to dispell and everyone but me dies). It is just spamming expel harm when your below 35, chi wave, BoK and Guard.

This expansion is not about Threat like other ones, its about being an active tank. This means using your CD's properly and keeping your self up as much as possible making it less stressful for the healer. That means Shuffle up at all times (or as best you can) Guard and Expel Harm are on CD all the time. Someone mentioned Breath of Fire, its really only for added DPS or if you glyph it a great form of interrupt when your spear hand is down. Also it is useful if your getting in a bind to BoF and then roll backwards and cast dizzying Haze. Gives you a few seconds for healer to top you off before mobs catch up to you.

If you want LOL FACEROLL tanking pick a pally or warrior, but dont blame this class/spec because you do not want to do the extra work. (again this is for basic tanking not highend raid content monks could use some loving for that still).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
lately I've been working on my disc priest, and I just got out of a dungeon with a brewmaster

never before have I realized just how important Blackout Kick is until I saw how difficult it was to keep him alive and noticed he was not using it at all
Reply Quote
68 Undead Monk
Ya im not sure what this kid is whining about. I have been leveling up through tanking dungeons and i have no problem what-so-ever with it. Brewmasters are way different than other tanks. You actually have to pay attention to things is all. Which is what i like. Much less boring than playing other tanks. Learn how to play this class better and you will love it.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Monk
Are you serious? Monk tank is super fun especially when im running all over the dungeon tossing barrels 2 grab all adds. You're doing it wrong.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]