Worst tanking experience ever

90 Pandaren Monk
OP, I suggest you give "Bitten's SpellFlash: Monk" a try.
It will make suggestions on what keys to roll your face over next to maximize your survivability.

It may teach you a thing or two about priorities and what to use when and will quite likely greatly improve the fluidity of your gameplay.

Other than that..
Been doing dungeons since I hit level 15 and never had any issues. Sure, if you don't pay attention to what is going on you will likely die once or twice. But that is more or less a non-issue.

Nowadays I faceroll through heroic dungeons like there is no tomorrow, put up with them "nice" people in LFR and may eventually give proper raids (No, LFR is not a proper raid!) a try at some point (small guild is small).
BrMs are totally viable for just about any tanking situation you can possibly think of.
I do have to say that bringing a healer with you who knows how to handle BrMs helps a LOT :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
lately I've been working on my disc priest, and I just got out of a dungeon with a brewmaster

never before have I realized just how important Blackout Kick is until I saw how difficult it was to keep him alive and noticed he was not using it at all

This has been a common theme for my poor paladin alt currently leveling. 5 or 6 lfg in a row I get monk tanks that think the only way to spend chi is dragon breath. Even on single target fights they are using it instead of BoK, leaving 15 stacks of eb up to rot, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I have never actually tanked on my monk but from a healer's point of view monk tanks next to druid tanks are my least favorite. Granted every so often I get a monk tank that knows how to play their class and tank well. It doesn't happen very often though. I would much prefer a DK or pally for a tank.
Reply Quote
Even end game heroics there are monk tanks who think the only way to spend chi is BoF. Massive pulls because heroics are "rofl easy" then no active mitigation and they get hammered and wonder why I'm poppin CDs on trash pulls. I've had to use revival as a single target CD because of monks not understanding shuffle.

When on my priest there are certain times, knowing what is coming in specific heroics, I will pre SS just because I know they are going to take far more damage then is possible to heal in the first few seconds of the fight.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Terkøiz
All I heard was "Waaaa! I'm not over powered that means this class sucks!".

Really? That's what you got out of this?

It's just obvious that other tanks, especially paladins, are far superior. People in here have said that monk tanks have been easy to heal, but get real. Have a paladin pull 3-4 sections of mobs (that consist of 3-5 npcs each) versus a monk and see how well it goes. Guard helps a little bit but it goes away quick in this situation. Once it's gone, you're taking so much damage that you're afraid to even use blackout kick instead of either you own self heal or fire breath (for the disorient glyph) because blackout kick takes too much chi to generate to use all the time.

Really, my paladin while leveling could pull this much and more and solo the dungeon himself. Even when he tanked some of cata's raids, it was a breeze compared to anything I've experienced so far with Monk.

You can't just pull this many mobs and expect to survive without the healer breaking his fingers on his keyboard trying to keep you alive, you just can't unless you kite them (which I actually have to do, KITE the mobs, get real). Get a paladin or warrior and block all damage and have way better damage mitigation abilities AND consistent dps AND better heals AND better aoe threat.

I leveled 10-64 as a Brewmaster and never experienced the issues you mentioned.The only issues I ever had were with stuns those can be monk tank killers so plan accordingly for the mobs that use them and don't over pull when getting those mobs.Others are coming here and telling you monk tanks are fine it is the players who are the problems.So either everyone else is delusional or you need to adjust to a new playstyle/mechanic.It isn't the class it is you.
Edited by Shenfen on 2/22/2013 3:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This has been a common theme for my poor paladin alt currently leveling. 5 or 6 lfg in a row I get monk tanks that think the only way to spend chi is dragon breath

You think that is bad! I have spent the last 4-5 dungeons (on my monk alt, I love them THAT much <3) with druids that selected tank as a role but never uses bear form (even when we tell them to go bear form) and tanks in their caster form, therefore everyone including myself, gets aggro.

Bad tanks happen regardless of class. Does that mean ALL druids suck at tanking because these guys sucked?

I have had super duper BrM tanks that hardly took any damage at all so I was able to DPS the whole time. I have also had really bad BrM tanks. It's the player behind the toon, not the spec! You can't reason with the OP. He is even dead set against seasoned veterans telling him how to play properly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
OMG i'm getting tired of this bunch of crying babies, really read some guides if you suck as monk tank, i started to tank on my monk a couple of weeks ago, and i absolutely love it, the mobility + high damage + good amount of cc + great self heals + active mitigation makes the monk one of the most enjoyable experiences for a tank.

L2P before you start a QQ thread pls.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Guys he's 52, all this stagger and shuffle advice isn't going to help. You really shouldn't be dieng at that lvl .
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Reflëct
Guys he's 52, all this stagger and shuffle advice isn't going to help. You really shouldn't be dieng at that lvl .

Exactly this. At end game we are solid tanks, at 52 we dont have all of our tools and the OP is QQing because unlike some other tanks at that level, he cant pull the entire instance in one continuous pull. No PB = no getting rid of stagger stacks so there is no true damage reduction going on, we just smooth the damage out at that point. Every other tank class has some type of TRUE damage reduction at his level. Pallys have SotR, warrior have both block and barrier, druids have savage defence (for super high dodge), and although DKs dont have blood shield until 80 they have completely unbalanced self heals meaning they can pretty much solo entire instances if they play smart. Monks have Shuffle (which isnt truly reducing damage without PB), EB (which he isnt gaining stacks from auto attacks if hes always moving forward with the mobs behind him) and guard which isnt going to last long enough when you have 10-15 mobs beating your face in, let alone the 20-30 that the OP seems to want to pull.

@OP Wait until you get to 75. With PB you should have an easier time pulling half the dungeon at a time.
Reply Quote
My leveling experience has been the opposite of the OP...

I pretty much faceroll my way through elite mobs and massive AoE. I over pull. More than I can on any of my other tanks. I've been tanking in WoW since BC - and up until this X-Pac was always at max level on ALL of the tank classes. I had 4 85 Horde tanks, and 3 85 Alliance tanks.

(I left for Guild Wars 2, where I still run an active guild, so I have no 90s in WoW at this point, having only decided to return in January but not fully focusing.)

So I know leveling from both back when it was hard and there were world elites everywhere, and from the last few years where you could faceroll stuff.

But the monk has just been absurd... I feel like I could tank with my eyes closed, my hands tied, the monitor off, and no voice. Just log my toon into the zone, and I don't even need a /win button...

I often have to slow myself down in order to -FORCE- myself to learn the abilities and how they relate... because its so easy while leveling that I have no need to, but I know from experience that once I hit max level things -might- change (the reason I only had 3 alliance tanks was because for ALL of wrath, Paladin tanks could faceroll, so after I did some tanking with the horde paladin, I decided I couldn't handle it being -that- easy and I still have yet to pick up my alliance paladin again)...

At least up to level 75, where I am as of this post... you don't need to know Jack from Jill on a monk to just steamroll through anything.

And its even worse in my heal spec, where I am usually #1 or #2 on DPS -while- healing... but that's another topic...

I seriously hope it gets harder once I hit Pandaville, because I like the concept a lot, and I don't want to table a second tank class for being so easy it bores me.

But since the OP shows as level 52 in this thread as of my post... I am baffled at how they could be having trouble. I can't wipe my toon even if I turn my back on a boss and sit down...

All I can think is that Blizzard maybe just doesn't care to balance for old content, and I hope they have for newer stuff...
Edited by Askala on 2/23/2013 8:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Edimonk
Even end game heroics there are monk tanks who think the only way to spend chi is BoF. Massive pulls because heroics are "rofl easy" then no active mitigation and they get hammered and wonder why I'm poppin CDs on trash pulls. I've had to use revival as a single target CD because of monks not understanding shuffle.

This is my concern.

Leveling tanking has been so faceroll easy I -KNOW- I am missing learning things I will need to know when I hit 90... and while I am an experienced tank and have all of the general concepts / theory down pat - the monk specifics that I am missing picking up right now are going to wipe me hard until I get them... Even my DKs were not this easy, and I felt mostly ready at 80 to start tanking with them in Wrath...
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
02/23/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Edimonk
Exactly this. At end game we are solid tanks, at 52 we dont have all of our tools and the OP is QQing because unlike some other tanks at that level, he cant pull the entire instance in one continuous pull. No PB = no getting rid of stagger stacks so there is no true damage reduction going on, we just smooth the damage out at that point. Every other tank class has some type of TRUE damage reduction at his level. Pallys have SotR, warrior have both block and barrier, druids have savage defence (for super high dodge), and although DKs dont have blood shield until 80 they have completely unbalanced self heals meaning they can pretty much solo entire instances if they play smart. Monks have Shuffle (which isnt truly reducing damage without PB), EB (which he isnt gaining stacks from auto attacks if hes always moving forward with the mobs behind him) and guard which isnt going to last long enough when you have 10-15 mobs beating your face in, let alone the 20-30 that the OP seems to want to pull.

Your right Monks at 52 do not have any abilites that do TRUE damage reduction...
Elusive Brew
(Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 30% for 1 sec per stack of Elusive Brew active, consuming your Elusive Brew charges)

Guard
(You Guard against future attacks, absorbing X damage for 30 sec.
Any heals you apply to yourself while Guarding are increased by 30%.)

Or any way to do Crazy Heals
Desperate Measures
(While at or below 35% health, your Expel Harm has no cooldown.)

Current Chi Wave with a 8 second CD

If only monks at 52 had things other tanks did they would be soo much stronger... I really think this is a PEBCAK issue because monks have the tools to be good tanks at any level. Yes it sucks they dont have PB yet but they have soo many other things they could use at this level.
Edited by Zexualharas on 2/23/2013 8:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Monk tanking is my first time actually playing a tank, i got to say it has been so fun throwing Dizzying Haze every where to get aggro at the start at fights. even tanking/questing from lvl 10 to 90 was a breeze for me, still tanking to this day and pulling like 2-3 packs at at time in dungeons, before 90 too.
Reply Quote
Your right Monks at 52 do not have any abilites that do TRUE damage reduction...

Elusive Brew(Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 30% for 1 sec per stack of Elusive Brew active, consuming your Elusive Brew charges)

Guard(You Guard against future attacks, absorbing X damage for 30 sec.Any heals you apply to yourself while Guarding are increased by 30%.)

Or any way to do Crazy Heals

Desperate Measures(While at or below 35% health, your Expel Harm has no cooldown.)Current Chi Wave with a 8 second CDIf only monks at 52 had things other tanks did they would be soo much stronger... I really think this is a PEBCAK issue because monks have the tools to be good tanks at any level. Yes it sucks they dont have PB yet but they have soo many other things they could use at this level.

I completely forgot about guard, but EB is only useful if you stop and auto attack to gain stacks. The way to OP is talking, he doesnt stop and has all the mobs behind him most of the time so he will not be gaining any stacks, and even if he did you cant dodge attacks from behind.

Also, i didnt say that we werent good tanks at the level the OP is at. I said that the way he wants to pull, he doesnt really have the tools to do it. We can easily get away with big pulls, just not half an instance at a time like some other tanks can.
Reply Quote
47 Orc Monk
I haven't had a problem yet - although i'm only 26. The only thing I find a problem are horrible healers spamming high cost heals and going oom.

I'm actually really enjoying Monk tanking so far.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
02/23/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Edimonk
he cant pull the entire instance in one continuous pull.

Yes you can. Gift of the Ox is especially ridiculous, only 2-3 orbs will take you to full health up to about level 75.

If you can't make Brewmaster work for you at any level before heroic raids, it's you, not the spec.
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Hunter
Brewmasters are the warlocks of the tank world> Work 10 times harder then all the other tank classes to get the same or less results. Sounds fun right?!
Edited by Uyutyt on 2/25/2013 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
02/25/2013 05:14 AMPosted by Uyutyt
Brewmasters are the warlocks of the tank world> Work 10 times harder then all the other tank classes to get the same or less results. Sounds fun right?!

Actually it is fun. Also, if you really want to you can survive perfectly well hitting 6 buttons-I have a macro with elusive brew+expel harm I use for dailies and other loleasy stuff. Other than that it's keg smash, jab, tp, bok, and the occasional purifying. There's nothing all that complex about it. Obviously you will have to weave in the tank cooldowns and other talents once you start hitting harder stuff but so do the other tanking classes these days. I actually regularly use more abilities on my warrior tank than my monk.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/25/2013 05:14 AMPosted by Uyutyt

There's only six rotational abilities you need to press to be a functional Monk tank, power generators and AM: Keg Smash, Jab, Guard, Blackout Kick, EB, and PB.

Let's look at Paladins including power generators and AM: Hammer of the Righteous, Crusader Strike, Shield of the Righteous, Avenger's Shield, Judgment, and Word of Glory. Hm. Six.

Warriors: Shield Slam, Revenge, Thunder Clap, Shield Block, Shield Barrier, and Devastate (because of Sword and Board). Also six. WEIRD.

Druids: Mangle, Thrash, Swipe, Faerie Fire, Frenzied Regen, Savage Defense. HOLY !@#$ SIX.

I don't know anything about DKs to list their abilities here.

I laugh when people equate what Brewmasters do with "hard". It's not "hard". There's nothing challenging about being a brewmaster. The thing that sets BrM's apart from other tanks is that our mitigation is different. It's on shorter CDs and durations and requires more active play. But "active" doesn't equal "hard". It's a playstyle that attracts people, including myself, who have been playing for four years and is looking for something different and exciting.

I honestly want to strangle the people that keep perpetuating this myth that Brewmastering is "hard".
Edited by Meixie on 2/26/2013 1:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
02/25/2013 01:54 PMPosted by Meixie
Let's look at Paladins including power generators and AM: Hammer of the Righteous, Crusader Strike, Shield of the Righteous, Avenger's Shield, Judgment, and Word of Glory. Hm. Six.

To be fair, on most fights Paladins aren't using both Hammer and Crusader Strike... They're on the same linked cooldown, one for single target and one for AoE. They also probably aren't using Word of Glory on cooldown, you need that holy power for Shield.

I'm not that familiar with the tanking rotations of the other classes, but Monks do have a lot more "must press" buttons than Paladins. On that, OP and I agree.

I don't agree, however, that monks are inherently weaker tanks. I leveled by almost exclusively tanking dungeons up until Pandaria, and other than what happens when we get stunned (ouch!) I never felt weaker than my Paladin tank.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]